Pleasants county was formed from Wood, Tyler and Ritchie, by Act of Assembly, March 29, 1851, and named in memory of James Pleasants.
James Pleasants was born in Goochland county, Virginia, in 1769, and after receiving a common school education, studied law in the office of the distinguished William Flemming. In 1796, he was chosen to represent Goochland county in the General Assembly, and was chosen Clerk of that body from 1803 to 1810, when he was elected a member of Congress, in which body he occupied a seat from 1811 to 1819. December 1, 1822, he was elected Governor of Virginia, and by successive reflections served until 1825. He twice declined judicial honors and died in his native county, November 9, 1836.
St. Marys, the county seat, was incorporated March 31, 1851, and William Dils and John Logan were appointed commissioners to hold the first municipal election. The town was then in Wood county.
["History of West Virginia" by Virgil Anson Lewis; Published by Hubbard Brothers, Philadelphia, Pa 1889 Transcribed by Veneta McKinney]
© Genealogy Trails