Welcome to West Virginia Genealogy Trails

Welcome to West

			 VA Genealogy Trails

line

Tucker County, WV
Biography

line

William G. Conley
Conley, William G., attorney-general of West Virginia, was born Jan. 8, 1866, in Kingwood, W. Va., of Scotch-Irish parentage. He received a thorough education and graduated from West Virginia University with the degree of LL.B. For many years he was engaged in educational work, and has been county superintendent of the free schools of Preston County, W. Va. He was also mayor of Parsons for one term. He is one of the rising lawyers of his state, and for two terms was states attorney for Tucker County, W. Va. He is also the editor of the Parsons City Advocate, and contributes extensively to current literature. Mr. Conley was a member of the congressional committee of the second West Virginia district; chairman of the republican executive committe of his county; and one of the assistant secretaries of the St. Louis convention that nominated McKinley for president in 1896. Since 1908 he has been attorney-general of West Virginia for term ending in 1913; and resides in Charleston, W. Va.
[Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life]


Hoffman or Hachmann Family
     The first member of this family to come to America was the Rev. (John) Henry Hoffman, or Hachmann, the latter being the correct name. He was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, near Severn, on the river Weser, May 28, 1814. His parents were Berend and Gescha Hachmann.
     Settling in Baltimore in the year 1831, his first occupation was in a shoe establishment, where he remained as one of its clerks for several years. Being of a religious temperament and realizing his call to the ministry, he studied theology, and joined the Baltimore Conference of the old Methodist Episcopal Church in 1840, being ordained at Charles Street Church, Baltimore. In 1845 and 1846 he was pastor of the Springfield, West Virginia, church; preaching in 1847 at Sunbury, Pennsylvania; in 1848 at Bloodyrun, Pennsylvania; in 1849 at Frostburg, Maryland; in 1850 at Bald Eagle, Pensylvania; and from 1851 to 1859 at various Virginia churches. In the year 1860 he removed to the Rockingham, Virginia, District, and in 1862 joined the Southern branch of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Coming to Keyser, then New Creek, West Virginia, in 1866, he founded the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at that place, and was compelled to resign from the active ministry in 1868 on account of failing health. He however gave his time and talents to the Conference and to the Keyser Church from that time on until his death, January 12, 1892, at Keyser. He was buried there in Queen's Point Cemetery. His widow, who was Miss Elizabeth Perry Huntley, was born at New London, Connecticut, in 1826, and is still living in Keyser at the age of eighty-seven, at the time of this writing. She is a direct descendant of Lord Huntley on her father's side, and on her mother's side was a descendant of the well-known Kimball family of New England. She is also related to the Huntington family of West Virginia, and to Commodore Perry.
     Dr. Olin Huntley Hoffman, of Thomas, West Virginia, son of Rev. Henry and Elizabeth Perry (Huntley) Hoffman, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, November 6, 1860. He was educated at Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, graduating subsequently at Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He began the practice of his profession at Old Town, Maryland, continuing there until his removal to Petersburg, West Virginia, where he built up a good practice, and served as secretary of the local board of health of Grant County. In the year 1887 he came to Thomas, in Tucker County, and has been physician and surgeon to the Davis Coal and Coke Company since that time. He has also been surgeon to the Western Maryland railroad for more than twenty years. He is a member of the local, state, and American Medical Associations. He is especially distinguished as being the first surgeon to use the up-to-date methods of antiseptic surgery in his section.
     Dr. Hoffman has been prominent not only as a medical man in this region, but as a public-spirited man in every way. He was one of the incorporators of the town of Thomas, and served as its first full term mayor, being active ever since in furthering every good movement in the town. He was the leading spirit in obtaining for it its schools, and also secured the consolidation of Thomas and Coketon as one school district. Though a member of the Democratic party, he is not what could be called a politician. He has been very prominent in temperance work in West Virginia, was a district superintendent of the Anti-saloon League in its great and successful prohibition amendment fight in 1912, and is a member of the Southern Methodist Episcopal Church, having established its Sunday school at Thomas, of which he has been superintendent continuously for more than twenty years. He has been a steward and trustee of the church for the same period. In Masonic circles also, Dr. Hoffman is well known and esteemed, being a charter member of Thomas Lodge No. 123, A. F. and A. M., and he is also a member of Thomas Lodge No. 145, I. O. O. F.
     In 1892, Dr. Hoffman was married to Miss Minnie Clement Harman, who was born in Grant county, West Virginia. She is a daughter of Hon. George Harman, deceased, who was several times a member of the West Virginia legislature, was Republican nominee for congress in 1890, and one of the most prominent figures in the financial and political history of Grant county for a period of thirty years preceding his death in 1899, at the age of seventy years. Dr. and Mrs. Hoffman are the parents of four children, as follows: 1. Olin Henry, born in 1895; a graduate of Thomas high school; he has since graduated, in 1912, in the classical course of the Keyser Branch of the West Virginia Preparatory School, with the class medal for general scholarship, at the age of seventeen years. 2. Susan Harman, born in 1898; at present attending the Thomas High School, and taking the musical course in the Keyser Branch of the State Preparatory School. 3. Minnie Clemence, born in 1901, and attending the city schools. 4. Perry Huntley, born in 1903, also attending the city schools.
     Other members of this Hoffman family of West Virginia are Dr. Charles Summerfield Hoffman, of Keyser, West Virginia, founder and manager of the Hoffman Hospital at that place, and an ex-president of the West Virginia Medical Society. The members of his family are his wife, Mrs. Annie (Walker) Hoffman; his eldest son, Henry Huntley, a farmer and orchardist in Mineral county, and one of the state inspectors of fruit trees, and treasurer of the State Orchardist's Association; two daughters, the eldest, Miss Elizabeth Walker, and the younger, Miss Elsie Reese, the latter being in charge of the musical department of the Keyser Branch of the State Preparatory School; and a young son attending the Keyser city schools.
     The oldest son of Rev. Henry Hoffman was Richard Henry Hoffman, deceased in 1887, and, at the beginning of his fatal illness, the general manager of the Philadelphia branch of the Wanamaker stores. The eldest son of Mr. R. H. Hoffman is Dr. Charles Wilbur Hoffman, a practicing physician and surgeon of Baltimore, Maryland, and lecturer on gynaecology in one of the Baltimore medical colleges. A widow, Mrs. Martha S., and two daughters, Miss Elizabeth Huntley and Miss Edith Mary, residing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and a son, Mr. Edward Richard, of New York, are the survivors of Mr. R. H. Hoffman, deceased.
[
West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell, 1913 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]


