BARTLETT -- This family of Bartletts is an old one in that portion of West Virginia now known as Taylor county. There they had a plantation and held slaves many years prior to the civil war.
(I) Josiah Bartlett lived and died in Taylor county, Virginia, but little can be learned of his history other than that he married and reared a family, including a son named Jedediah W., and that he or some one connected with his immediate family served in the war of 1812. Josiah Bartlett died in 1872 in the town of Simpson, Taylor county, West Virginia.
(II) Jedediah W., son of Josiah Bartlett, was born in 1822 and died in 1898. He was a farmer and extensive cattle dealer. He was born and reared in Taylor county, Virginia. At the time of the civil war his horses and slaves were all pressed into the Union service, becoming a total loss to him. He married Olive Ryan, a native of Harrison county, Virginia (now West Virginia), born in 1830, died at the age of thirty-five in 1865. Children: Meigs Jackson, of whom further; Josiah, now of Boothsville, Marion county, West Virginia; Sarah E., now Mrs. Edgar D. Hill, of Harrison county.
(III) Meigs Jackson Bartlett, M. D., son of Jedediah W. and Olive (Ryan) Bartlett, was born May 13, 1857, in Taylor county, Virginia (now West Virginia). He had the advantage of the common schools of his native section, later attended West Virginia College, still later graduated from the Normal School at Fairmont, in 1879. He chose law for a profession and after studying that for a time, changed and took up medicine. He attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, Maryland, graduating in 1895. During the year in which he graduated he commenced practice in Clarksburg, where he is still located and enjoys the reputation of being an up-to-date and successful physician and surgeon. The doctor is a financier and owns one of the handsomest homes in the city of Clarksburg, and rents several more houses; besides he is president of a mutual real estate and banking company, and is the president of the Burnsville, Glenville & Parkersburg Railroad Company. Politically he is a supporter of the Democratic party. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; also belongs to the Elks, and is connected with the Baptist church of Clarksburg. He is one of the stockholders and directors of the Union National Bank of the same city, and the American National Bank of Richmond, Virginia.
He was married, October 25, 1883, to Nannie E. Allen, a native of Harrison county, born February 5, 1869, daughter of Stephen C. Allen, who died in 1876; he was a farmer and cattle raiser; also bought and shipped large numbers of cattle. The children born to Dr. Bartlett and wife are: Lala Olive, born February 12, 1886; Mary Lena, born August 23, 1889; Evalyn Meigs, born November 4, 1891.
["Genealogical and personal history of the upper Monongahela valley, West Virginia", 1912, By James Morton Callahan. Transcribed by K.T.]
RICHARD WHITING BLUE, of Pleasanton, was born in Wood County, Va., September 8, 1841; his father in 1842 removed to that portion of Virginia which is now known as Taylor County, W. Va.; he was brought up on a farm near where the city of Grafton is now located; worked on the farm during the summer and attended such select schools as that locality afforded during the winter season (Virginia then had no free common schools); in 1859 he was sent to Monongalia Academy, at Morgantown, Va., which was then under the control of Rev. J. R. Moore, where he remained several years, first as a pupil and later as a teacher; afterwards he entered Washington (Pa.) College, and remained there until he enlisted in the Third West Virginia Volunteer Infantry; served first as private and later as lieutenant in said regiment; was severely wounded at the battle of Rocky Gap, in southwest Virginia; was a prisoner of war at Libby Prison, Richmond, Va., and at Danville, Va., for a short time; the regiment was eventually mounted, and after the Salem raid was changed, by order of the Secretary of War, to the Sixth West Virginia Veteran Cavalry; it finished its services in a campaign on the Plains against the Indians and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kans.; he commanded Company F of said regiment while on the Plains; returning to Grafton, W. Va., after the discharge of his regiment, he taught school and studied law; was admitted to practice in Virginia and went West in 1870, locating in Linn County, Kans , in 1871; is a lawyer by profession and was in active practice when elected to Congress, has been probate judge of his county two terms, county attorney two terms, and a State senator of Kansas two terms; was elected to the Fifty-fourth Congress as a Republican, receiving 147,858 votes, against 114,459 votes for Harris, Populist, 26,093 votes for Lowe, Democrat, and 4,898 votes for Holsinger, Prohibitionist. ["Official Congressional Directory", 1896, By United States. Congress - transcr ibed by K.T.]
M. M. CRANE
Was born at Grafton, Taylor county, West Virginia, November 17, 1853, of old Irish stock. His father, Martin Crane, died in Tennessee in September 1860. His mother, Mary Crane, nee McNulty, died in West Virginia, in 1858.