Jacob Jones
Jacob Jones, born in 1732 and left fatherless almost from his birth, was adopted by a wealthy planter near Wilmington and lived with his foster parents until he became of age. In his early manhood he married Dinah, or Diana, Stanton, a young lady of the same neighborhood, three years younger than himself. Jacob, always fond of hunting and "a dead shot" early developed those pioneer traits which distinguished his career. Some time after his marriage he moved to Va., nears his step-father, and his mother, resided and about 1770 moved with them into the wilderness across the Alleghany Mountains. Unlike his step-father, he settled on the west side of the Monongahela River on Dunkard creek, near the present town of Pentres, W. Va. This was known then as the Indian side of the river and the place he selected was then on the extreme frontier. They started out in life poor and cast their lot in the wilderness across the mountains from the scenes of their youth; they brought with them nothing, but at the close of their lives they were well-to-do and were loved and respected by all. Their adventures, struggles and hardships if fully described would require volumes. Fights with Indians and hunting expeditions are still being told over and over again, but they left as a legacy to their children something far better than the land which they pre-empted, or tales of adventurepurity of character, strong, vigorous, healthy bodies, piety, honest and frugality. These are the traits which have made their children and their children's children leaders and bulwarks of society in the communities in which they have lived and still live. The assets of those times, however, consisted in adventure and the bare necessities of life. Constant vigilance was the law of life and the rifle was as essential as any article of apparel. Always in danger, they suffered from three well-organized raids of the Indians, 1774, 1777 and 1778. In the outbreak of 1774 the settlers were warned by scouts of the approach of the Indians and most of the people were sent to for at Morgantown, about seventeen miles away. Jacob Jones's wife was not in condition to travel. The children were sent to the fort and the father and mother resolved to stay in their cabin and, if necessary, die together. A scout by the name of Morgan who was watching the approach of the Indians, again warned them that the Indians were almost upon them and practically forced Jacob and his wife to set out for the fort. After proceeding for about five miles Dinah gave birth to William Jones. Morgan carried the new-born babe and the rifles, and Jacob, his wife, and the march to the fort was resumed. The rest of the journey through an untrod and unbroken forest and through creeks and rivers, may be left to the imagination. During the year 1775 or 1776 a fort was built only a short distance from their home on the old Stattler farm, now owned by L.R. Shriver, and during the outbreak of 1777 the families resided at the fort and the men and children, who were old enough, went out in armed squads to cultivate their crops. On the evening of July 13, 1777, a party consisting of Jacob Farmer and his daughter, Susie, Jacob Jones, and his oldest children, Mary, aged twelve, and John aged eleven, Alexander Clegg, Nathan Worley and John marsh went to the home of Jacob Farmer, expecting to hoe corn on the morrow. The house was surrounded by a band of twenty Indians and an attack was made about daylight on the morning of the 14the. Nathan Worley and Jacob Farmer were killed and Susie Farmer and Mary and John Jones captured. Jacob Jones escaped by rushing out past the Indians, running first over the bank of the stream and then along the waters' edge under the protection of the bank. Three Indians followed him and finally forced him to leave the stream. He then ran up the hill along the fence of the clearing. The Indians at first hoped to catch him alive but finding that they could not do this without endangering their own lives, they each fired at him. One shot passed through his ear, another hit his belt and a third passed between his legs. His escape was almost miraculous as he later stated that as he left the house no less than fifteen Indians shot at him. On the hill Jacob met marsh who had gone out before the attack to hunt game for breakfast. Together they saw the captured children being dragged by the Indians up the hill on the opposite side of the creek. Jacob started to follow but was restrained with difficulty by Marsh, knowing that if Jacob had shot an Indian the children would have been killed before their eyes. In the meantime Glegg had also escaped by running into the stream and had carried the news to the fort where he was soon joined by the other survivors. The militia attempted to follow the Indians, but nothing came of the pursuit. The children were taken westward across the Ohio. Susie Farmer was unable to keep up with the warriors and was tomahawked and scalped, the other children being witnesses of the bloody scene. On the way John devised a plan to escape, but was dissuaded by Mary who told him that they could not find their way back and even if they could they could not cross the big river. John and Mary were adopted into different family of the Wyandotte's and lived near Sandusky, Ohio. After arriving at Sandusky the children were made to run the "gauntlet" which they did successfully to the gratifications of their captors. On the whole the children were treated as kindly as the Indians' method of living would admit and their hardships were probably no greater than those which the Indians had to undergo themselves. Mary was especially obedient and, consequently was held in high esteem, but John never became reconciled and was always planning to escape. Finding at last, after 5 years of persuasion, that he could not induce Mary to join him, John's desire to get away became so great the he left his sister, ran away and finally reached Detroit. Here he entered the family of a Doctor Harvey where he was treated as a son given as good schooling as the times afforded, and as much knowledge of medicine as the Doctor could give. John started for England to complete his medical course and got as far as Montreal when a desire to see his people if any were yet living, caused him to return and go to Pittsburg instead. Jacob Jones, learning of this fact went after him and took him home. In all John was away eleven years, five at Sandusky and six at Detroit. Mary remained with the Indians for ten years during which the members of the family which adopted her, all died. She made her way to Detroit and was taken into the family of General McCoombs. Three years later she married Peter Malott and settled first on Grosse Isle and then at Kingsville, Ontario. The marriage was a most happy one and their many descendants are among the most prosperous and respected citizens of that community. Peter Malott died in 1815 and Mary or `Aunt Polly' as she was familiarly known still longing to see her people, set out in 1817 to visit Virginia. She crossed the lake to Cleveland and went the rest of the way on foot. A remarkable family reunion thus occurred after a separation of forty years. On her return two of her brothers accompanied her as far as Cleveland, all on horseback. It is now the custom of the Jones family to hold its reunion every third year with the Malotts at Kingsville, Ontario. Returning to the further experiences of Jacob Jones, Sr., after the capture of his children, he moved his family to a safer position on Cheat River, but he, himself served in the militia on the frontier until the close of the Revolutionary war, when the militiamen were replaced by regulars. For some time afterward he lived on Cheat Bottom, now Tucker County, W. Va., where he had a grant of land. In 1794, he obtained a grant of land near Knottsville, W. Va., where he spent the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort. Both Jacob and his wife died in the summer of 1828 aged, respectively, 96 and 93 years. In 1904, the family reunion was held near the spot where this remarkable couple was buried and monument erected over their graves was dedicated to their memory.
The children of Jacob and Dinah Jones, in the order of their birth were: Mary (Malott), John, Benjamin, Samuel, William, Jacob Jr., Rebecca (Powers), and Martha (Powers).
Mary married Peter Malott and had the following children: Joseph, Mary, Anne, and Peter and two who died in infancy. She was born in Delaware or in Loudon County, Va., in 1764 and died in Kingsville, Ontario, Oct. 16, 1845.
John Jones was born in Delaware or Loudon County in 1766 and died in 1850.
[Contributed by Carla Mascara - Ross Co OH]