Hon. M. M. Crane came to Texas in 1870, and alternately taught and attended school, studying law at intervals; was admitted to the bar December 25, 1877; got business from the start and soon built up a fine practice; in November 1878 was elected County Attorney of Johnson county and in 1880 was re-elected to that office; became a member of the law firm of Brown, Ramsey & Crane in 1882, which was dissolved in 1885 and the firm of Crane & Ramsey formed, a connection that continued until 1895; was elected to the House of the Nineteenth Legislature in 1884; declined renomination and re-election in 1886; and in 1888 declined nomination for Twenty-First Legislature, but subsequently made an active canvass of the district in behalf of the local, state and national tickets; was in 1890 elected to the Senate of the Twenty-second Legislature from the Twenty-fourth Senatorial District, composed of Johnson, Hill and Ellis counties; was nominated for and elected Lieutenant Governor in 1892 and presided over the deliberations of the Senate during the session of the Twenty-Third Legislature; in 1894 was nominated for and elected Attorney General of Texas, and in 1896 was renominated for and re-elected to that position. At the session of the Nineteenth Legislature he introduced and pushed to enactment a bill making the rules regulating the taxation of railroad property practically the same as those governing the taxation of other property, and, also the bill compelling the railroad companies of this state to maintain their general offices in Texas, designating what books and records should be kept at same, and fixing adequate penalties for the violation of its provisions. While a member of the Twenty-Second Legislature he actively participated in the formulation and passage of the Railroad Commission Law, and debates in connection therewith. His career as a member of the Legislature, extending through three sessions of that body, is marked by an unbroken fidelity to duty, patriotic devotion to Texas and its people, and a breadth and soundness of statesmanship that found expression in very nearly every important and salutary measure that was adopted.
He was united in marriage to Miss Eula O. Taylor, daughter Rev. W. H. Taylor, now deceased, January 22, 1879, and has an interesting family of children.
Texas has had many eminent Attorney Generals, who have lent dignity and lustre to that office and rendered, while occupying the position, valuable service to the state, one of whom the subject of this notice maybe justly counted. What, however, has particularly endeared him to the people of Texas is the gallantry and ability he has displayed on occasion after occasion, in campaign after campaign, as a Democratic fighter at the front when the enemies of the party swarmed from all quarters eager to compass its defeat. A sound and thorough lawyer, a true Democrat, a magnetic and powerful orator, a man deeply attached to his country-its people and institutions-and with an unshaken faith in the glory of its future, and deeply versed in the principles that underlie government, he has won his way, by much toil and through many vicissitudes, to the distinction he enjoys. He has at all times been true to himself, true to his friends and true to the people of Texas. ["Texas State Government: a volume of biographical sketches and passing comment", 1897, By E. H. Loughery - transcribed by K.T.]
MARMADUKE H. DENT
The youngest judge of the Supreme Court of West Virginia is Judge Dent. He was born in Monongalia County, April 18, 1849. He is the son of Marshall M. Dent and Mary Caroline Dent, the latter a daughter of Dr. D. W. Strong of Quincy, Mass. From both sides of his family he inherits strong qualities of mind. His grandfather, Dr. D. W. Roberts, was an original Republican, a man of prominence in his day, and a delegate to the convention at Chicago that nominated Abraham Lincoln for President, however, has always been a Democrat.
His early life was spent in his native county. He graduated from the West Virginia University in 1870, and was the first graduate of that institution. After graduating he was a teacher for some years, and in 1875 was admitted to the bar and practised law at Grafton, Taylor County, for almost twenty years. In 1892 he was elected a member of the Supreme Court of this State. He is now the president of the court.
He is of a judicial mind, and achieved success at the bar before he went on the bench. He is an eloquent and logical speaker. Has the capacity for hard work, and gives to the causes submitted to him an intelligent mind carefully trained, and his opinions are marked by the most careful research and supported by ample authorities. It is not unusual for him to support his judgment with a line of opinions unanswerable, and on points deemed only secondary by the counsel in the cause, and yet, after reading the opinion of Judge Dent, they readily observe their weight and correctness.
Judge Dent is conscientious and of a deeply religious character. He is often in his opinions and reasoning quite facetious and novel in his style. In the recent case of Atkinson v. Plumb, 45 W. Va., a controversy between two members of the same church, he uses this language : " But while it was the hand of Esau, it was the voice of Jacob. His confidence was abused under the guise of friendship, which blinded his eyes and he was despoiled by those of his own household ; and with the earnest plea for retribution he seeks justice against his despoilers. What we have we freely give unto him, - the suit appears to be a contest over a bag of wind."
Judge Dent is of a genial disposition, agreeable and gentle in his bearing, positive in his convictions, fearless in their expression, qualities that fit him to so ably fill the position he now occupies.
It has been my pleasure to know him intimately in college and in the intervening years, and the qualities he displayed in his college days have ripened into a rich fruitage.
He is still a young man, and bids fair to take a still more prominent part in the State and nation.
["The Green Bag: a Useless But Entertaining Magazine for Lawye rs", Vol. 12, 1900 -- transcribed by K.T.]
Heroic Woman --- Heroic combats with the panther were not confined to the men alone. Tradition and history abounds with the intrepidity of the pioneer women, in every phase of wilderness life. One winter day a panther entered the yard of a Mr. Gothrup, living in now Taylor County, West Virginia, and caught a sheep. In the absence of her husband, Mrs. Gothrup seized a rifle and shot the marauder, breaking its back. Disabled, the savage animal lay writhing in pain, uttering frightful growls and shrieks. Having no more powder, Mrs. Gothrup requested a neighbor who was passing, to dispatch it with an axe. This honor was declined, and the courageous woman took the axe and with a well-directed blow ended its misery. ["The border settlers of northwestern Virginia from 1768 to 1795, embracing the Life of Jesse Hughes", 1915 ... By Lucullus Virgil McWhorter -- transcribed by K.T.]
Jacob Jones, born in 1732 and left fatherless almost from his birth, was adopted by a wealthy planter near Wilmington and lived with his foster parents until he became of age. In his early manhood he married Dinah, or Diana, Stanton, a young lady of the same neighborhood, three years younger than himself. Jacob, always fond of hunting and "a dead shot" early developed those pioneer traits which distinguished his career. Some time after his marriage he moved to Va., nears his step-father, and his mother, resided and about 1770 moved with them into the wilderness across the Alleghany Mountains. Unlike his step-father, he settled on the west side of the Monongahela River on Dunkard creek, near the present town of Pentres, W. Va. This was known then as the Indian side of the river and the place he selected was then on the extreme frontier. They started out in life poor and cast their lot in the wilderness across the mountains from the scenes of their youth; they brought with them nothing, but at the close of their lives they were well-to-do and were loved and respected by all. Their adventures, struggles and hardships if fully described would require volumes. Fights with Indians and hunting expeditions are still being told over and over again, but they left as a legacy to their children something far better than the land which they pre-empted, or tales of adventurepurity of character, strong, vigorous, healthy bodies, piety, honest and frugality. These are the traits which have made their children and their children's children leaders and bulwarks of society in the communities in which they have lived and still live. The assets of those times, however, consisted in adventure and the bare necessities of life. Constant vigilance was the law of life and the rifle was as essential as any article of apparel. Always in danger, they suffered from three well-organized raids of the Indians, 1774, 1777 and 1778. In the outbreak of 1774 the settlers were warned by scouts of the approach of the Indians and most of the people were sent to for at Morgantown, about seventeen miles away. Jacob Jones's wife was not in condition to travel. The children were sent to the fort and the father and mother resolved to stay in their cabin and, if necessary, die together. A scout by the name of Morgan who was watching the approach of the Indians, again warned them that the Indians were almost upon them and practically forced Jacob and his wife to set out for the fort. After proceeding for about five miles Dinah gave birth to William Jones. Morgan carried the new-born babe and the rifles, and Jacob, his wife, and the march to the fort was resumed. The rest of the journey through an untrod and unbroken forest and through creeks and rivers, may be left to the imagination. During the year 1775 or 1776 a fort was built only a short distance from their home on the old Stattler farm, now owned by L.R. Shriver, and during the outbreak of 1777 the families resided at the fort and the men and children, who were old enough, went out in armed squads to cultivate their crops. On the evening of July 13, 1777, a party consisting of Jacob Farmer and his daughter, Susie, Jacob Jones, and his oldest children, Mary, aged twelve, and John aged eleven, Alexander Clegg, Nathan Worley and John marsh went to the home of Jacob Farmer, expecting to hoe corn on the morrow. The house was surrounded by a band of twenty Indians and an attack was made about daylight on the morning of the 14the. Nathan Worley and Jacob Farmer were killed and Susie Farmer and Mary and John Jones captured. Jacob Jones escaped by rushing out past the Indians, running first over the bank of the stream and then along the waters' edge under the protection of the bank. Three Indians followed him and finally forced him to leave the stream. He then ran up the hill along the fence of the clearing. The Indians at first hoped to catch him alive but finding that they could not do this without endangering their own lives, they each fired at him. One shot passed through his ear, another hit his belt and a third passed between his legs. His escape was almost miraculous as he later stated that as he left the house no less than fifteen Indians shot at him. On the hill Jacob met marsh who had gone out before the attack to hunt game for breakfast. Together they saw the captured children being dragged by the Indians up the hill on the opposite side of the creek. Jacob started to follow but was restrained with difficulty by Marsh, knowing that if Jacob had shot an Indian the children would have been killed before their eyes. In the meantime Glegg had also escaped by running into the stream and had carried the news to the fort where he was soon joined by the other survivors. The militia attempted to follow the Indians, but nothing came of the pursuit. The children were taken westward across the Ohio. Susie Farmer was unable to keep up with the warriors and was tomahawked and scalped, the other children being witnesses of the bloody scene. On the way John devised a plan to escape, but was dissuaded by Mary who told him that they could not find their way back and even if they could they could not cross the big river. John and Mary were adopted into different family of the Wyandotte's and lived near Sandusky, Ohio. After arriving at Sandusky the children were made to run the "gauntlet" which they did successfully to the gratifications of their captors. On the whole the children were treated as kindly as the Indians' method of living would admit and their hardships were probably no greater than those which the Indians had to undergo themselves. Mary was especially obedient and, consequently was held in high esteem, but John never became reconciled and was always planning to escape. Finding at last, after 5 years of persuasion, that he could not induce Mary to join him, John's desire to get away became so great the he left his sister, ran away and finally reached Detroit. Here he entered the family of a Doctor Harvey where he was treated as a son given as good schooling as the times afforded, and as much knowledge of medicine as the Doctor could give. John started for England to complete his medical course and got as far as Montreal when a desire to see his people if any were yet living, caused him to return and go to Pittsburg instead. Jacob Jones, learning of this fact went after him and took him home. In all John was away eleven years, five at Sandusky and six at Detroit. Mary remained with the Indians for ten years during which the members of the family which adopted her, all died. She made her way to Detroit and was taken into the family of General McCoombs. Three years later she married Peter Malott and settled first on Grosse Isle and then at Kingsville, Ontario. The marriage was a most happy one and their many descendants are among the most prosperous and respected citizens of that community. Peter Malott died in 1815 and Mary or `Aunt Polly' as she was familiarly known still longing to see her people, set out in 1817 to visit Virginia. She crossed the lake to Cleveland and went the rest of the way on foot. A remarkable family reunion thus occurred after a separation of forty years. On her return two of her brothers accompanied her as far as Cleveland, all on horseback. It is now the custom of the Jones family to hold its reunion every third year with the Malotts at Kingsville, Ontario. Returning to the further experiences of Jacob Jones, Sr., after the capture of his children, he moved his family to a safer position on Cheat River, but he, himself served in the militia on the frontier until the close of the Revolutionary war, when the militiamen were replaced by regulars. For some time afterward he lived on Cheat Bottom, now Tucker County, W. Va., where he had a grant of land. In 1794, he obtained a grant of land near Knottsville, W. Va., where he spent the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort. Both Jacob and his wife died in the summer of 1828 aged, respectively, 96 and 93 years. In 1904, the family reunion was held near the spot where this remarkable couple was buried and monument erected over their graves was dedicated to their memory.