Hon. Wayne K. Pritt
     The subject of this sketch was born in Randolph County, West Virginia, January 23, 1872, and is the son of George W. and Lucinda Pritt of said county. His education was obtained in the common schools of his native county and in the Law Department of the West Virginia University at Morgantown, Monongalia County. After graduation, he was admitted to the Bar of Tucker County at Parsons, September 19, 1911, where he has since practiced. He has been admitted as an attorney in the United States District Court in West Virginia and the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State. Before entering upon the practice he was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court of Tucker County in 1896 and served acceptably the full term of six years, and was re-elected in 1902 for a second term. This experience has been most valuable to him as an attorney, because he became thoroughly familiar with the rules of practice, the forms of pleadings, drawing orders and decrees, etc., etc. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Tucker County in 1912 and served four years. He proved a strong prosecutor, and enforced the law with vigor and fairness, and to the entire satisfaction of the people. From the first he showed remarkable tact in the trial of causes; is a strong advocate, and has the confidence of Judge and juries; prepares his cases with care and thoroughness; has confidence in the correctness of the positions he takes, and asserts himself with fervor and earnestness, but always with proper respect towards his opponents. He is upright and just, courteous and considerate in all of his dealings, and commands the respect and confidence of the people who know him.
     He is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church, the Orders of Odd Fellows and Elks, and of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity. He is an enthusiastic Republican, and takes a live interest in politics, but devotes practically all of his time and energy to the practice of his profession.
     He has never married.
[Bench and bar of West Virginia edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Scott Family
     The name Scott is originally a Scotch name. Originally it meant "the Scotchman," as in the case of the famous Duns Scotus. Long before regular surnames were in use, Scotchmen going into England received this appellation, and it is thought that afterward, on returning into Scotland, they sometimes retained it. The name is found in Scotland in the time of Charlemagne, perhaps long before. In the Norman period, this name was taken by some persons having Scotch blood. From the eleventh century, it is a common surname. Many early immigrants to America bore this name, among others progenitors of New England, Pennsylvania, and Virginia families. The name is much more common to-day in the south than in the north; of the western and northwestern Scotts, many are of southern descent.
     (I) Sandy M. Scott, the first member of this family about whom we have definite information, was a builder. He married Rachel Davis. Child: J. P., of whom further.
     (II) J. P., son of Sandy M. and Rachel (Davis) Scott, was born in Taylor county, West Virginia, April 21, 1857. He attended the public schools, and for two years the State Normal School at Fairmont, from which he graduated in 1879. He entered the office of Judge Lucas, at Charles Town, Jefferson county, West Virginia, and in 1886 was admitted to the bar at Grafton, Taylor county, West Virginia, where he practiced for one year. Thereupon he removed to St. George, Tucker county, from thence going, when the county seat was changed, to Parsons, where he has enjoyed a good law practice. He is a member (has been president and is now on the executive committee) of the Tucker County Bar Association, and is a member of the State Bar Association. Both in the civil and in the criminal courts, he has been connected with many of the noteworthy cases of the last twenty years. In various cases he has served as special judge, and he is now master in chancery. He is counsel for the Kendall Lumber Company and other corporations. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank at Parsons, was elected its vice-president, and is now a director and its counsel. In politics Mr. Scott is an active Democrat. He has been delegate to various conventions, and is now congressional committeeman of the second district. For several years he was chairman of the executive committee of Tucker county. He is now serving his fourth term as mayor of Parsons. He is a director of the Ozark Lime and Cement Company. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He married June, daughter of J. M. Adams, of Taylor county. Children: Lalah, a student at West Virginia Wesleyan College; Ethel, graduating from the Parsons high school, 1913.
[Source: West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell- Transcribed by Therman Kellar]