The children of Jacob and Dinah Jones, in the order of their birth were: Mary (Malott), John, Benjamin, Samuel, William, Jacob Jr., Rebecca (Powers), and Martha (Powers).
Mary married Peter Malott and had the following children: Joseph, Mary, Anne, and Peter and two who died in infancy. She was born in Delaware or in Loudon County, Va., in 1764 and died in Kingsville, Ontario, Oct. 16, 1845.
John Jones was born in Delaware or Loudon County in 1766 and died in 1850.
[Contributed by Carla Mascara - Ross Co OH]
History discloses the fact that this Linn family came from good old Scotch-Irish ancestry, and that among its scions were revolutionary soldiers, eminent judges, attorneys, physicians and politicians, of much more than the ordinary ability and influence, especially in the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the Virginias, and Missouri. Later generations intermarried with the New England family of Newcombs; hence the following narrative will treat, to some extent of both families, which include the well known attorney-at-law in West Virginia and Charleston, Robert G. Linn.
(I) Joseph Linn, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born in 1725, and died April 8, 1800. He married Martha Kirkpatrick, a native of the city of Belfast, Ireland, born in 1728; died March 7, 1791, daughter of Andrew Kirkpatrick. Joseph Linn was an adjutant in the Second Regiment of Sussex Militia, of Virginia, during the revolutionary struggle, Aaron Hankinson being the colonel. Joseph and Martha (Kirkpatrick) Linn had four sons and four daughters:
1. Alexander, born in 1753, married Hannah, daughter of Nathan and Uphamy (Wright) Armstrong.
2. David, married Sarah, daughter of Brigadier-General Aaron Hankinson, and they had eight children among whom were: Alexander, married and removed to Ohio; Mattie, married Jacob Shepherd: Polly, unmarried; Margaret, married a Mr. Shepherd; Aaron, married Eliza Hankinson, and settled in Finleyville, Pennsylvania.
3. Andrew, mentioned below.
4. Margaret, married Hon. Joseph Gaston, paymaster of the Sussex Militia, during revolutionary war days.
6. Ann, married Jacob Hull.
7. Martha, married (first) Isaac Schaeffer, (second) Joseph Desmond; she died in 1830, and was buried at Sandusky, Ohio; the Rev. Isaac Desmond was her son.
8. John, married in 1791, Martha Hunt, daughter of Lieutenant Richard Hunt; children: Elizabeth, married Rev. Edward Allen; Sarah, married Nathan Armstrong Shafer; Andrew, married Isabelle Beardslee; Mary Ann, married Rev. Benjamin I. Lowe; Caroline, married Dr. Roderick Byington; Alexander, a doctor at Deckertown, married Julia Vibbert; William H., who was also a physician. The father of these children, John Linn, was appointed to the court of common pleas of Sussex County, Virginia, in 1805, serving until his death in 1823. He was twice a member of congress and died at Washington, D. C., during his second term. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church at Hardyston.
(II) Andrew, son of Joseph Linn, was born in 1759, and died in 1799. He studied medicine at Log Goal. He married Ann Carnes, of Blandensburg, Maryland, and they were the parents of five children: 1. Robert, mentioned below. 2. Margaret, married Major William T. Anderson, of Newton. 3. Mary, married David Ryerson. 4. Martha, married (first) Hugh Taylor, and (second) Richard R. Morris, of New York. 5. Alexander, settled at Easton, Pennsylvania.
(III) Robert, son of Andrew Linn, was born April 20, 1781. He probably came to Virginia from Pennsylvania about 1810, and located in what was then Harrison County, now in Marion County, West Virginia, where he died September 9, 1834. He was by occupation a farmer and miller. He married Catherine Lyon, born in Pennsylvania, October 18, 1788. He and his family resided at Linn's Mills. Children: Mary Jane, married Smith M. Hensill, and died in Portland, Oregon; Priscilla, married Newton Maxwell; Nancy, married Newton's brother, Milton Maxwell, of Butler, Pennsylvania; Sarah, married Isaac Courtney; Louisa, married Dr. John T. Cooper, of Parkersburg; Benjamin, married Sarah Shriver; and Robert, mentioned below.
(IV) Robert (2), son of Robert (1) and Catherine (Lyon) Linn, was born in Marion County, West Virginia, while it was yet within Old Virginia, December 27, 1813, and died December 7, 1860. He studied law in the office of Hon. Edgar C. Wilson, of Morgantown, Virginia, and was subsequently admitted to the bar at Pruntytown, Taylor county, in 1846; later he practiced law in Gilmer County, West Virginia. For four terms in succession he served as prosecuting attorney, having been elected on the Whig ticket, and he was serving in that office at the date of his death. He held other offices of trust and importance, in which he served with faithfulness and much ability. He was among the best known men of his section and bore the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. Mr. Linn was an elder in the Presbyterian church. He married in Fairmont, West Virginia, Sophronia S. Newcomb, born in Greenfield, Massachusetts, in 1816, daughter of Ebenezer (2) and Sophronia (Smith) Newcomb (see Newcomb VI). She was a woman of rare intelligence and refinement, and a lifelong worker in the Presbyterian church. She was only two years of age, when her family removed to Fairmont: hence her life was largely spent in what is now West Virginia, and she died in August, 1890. Children: 1. Mary S., born September 21, 1841, married Newton B. Bland, who died in March, 1896; she died January 28, 1910, leaving three children: Robert Linn Bland, now an attorney at Weston, West Virginia, who married and has four children; George Linn Bland, assistant cashier of the Citizen's National Bank of Weston; Hattie, of Weston, West Virginia. 2. Nancy Catherine Lyon, born May 3, 1845, married Marion T. Brannon, of Glenville, West Virginia; she has three living children: Hon. Linn Brannon, ex-judge of the circuit court; Alice, of Fairmont; Howard R., a bank cashier of Glenville. 3. Robert G., mentioned below.
(V) Robert G., son of Robert (2) and Sophronia (Newcomb) Linn, was born April 6, 1849, at Glenville, West Virginia (then Virginia) and was reared and educated as most youths of his time were, commencing in the common schools and later at Witherspoon Institute. When eighteen years of age, he became assistant clerk in the circuit clerk's office, at Clarksburg, where he remained three years. In 1869 he entered the Cincinnati Law School, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in 1870. His instructors at law school were Ex-Governor Hoadley, Bellamy Storer, and H. A. Morrill. After his graduation he took up law practice at Glenville, the town of his birth, where he became prosecuting attorney, serving one term. He was two years in Gilmer county, and twelve in Calhoun county, West Virginia, where he served two years as prosecuting attorney. He then returned to Glenville, in March, 1884, and remained there until 1900, being associated in law with Hon. John S. Withers. In 1900 he went to Charleston, Kanawha County, this state, where he now resides and practices his profession. He has been associated, as partner in law business in Charleston, with George Byrne, now of the Manufacturers' Record, and also with William E. R. Byrne, his present law partner, having also his son, Robert Linn, as a member of the firm. Mr. Linn maintains offices at Sutton, Weston and Glenville, this state, having partners in each locality. From 1873 to 1907, he had for a partner, Hon. John M. Hamilton, with offices at Grantsville, Calhoun County. It goes almost without saying that Mr. Linn has to do with much of the important legal business in this section of West Virginia, having so many sub-offices, the important cases pass through his hands for final investigation. Politically, he is a Democrat. In religious faith, he is of the Presbyterian Church. In fraternal connections, he is numbered among the members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Glenville.
He married at Weston, West Virginia, June 12, 1876, Mary Hamilton, who was born, reared and educated at that place. Her parents were Dr. J. M. and Mary (Lorentz) Hamilton, her mother being the daughter of John, and the granddaughter of Jacob Lorentz, of pioneer fame in this state. John Lorentz married Mary Roger; both are now deceased. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Linn, probably not in order of birth, were: 1. Ernest, died young. 2. George, died June 22, 1908, while a law student at the University of West Virginia. 3. Edna, born June 25, 1878, educated at Wilson College, Pennsylvania; taught in normal schools, is now at home. 4. Mary, born April 25, 1880, educated at the Normal School of Glenville, West Virginia, and Hollister Seminary, Roanoke. Virginia, now at home. 5. Harriet, born March 30, 1884; graduated first in high school, then from the Glenville Normal School, and later as a trained nurse at Washington, D. C. 6. Robert, born July 25. 1882, graduated at the law school of the University of West Virginia, in the class of 1906, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws; was admitted to the bar the same year, and has been associated in law business with his father, at Charleston, ever since. 7. Ruth, born October 25, 1886, is fitting herself as a trained nurse, at Washington, D. C. 8. John Hamilton, born December 6, 1892, now in high school.
The Newcomb Line.
As above referred to, the Linn and Newcomb families are intermarried, and this fragment of the Newcomb genealogy naturally finds a place here:
(I) Francis Newcomb, born in England, 1605, came to the American colonies, 1635, with his wife, whose name was Rachel.
(II) Peter, son of Francis and Rachel Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 16, 1648; married, April, 1672, Susanna Cutting, daughter of Richard Cutting, of Watertown, Massachusetts.