Smith Family
    
For a great number of its professional men, especially for a large proportion of its legal talent, Tucker county stands indebted to the older states adjoining West Virginia; many of whose natives, recognizing the advantages of the newer country and the wider fields offered for enterprise and intellectual endeavor, have made their homes in this promising region. To Maryland, especially, West Virginia is thus indebted, and in the present prosecuting attorney of Tucker county, Charles D. Smith, we have a distinguished example of the case. Mr. Smith was born in Montgomery county, Maryland, June 20, 1870, the son of Joseph R. and Margaret (Gardner) Smith. His father was one of the most prominent citizens of the county, being by trade a carpenter and builder, and residing there for many years. He was also postmaster for over twenty-five years of Hyattstown, Maryland, a flourishing little town on the border line between Montgomery and Frederick counties, located on Burnett's Creek, eight miles from Boyd's, with a growing population and progressive public schools for both its white and colored citizens.
     After having acquired his primary education in the public schools of his native state, Charles D. Smith attended the Maryland State Normal School at Baltimore for three years; taking a subsequent two years' course in the law department of George Washington University, at Washington, D. C. In 1899 he received the degree of LL.B. from Columbian University Law School, and the following year was admitted to the bar of Preston county. West Virginia, and the federal courts at Philippi, in Barbour county. He opened an office for the practice of his profession at Terra Alta. Preston county, and became very successful, remaining there until he was appointed assistant prosecutor of Tucker county, by Prosecuting Attorney Conley. He held this position for two years, and with so great a degree of satisfaction to the county that at the end of this time he was elected prosecuting attorney, on the Republican ticket. He has now held this office for a second term, having proved himself a strong and able criminal lawyer, and established a brilliant record in the county.
     The most notable cases tried during his incumbency have been those of the State versus Clark, the State versus Merrill, and the State versus Pishner; a number of other hardly less prominent cases having been successfully handled by him. He has been a very active member of the Republican party and influential in public affairs of both county and state. He is a leading member of the Tucker County and State Bar Associations; in Masonic circles he has acquired distinction, and is also a member of the Odd Fellows. Beside his various public and social interests, he is greatly interested in farming, of which pursuit he makes a hobby and his chief recreation.
     Mr. Smith's wife was Miss Edith Townsend, of Oakland, Maryland. She is a very active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, taking a leading role in the various church enterprises, and being interested and influential in all affairs pertaining to women. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have three children: Elizabeth Hamilton, Edith Dorsey and Ava Townsend.
[Source: West Virginia and Its People, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]


Valentine Family
    
The word Valentine means powerful or robust, being derived from a common Latin word. The name was
used by the ancient Romans. St. Valentine was a martyr in A. D. 270, and one Pope has borne this name. In more recent times, the most famous personage of this name was the monk and chemist, Basil Valentin, in the sixteenth century. The name is found in France, Spain, Germany, Holland, and elsewhere in southern and central Europe, as a surname. It is also frequent as a Christian name. In the United States, the name is not common, yet is widely diffused, found in nearly if not quite every state. There are three principal families, associated especially with New England, Long Island, and New York. They are not of common origin, unless a single ancestor may have existed in the middle ages. Virginia has had a sculptor named Valentine.
    
(I) Andrew Valentine, the first member of this family about whom we have definite information, was born in Barbour county, West Virginia. He and his wife are both deceased. He was a farmer, and in the civil war he served in the Confederate army under General Imboden, as a lieutenant. He was a prominent Democrat. His wife was Rachel Digman, also a native of Barbour county. Child: A. Jay, of whom further.
    
(II) A. Jay, son of Andrew and Rachel (Digman) Valentine, was born in Barbour county, March 8, 1866. He attended the public schools, after which he taught school for several years and then read law in the office of Captain A. C. Bowman, at Valley Furnace, Barbour county, West Virginia. His legal studies were completed under the instruction of W. B. Maxwell, then of St. George. Tucker county, West Virginia (now of Elkins, Randolph county). In 1887 he was admitted to the bar, and opened an office at St. George, then the county seat of Tucker county. When the county seat was removed to Parsons, Mr. Valentine came thither, and has there enjoyed a lucrative practice. He is local counsel for the Western Maryland Railway Company, general counsel for the Dry Fork Railway Company, local counsel for the Parsons Pulp and Lumber Company, the J. K. Mosser Tanning Company, the Otter Creek Boom and Lumber Company, the Davis Coal and Coke Company, and does other corporation work. He is vice-president and counsel of the Tucker County Bank. Mr. Valentine is a member of the State Bar Association, and has been president of the Tucker County Bar Association. His fraternal order is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he has been through its chairs. In politics he is a Republican, but not active; he has been frequently mentioned for a judgeship.
    
The Parsons Pulp and Lumber Company, of which he is counsel, is one of the flourishing industrial institutions of Parsons. It was first organized in 1900, by R. F. Whitmer of Philadelphia and others, as The Parsons Pulp and Paper Company. In 1909 it was rcchartcred under the present name, with R. F. Whitmer, president; D. G. Wilson, secretary and treasurer, and W. T. Robinson, superintendent and general manager. The capital is three million dollars. The pulp output is fifteen hundred tons per month; silk board and tag paper are manufactured, three thousand tons per month. The lumber mills are at Laneville, Horton. and Dobbin, West Virginia. The pulp mill, paper mill and power plant, of twenty-eight hundred horse-power, foundry, etc., are at Parsons, and occupy one hundred thousand square feet of space, besides which there are several acres of yards. At Parsons, one hundred and fifty men are employed. The Tucker County Bank, of which Mr. Valentine is now vice-president, was organized in 1900, and opened the fourth of June, in that year, with the following officers: M. C. Feather, president; O. Jay Fleming, cashier; Riley Harper, vicepresident. Mr. Feather was succeeded by F. S. Landstreet, and he by Riley Harper, who is now president. A. DeW. Strickler succeeded Mr. Fleming as cashier, August 1, 1901, and still continues in that office. The capital is twenty-five thousand dollars; surplus and undivided profits amount to twenty-seven thousand five hundred dollars, and the resources to over two hundred thousand dollars.
    
Mr. Valentine married Lummie, daughter of Samuel I. Kalar, of Tucker county. Mrs. Valentine is devoted to her family and home. Children: Zillah, a student at Broadus College; Arthur, attending the high school at Parsons; Mark Twain; Paul.
[
West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 by Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

Biographies listed in the History of Tucker County, West Virginia: from the Earliest Explorations and Settlements to the Present Time -- 1884 -- By Hu Maxwell



 

 

 

Copyright Genealogy Trails