(III) Jonathan, son of Peter and Susanna (Cutting) Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 1, 1685, married Deborah; and their children included Benjamin, of whom below.
(IV) Benjamin, son of Jonathan and Deborah —— Newcomb, was born at Braintree, Massachusetts, April 9, 1719, removed to Norton, Massachusetts, and died in 1801. He married, November 24, 1743, Mary, daughter of John and Mercy Everett, of Dedham.
(V) Rev. Ebenezer Newcomb, son of Benjamin and Mary (Everett) Newcomb, was born at Norton, Massachusetts, in November, 1754; he was a carpenter by trade, also a farmer and a Baptist minister. He fought in the war for national independence, being a member of Captain A. Clapp's company. He died February 13, 1829. He married Wealthy Willis, February 23, 1779, and she died May 11, 1818.
(VI) Ebenezer (2), son of the Rev. Ebenezer (1) and Wealthy (Willis) Newcomb, was born October 22, 1785; was a carpenter, and cabinet maker. He removed from Greenfield, Massachusetts, to Fairmont, Virginia, now in West Virginia, where he died in 1859. He married Sophronia Smith, born December 24, 1792. Their daughter, Sophronia, born December 6, 1816, died in August, 1890. She was a native of Deerfield, Massachusetts, came to Virginia, with her parents when two years of age; she married Robert (2) Linn and became the mother of Robert G. Linn (see Linn V). [West Virg inia and Its People, Volume 2 By Thomas Condit Miller, Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by AFOFG]
GEORGE LUZADDER, who died at his home in Richland township more than twenty years ago and whose widow is still living there, very comfortably situated at her pleasant farm home on rural mail route No. 1 out of Redkey, was for years one of the substantial and influential farmers of that section of Jay county and at his passing left a good memory. Mr. Luzadder was a Virginian, born in Taylor county in what since Civil war days has been West Virginia on March 24, 1839, and was a son of John and Sarah (Boley) Luzadder, both of whom also were born in that section of Virginia. Of the seven children born to John Luzadder and wife, two-William and Nancy-are still living. The others, besides the subject of this memorial sketch, were Aaron, Elizabeth, John and Moses. Reared on a farm, George Luzadder remained in Virginia until he was twenty years of age, when-in 1859-he came to Indiana and became engaged in farm labor in Henry county. Two years later he married there and then began farming on his own account, presently coming to Jay county, where in 1866 he bought his first tract of land, a "forty" in Richland township, and there established his home. In that same year he bought an adjoining "forty" and twelve years later bought an adjacent tract of twenty-five acres, this giving him a farm of 105 acres, which he improved in excellent fashion and brought up to a high state of cultivation. As his affairs prospered Mr. Luzadder added to his land holdings until he became the owner of 375 acres in Richland and Jefferson townships and was accounted one of the substantial farmers of that section.
Mr. Luzadder was a Democrat and ever gave a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs, but was not a seeker after public office. He died at his home in Richland township on March 7, 1898, and his widow is still making her home there, renting her farm. It was on December 19, 1861, in Henry county, this state, that George Luzadder was united in marriage to Nancy J. Lake, who was born in that county, a member of one of the pioneer families there, and had received her schooling in one of the typical log school houses of the time and place. Mrs. Luzadder's parents, William and Mary (Current) Lake, were Virginians, born in that section of the Old Dominion now included in West Virginia, and came to Indiana some time after their marriage, driving through with a covered wagon and settling on a tract of forty acres which William Lake had "entered" in Henry county. When they came to Indiana they had one child. Four others were born in Henry county. Of these children two are still living, Mrs. Luzadder having a brother, Julius C. Lake. Those deceased were Tames E., Jeremiah and Sylvanus. To George and Nancy J. (Lake) Luzadder seven children were born, namely: Nettie, Savannah (deceased), John W., Rebecca (deceased), Rosa, Miriam and Minnie (deceased).
Nettie Luzadder married Jerry Jenkins, a farmer of Jefferson township, this county, and has two children, Garnet and Lake. Savannah Luzadder, who died on April 4, 1919, married John Stewart, of Richland township, and had five children, two of whom- Lina and Ivy-are living, the others having been Carl and Sarah and one who died in infancy. Rebecca Luzadder, who died in March, 1910, was the wife of Charles Smith, of Jefferson township. Rosa Luzadder married George Retter, a farmer, now living in Wayne county, this state. Miriam Luzadder married Oscar Smith, a farmer of Jefferson township, and has had two children, Trevah and Vina, the last named of whom is now deceased. Minnie Luzadder, who died on December 10, 1899, was the wife of Park Burden, of Jefferson township. John W. Luzadder is unmarried and continues to make his home on the farm. ["History of Jay County, Indiana...", Volume 2, 1922, By Milto n T. Jay, M. D. -- transcribed by K.T.]
J. Truman Nixon
J. Truman Nixon spent part of his early youth in the State of ?Ohio?, where he attended country schools and May 23, 1887, graduated from the St. Paris High School, the following year was spent at Dennison University at Granville , Ohio . His practical preparation for life consisted in discipline in farm work and as clerk in his father's store and others at St. Paris , Ohio . In July 1887 he returned to the old homestead in Taylor County, West Virginia, where he built his career to prosperity operating a large stock farm, making a specialty of raising registered Shorthorn cattle and Berkshire hogs, continuing that business until April 15, 1905. He still owns his farm and coal lands in that state and others in Oklahoma ,
In the meantime he had become actively associated with the coal, oil and gas business. In 1891 and 1892 he was connected with the Camden coal interests at Monongah , West Virginia . In 1899 he was employed with the South Penn Oil Company's land department in West Virginia and continued with that firm and other affiliated Standard interests until 1906. From March, 1903, until the beginning of 1905 he had charge of the land department in Indian Territory for Prairie Oil & Gas Company.
During 1905 he was employed by the Virginias Rai lway Company (Standard Interest) in West Virginia and Virginia in buying lands for that corporation, and bought what is known as "Oney Gap" (Tunnel) for this company. In November, 1905, he and associates sold a large coal area in Barbour County , West Virginia , after which he has confined his efforts to Illinois and Oklahoma oil and gas fields, spending the entire year of 1906 in the Illinois field. He became manager of the land department for the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company at Tulsa , in January, 1907, and now has several prominent associations with local industrial and financial corporations.
Mr. Nixon organized the Tulsa Engineering and Supply Company. He is one of the vice presidents of the Merchants and Planters Bank of Tulsa, a stockholder in the National Bank of Commerce, a stockholder in the Guarantee Abstract & Title Company, sole owner of the Indian records, an abstract business dealing exclusively with work and records of the Department of the Interior which is the only successful office of the kind conducted within the range of our knowledge, furnishing abstracts of all departmental leases and enrollment and allotment records, his business dealing particularly with oil and gas.
Mr. Nixon has studied and has a comprehensive knowledge of the law but never cared for practice before the bar, choosing to act in the capacity of councilor, which coupled with his experience and knowledge of men and affairs, makes him a very strong man.
Mr. Nixon is affiliated with the Tulsa Lodge No. 71, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; with Tulsa Chapter No. 52, Royal Arch Masons; with Tulsa Commandery No. 22, Knights Templars; with Trinity Council No. 20, Royal and Select Masters; Akdar Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and Tulsa Chapter No. 133 Eastern Star. He is also a Knight of Pythias and became a charter member of Black Diamond Lodge No. 72 at Monongah , West Virginia , when it was organized in 1892.
Politically his party affiliations are republican but independent of the party whip and he is a man who has many staunch friends in every walk of life.
Mr. Nixon was married August 18, 1892, to Florence B. Jolliffe. Mrs. Nixon was born near Uniontown, Wetzel County , West Virginia . A daughter of Amos and Mary Jolliffe, another very old English family that can boast of an unbroken line for nearly 500 years. Her forefathers coming to America about 1645. Later we find the male descendants serving in General Washington 's army where they acquitted themselves with credit and distinction. In old England they served their kings well and were remembered by their rulers with favor. Some evidence is Jolliffe Coat of Arms, Argent on a pile Azure, three Dexter Gauntlets of the field; Jolliffe Crest, a cubit arm erect vested and cuffed, the sleeve charged with a pile Argent, the hand grasping a sword (P. P. D.) Motto: Tout que je puis. [Source: A standard history of Oklahoma : Volume 4; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn; Pg. 1597; Publ. 1916; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
This family has been known to have been residents of Virginia since the latter years of the eighteenth century, and possibly one generation before that date.
(I) James Rightmire, was brought up if not born in Barbour County, Virginia. Among his children was a son named Alpheus, of whom further.
(II) Alpheus Rightmire, son of James Rightmire, was a native of Taylor County, Virginia, born in 1821. He followed farming for his occupation, and was sturdy and successful in his undertakings in life, being an excellent citizen and prosperous. He married and had children, including a son called Adolphus, of whom further.
(III) Adolphus Rightmire, son of Alpheus Rightmire, was born in Taylor County, Virginia, near the city of Grafton, March 16, 1851. He was educated at the public schools and at the West Virginia College, near Flemington. For five years he taught school winters and went to school at other periods. He engaged in the growing and shipping of cattle for five years. In 1884 he embarked in the mercantile business at Grafton. In 1893 he organized the first wholesale grocery company in Grafton, Pennsylvania. Two years later he sold out this business, and in 1899 removed to Morgantown, where he engaged in the real estate and lumber business, being a large owner in realty and other valuable property. Since 1895 ne has been engaged in the oil industry, owning five wells in Greene County, Pennsylvania. Politically Mr. Rightmire is a Jeffersonian Democrat. He belongs to the Elks order. He married, in September, 1877, Augusta, daughter of J. H. Barnes, of Taylor County, West Virginia. Children: Byron W., of whom further; Ina, Edna, Beulah. Mrs. Rightmire died in May, 1889.
(IV) Byron W. Rightmire, son of Adolphus and Augusta (Barnes) Rightmire, was born in Taylor County, West Virginia, March 31, 1880. He secured a good education at the public school and later entered the West Virginia University. After leaving the University he had charge of the water, gas and electricity in Morgantown. He then went to Oklahoma and engaged in the grocery business, also handled large quantities of meats. From that he shifted to the real estate business, and after two years located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he took up real estate work. Upon his return to Morgantown he engaged in lumber and builder's supplies, under the firm name of Rightmire & Shriver. Their factory was burned and Mr. Rightmire, with his father, rebuilt the plant, where the business is now carried on. Mr. Rightmire purchased thirty-five acres of land, formed a stock company, known as Lockview Land and Water Company, of which his father was president and he acting secretary and treasurer. He then bought a large tract of land under the firm name of Rightmire, Rohsbough & Thornhill, called the West Morgantown First Addition. With all of these various business operations, Mr. Rightmire has accumulated considerable property. He belongs to the Elks order. In December, 1909, he married Nellie, daughter of Henry Baker. [Source: GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL OF THE Upper Monongahela Valley, WV Vol. III; By James Morton Callahan; Edited by Bernard L. Butcher; Publ. 1912; Pgs. 959-960; Transcribed by Andrea Stawski Pack]
The name Scott is originally a Scotch n ame. Originally it meant "the Scotchman," as in the case of the famous Duns Scotus. Long before regular surnames were in use, Scotchmen going into England received this appellation, and it is thought that afterward, on returning into Scotland, they sometimes retained it. The name is found in Scotland in the time of Charlemagne, perhaps long before. In the Norman period, this name was taken by some persons having Scotch blood. From the eleventh century, it is a common surname. Many early immigrants to America bore this name, among others progenitors of New England, Pennsylvania, and Virginia families. The name is much more common to-day in the south than in the north; of the western and northwestern Scotts, many are of southern descent.
(I) Sandy M. Scott, the first member of this family about whom we have definite information, was a builder. He married Rachel Davis. Child: J. P., of whom further.
(II) J. P., son of Sandy M. and Rachel (Davis) Scott, was born in Taylor county, West Virginia, April 21, 1857. He attended the public schools, and for two years the State Normal School at Fairmont, from which he graduated in 1879. He entered the office of Judge Lucas, at Charles Town, Jefferson county, West Virginia, and in 1886 was admitted to the bar at Grafton, Taylor county, West Virginia, where he practiced for one year. Thereupon he removed to St. George, Tucker county, from thence going, when the county seat was changed, to Parsons, where he has enjoyed a good law practice. He is a member (has been president and is now on the executive committee) of the Tucker County Bar Association, and is a member of the State Bar Association. Both in the civil and in the criminal courts, he has been connected with many of the noteworthy cases of the last twenty years. In various cases he has served as special judge, and he is now master in chancery. He is counsel for the Kendall Lumber Company and other corporations. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank at Parsons, was elected its vice-president, and is now a director and its counsel. In politics Mr. Scott is an active Democrat. He has been delegate to various conventions, and is now congressional committeeman of the second district. For several years he was chairman of the executive committee of Tucker county. He is now serving his fourth term as mayor of Parsons. He is a director of the Ozark Lime and Cement Company. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He married June, daughter of J. M. Adams, of Taylor county. Children: Lalah, a student at West Virginia Wesleyan College; Ethel, graduating from the Parsons high school, 1913. [Source: West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
OLE EVERETT WYCKOFF
O. E. Wyckoff, son of Daniel B. and Susan Virginia Wyckoff, was born in Taylor County, West Virginia, September 6, 1878. This branch of the Wyckoff family came to America in 1637 and settled on Long Island, within a short distance of the end of the present Brooklyn, New York, Bridge, where the family remained for a term of years, and some of them moved to Western Virginia in what is now Taylor County, West Virginia, where our subject was born, as stated above. He received his education in the public schools of that section and in the well-known West Virginia College, a school of excellent standing, for many years, from which he graduated with an honorable record. He then became a student at the West Virginia University, receiving instruction in the higher branches of the University curriculum. He taught in the public schools of his native locality for four years, and having decided upon the law as a profession, he studied legal textbooks in the law office of Charles Preston Guard at Grafton, the seat of justice of Taylor County. He re-entered the West Virginia University for the purpose of completing his law studies in 1903, and in 1904 he successfully passed the required examination, and was admitted to practice at the City of Grafton in May, 1904, where he has since resided, and is conducting a successful and profitable law business. His reputation is that of a sound chancery lawyer, who gives close attention to his business in the State and Federal Courts, which has steadily increased since the day he "hung out his shingle." He is retained counsel for a number of corporations, among which are the Taylor County Bank at Grafton, the Flemington Bank, etc. He has also handled several estates of considerable proportions. He has served as Commissioner in Chancery, Commissioner of Accounts, Attorney for the City of Grafton, and is now and has been since 1907 Referee in Bankruptcy in the United States Court for the Northern District of West Virginia. His reputation all the while has been that of a conscientious, painstaking attorney, who deals justly and honorably with all men in all of his business transactions.
While he is a Republican in politics, and his resident county is stoutly of his political faith, he has never sought political favors, because he loves his profession, and adheres to it with tenacity and remarkable fidelity; consequently he is a sound and safe lawyer, and has a profitable clientele.
Mr. Wyckoff married Miss Mayme Bailey, of Flemington, West Virginia, July 12, 1905, and they have one son - Everett Bailey Wyckoff - who was born July 21, 1906. Among their friends they are social, joyful and happy. They are members of the First Baptist Church of the City of Grafton, and are reliable citizens of that community. ["Bench and Bar of West Virginia", 1919, By George Wesley Atkinson - Transcribed by K.T.]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails