By Hu Maxwell
[Transcribed by K. Torp]
Daniel C. Adams, son of Thomas Adams, of Irish and English descent, was born 1814. He was born and raised and died on the same farm, which is on Limestone, ten miles from St. George. In 1835 he married Ruth, daughter of Abel Kelly, of Randolph. She died in 1863. While she was lying very low, and expected to die every hour, Eli Adams arrived from Camp Chase, and brought with him the spotted fever. His sister took it and died in a few hours. John J. and George W. Adams were at the bedside of their mother at the time, expecting her to die any hour. John Adams' wife and two children took the fever and died. Two of his sisters and one of his brothers also died. George Adams and his wife took the fever, but recovered. Daniel C. Adams was assessor 8 years. A premium of $25 had been offered by the State to the assessor who would send in the neatest and best kept books. The money was to be deducted from the salary of the one who sent in the worst books. Adams got the premium and the Randolph assessor had to pay it. Adams was married a second time, in 1863, to Mary A., daughter of Philip Martin, of Preston County. She died in 1866, and in 1867 he married Dorcas A. Bonnifield, daughter of Dr. A. Bonnifield. Children: George W., John J., Thomas C., Samuel M., Margaret, Jemima and Maxwell. Adams was an influential member of the M. E. Church. He died in 1880.
George W. Adams, son of Daniel C. Adams, and father of N. D. Adams, was born in 1836, and is of English, Irish and German descent. He was married July 4, 1858, to Susan, daughter of Philip Martin, of Preston. In 1874 his wife died, and in 1875 he married, Lettie, daughter of David Swisher, of Hampshire County, and sister of S. N. Swisher, of Tucker County. He farms 150 acres of improved land, and has 250 acres of wild land, near Limestone, 4 miles from St. George. He has frequently been road surveyor and member of the board of education. His children are, Nelson D., Samuel M., Melvina J., Philip B., Stella F., and Ernest.
John J. Adams, son of Daniel C. Adams, of English and Irish descent, was born May 30, 1837, at Limestone. In 1858 he married Elegan, daughter of James J. Goff, of Preston County. His wife died in 1863, of spotted fever. From the 1st to the 19th of April, he saw laid in the grave his wife, two children, one sister, his mother, two of his wife's sisters and one brother, all having died of the same disease, except his mother. At sunset they would be as well as ever, and before midnight were no more. In his early life, J. J. Adams was a farmer. During the war he was a McClellan Democrat. He kept store in St. George, and was elected Recorder (County Clerk), and held the office two years; and at the end of that time was reelected and was also elected clerk of the Circuit Court; both of which offices he has held up to the present time. He came to St. George in 1864. September 11,1865, he married Angelica, daughter of William Ewin. Children: Savillia, Carrie, Addie, Anna Tilden, Angelica Ewin and Dove.
Peter K. Adams, son of William Adams, was born in 1862, and married, in 1884, to Sarah, daughter of Jackson Roy. By occupation he is a farmer, and lives 10 miles from St. George, on the head of Mill Run.
Samuel M. Adams, born in 1848, is a son of Daniel C. Adams, and was married, in 1868, to Ann Amelia, daughter of Daniel Wotring, of Preston. Children: Savillia, John, Dora, Elihu, Etta and baby. Farmer by occupation, and lives at Limestone, 8 miles from St. George. He owns 130 acres of land, with 20 acres improved.
Samuel Mcclellan Adams, born 1862, son of G. W. and brother of N. D. Adams, lives four miles from St. George. He attended the district schools, and in 1883 attended in Kingwood. He has taught the following schools: White's, in Licking district, Sugar Lands, St. George district, Fairview, same, Macadonia, Licking district and No. 15, Union district, Preston County.
Thomas C. Adams, son of Daniel C. Adams, was born in 1842, and married in 18G3 to Harriet E., daughter of A. H. Bowman, of Rowlesburg. He is a farmer, owning 400 acres, with 140 improved. He lives on the Rowlesburg road 8 miles from St. George. Lieutenant McChesney was killed within a few rods of his house, and on his farm, and the election of June 29, 1861, was held at his house. He was not in the army. His children are, Charles U., Hannah S., Sida M., Adam D., Nora B., Edna E., and Cranmer Adams.
William M. Adams, born in 1833, is a son of George R. Adams, of Irish descent, and was married, in 1854, to Mary M. Wotring. He owns 787 acres of land, with 235 acres improved. He lives 10 miles from St. George, on the head of Mill Run. Children: Peter K., Hannah, William F., Luther L., Sarah J., Daniel J., and Lewis H.
J. W. Allender, born in 1838, in Hampshire County, is a son of George Allender, now of Randolph County. He is of German and English descent. In 1874 he married Rebecca Ann, daughter of John R. Goff. Children: Ida Catharine, Paden Wade and Mary Eunice. He lives on Shafer's Fork, 14 miles from St. George where he owns a farm of 96 acres, of which 45 acres is under tillage. He has been a resident of Tucker since 1864.
Thomas B. Ashby, was born in Preston County, in 1846, son of TV. F. Ashby, of Irish, French and German descent. Married in 1880 to Martha E., daughter of Levi Lipscomb. He is a farmer, owning 220 acres, with 60 acres improved. He has been in the county since 1870, and lives two miles below St. George. Children: Agnes Ann, Warner E., and Stella Hester.
M. C. Atherton was born 1824 in New York, married in 1859 to Elizabeth Holden. Children : Byron G., Grant S. and Laura S. He lives 7 miles from St. George, in Licking District. He is a farmer.
W. H. Ault, born in Randolph County, in 1864, the son of William Ault, is a farmer and school teacher. He has taught in Canaan and at Sapling Ridge, on a No. 2 certificate. He lives twenty-five miles from St. George, and has been in Tucker since 1866.
George L. Ashby, of Irish, French and German descent, born in 1856 in Preston, is the son of W. F. Ashby: married in 1880 to Charlotte J., daughter of Hilory Griffith. He lives in St. George. Children : Harry Kirk and Maud S. G.
Charles W. Ashby, brother to T. B., and G. L. Ashby, was born in Preston, in 1852, and came to Tucker in 1870. In 1881 he married Virginia C., daughter of D. K. Dumire. His child's name is Rozella. He lives 2 miles below St. George, and has 120 acres of land, with 35 acres improved. He has been carrying the U. S. mail several years, principally on the route from St. George to Philippi.
William F. Ashby, of English and Welsh descent, was born 1821, in Preston County. He is a son of Thomas Ashby, and great grandson of a Revolutionary soldier, who came to America to fight the Colonies, but deserted to them and fought the British. After the war was over, he settled near Baltimore, and soon after, moved to the Youghiogheny River, where he fought Indians and wild animals until the country became settled about him. His son Nathan, grandfather of William F., was a Colonel in the war of 1812. The Ashby who figured so prominently as a dashing leader during the civil war, belonged to this family.
William F. Ashby was married in 1843 to Mary C. Wilhelm, of German descent. Children : Mary E., Thomas B., Winfield S., Stephen L., Charles W., Susana E., Samuel L. and George. He lives two miles below St. George.
T. M. Austin, M. D., born April 26, 1852, in Monongalia County, near Laurel Iron Works. His mother was of Irish descent, and his father of English. In his younger days, at home, he showed an inclination for books, and devoted his spare moments to study. Gradually, he fell into the channel of medicine and commenced acquainting himself with the general principles of the science. He attended the schools of his neighborhood, and made progress that was more gratifying to other people than to himself; for, he thought himself getting along slow, because he was not studying what he most wanted to study. When he was old enough—after he was twenty-one years of age—he entered the Physio-Medical College of Cincinnati, and in 1877 he graduated. He practiced two years, and also studied under Dr. J. B. Scott, of New Salem, Pa. Since then he has practiced nine years in St. George. In 1883 he retired from the profession in order to get a year or two of rest. His practice was harder than he could endure, and his physical powers required recreation. In 1878 he was married to Mollie S. Auvil, daughter of John Auvil. Strandie is his child's name.
George B. Auvil, son of John Auvil, of English and German descent, was born in 1851, and was married, in 1875, to Malissa, daughter of Margaret White. He is a farmer living 2 miles from St. George, on Mill Run. His farm of 150 acres is one-fifth improved. Children: Harvey W., Margaret C., Charles T., Carrie V., and Thomas J.
L. S. Auvil, son of John Auvil, was born, in 1853, on Pifer Mountain, and lived there eleven years. In 1876 he married Anna, daughter of Jacob Dumire, of Limestone. His wife died in 1877, and in 1879 he married Minnie Compton, of Barbour County. His children's names are, Burton W. and Boyd M. He attended only country schools. The teachers to whom he went were Margaret See, Rachel Kalar, William Hull, Dr. Sawyer, Clark Bowman and Josephine Trippett. He has taught eight terms of school, and been county superintendent of schools three terms. He has been a member of the board of examiners several times. When the Tucker Democrat was called into existence, he took stock in it. He commenced the study of law in 1881 and was admitted to the bar in 1883. He resides in St. George.
William C. Auvil, son of John Auvil, was born in 1848: married, in 1870, to Louetta E., daughter of John White. Children: Emma Catharine, George W., Anna Margaret, Frances Melvina, and Pearl W. He is a farmer, but has worked some at the stone mason trade. He lives 4 miles from St. George, on Mill Run, and his farm of 75 acres has 30 acres improved. He is a teacher of vocal music, and has had some successful schools.
Dr. B. Baker
Bascom Baker, M. D., was born in Marion County, 1852. In his younger days he attended the country schools in his neighborhood, and made some progress. When he became a young man, he concluded to go west, which he did. His fortune there was, as nearly every young man's is, not as good as was hoped. However, he succeeded reasonably well. He got to Iowa, and there spent some time, meanwhile attending the Normal Institute at Indianola, that State. He soon became satisfied that the West was not the best place for him, and accordingly, he returned home and taught school for some time, and commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Trayhern. When he had become acquainted with the rudiments of the science, he entered the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons, and graduated in March, 1882, when he returned to his practice at St. George and the surrounding country. His practice is extensive and he possesses the confidence of his customers. He was married, in 1883, to Isabel Parsons, of Holly Meadows. As a scholar, he stands high in the profession of West Virginia. His readings have been extensive, and he has ready words to tell what he knows. He takes Huxley and Darwin as authority in their departments; and he has become well acquainted with the works of Tyndall, Stahr, Koch and others.
John W. Baker was born in Marion County, of English descent.; married in 1866 to Sarah A. E., daughter of Robert Johnson. Children : Robert J., Alice S., and Fannie B.: his farm of 80 acres is on Dry Fork, 12 miles from St. George.
J. B. Barr, of Monongalia, was bom 1846, of German parentage, married 1867 Mary, daughter of Leonard Metz. In 1872 his wife died and he married Susan Raber. Children : Brice L., Mary E., Charles L. and Jennie. He has been in Tucker since 1881, and lives two miles below St, George, near the spot where Jonathan Minear was killed by the Indians.
Jacob W. Baughman was born in 1853, in Hardy County; married, in 1876, at Harper's Ferry, to Analiza F. Stalnaker, of Barbour County; is of German descent; children: Mary E., Marvin, Claudius T. and Ernest. He is in the hardware business at St. George.
Jesse L. Baughman was born 1860 in Hardy County, and worked on a farm until he was thirteen years old, and then clerked in a store. Again he engaged in farming, this time at Meadowville, Barbour County. In 1883 he came to St. George and is a partner with J. Roth & Co. in a dry goods establishment at Central Exchange.
O. C. Beckner, born 1837 in Virginia, of Irish descent, was married 1870 to Margaret E., daughter of John B. Goff of Black Fork. Children: Kile P., John H., Elnora and Dexter Lloyd: lives 4 miles from St. George, on Wolf Run, where he owns a farm of 66 acres, with 25 acres improved; has been in Tucker since 1868 ; was in the Confederate army, commissary department, under N. H. Bell.
D. J. Bever was born 1829, in Maryland, of German descent. Married 1852 to Esther A. Turner. Children: Naomi, Zula, Sarah A., Clarissa, Ida, William S., Isabel and Edna Alice D. He is a foreman on the West Virginia and Pittsburgh Railway. He was in the Union Army during the war, and took part in many of the hottest battles. At Fair Oaks he went into the fight with 700 men and came out with less than one-tenth of that number. He was in the battle of the Wilderness, and at Appamattox Court-house.
Alpheus Biler, born 1848, was married 1876 to Mrs. E. Clark, daughter of Isaac Phillips. He is a farmer, lives 9 miles from St. George, has 51 acres of land, 5 acres improved, and his children are, John E., Charles W., James C. and Walter.
Egbert Biler owns 50 acres of land, but does not work it: on Clover, 9 miles from St. George.
Eli Biler, a German, was born in 1822, and was married 1845 to Lyda Susing. He is a farmer of 100 acres, with 40 acres improved, 9 miles from St. George, on Clover Kun. Children : Alpheus, Ephriam, Robert and Jefferson.
Ephriam Biler was born 1853, married Angeline Limbers and lives on Clover Eun ,where he owns 2 acres of cleared land and has 8 acres still sleeping in the shades of primeval forests, 9 miles from the County-seat: children : Mary A., Rosa E., Baily N. C. and Johnson M.
Jefferson Biler, born 1863, has no land or trade; he lives on Clover. They are all Eli's boys.
George F. Bishoff was born at Cranberry Summit, Preston County, of German descent; married, in 1879, to Anna E., daughter of John Auvil. Children: Monnie and Aloin C. By trade he is a blacksmith, and came to St. George in 1878.
Alpheus Blanchard, was born in Maine in 1847. Lives 5 miles from St. George, on a farm of 8 acres, ½ acre improved.
Frank J. Blanchard was born in Maine, in 1835, of American descent: was raised a farmer, but he soon manifested a strong inclination for machinery, and he turned his attention to that channel, and soon became a first-class mechanic. "When the war broke out, he was drafted, and was given ten days in which to appear. When the ten days were out, he appeared in Canada. He traveled to a considerable extent, and was in eleven states within 24 hours ; was in the West as far as Iowa, Minnesota and Missouri: was married in 1860 to Elizabeth Harrold, of Ireland. His wife died and in 1876 he married Emma, daughter of Stephen Dumire. Children: John, James, Mary, Edward and William. He is a farmer, living five miles from St. George on Horse Shoe Run, where he owns 100 acres of land, of which 18 is improved. By him was manufactured the first sawed shingle ever made in Tucker County, and probably in the State. Since then he has sawed over 3,000,000 shingles in Tucker County; and has in his life sawed 4,000,000 feet of long lumber, of which 3,000,000 feet was cut on Macomber's mill.
John Blanchard, son of Frank J. Blanchard, was born in 1863, and deserves a place in history more as a curiosity than anything else. He always was a venturesome boy. In his early life he lived in Maine. When he was a little older, he lived at Middletown, Conn., where he became the best swimmer in all the region. When a flood came down the Connecticut River, he swam out into the middle of the stream and attempted to take a ride on a floating hay stack. But it sank with his weight, and his feet sticking fast in the hay, he was pulled under the water. This came near ending his adventures forever; but he wriggled loose, and got to the shore. When he was ten or eleven years old, he came to Rowlesburg, and soon afterwards to Horse Shoe Run, where he became the leader of the boys in all manner of deviltry. When he was fourteen, he ran off from home, and went to work for S. N. Swisher, at $3 a month. He remained at this and in the neighborhood until he was seventeen, when he made up his mind to go back to Maine and search out the home of his ancestors. He collected all the money left of his three years' wages, and had $22.00. A ticket from Oakland to the point in Maine to which he was going cost over $20, and with this small margin, he struck out, with a carpet-sack on his back, a pair of overalls on, held on by one suspender, and a hat that had years before gone to seed. In New York he paid $1.00 for a lunch, and had no money left. However, he got to Maine, and chopped cord wood all winter, and in the spring of 1881 returned to West Virginia by the way of Boston, Fall River and Long Island. He again set to work to earn more money, for his was all gone. He worked here and there, every once in a while taking a wild goose chase through the southern or eastern part of the State, and as soon as he got money enough he went to Michigan, staid there a few days, returned to Tucker, and in two or three weeks went back to Michigan,. and in a short time returned to Tucker, and as soon as he had earned enough money, he went back to Michigan. He staid there until in the fall of 1883, when he went to California; staid fifty-nine days, and started back. He got caught in the floods with which the country was deluged, and the cars ran off the track five times before he got through to Arizona. He passed through Texas, Indian Territory, back to Michigan, and has never since been heard of.
Mathias Bohon, son of William Bohon, was born 1834, married, 1860, Delia A. Dumire, and after her death he married Sarah J., daughter of Daniel Gower. Children : Sarah Jane, Susana C., Dona C., Daniel C. and Zora Wade. By occupation he is a farmer, mechanic and mill-wright; he lives 3 miles from St. George, on Location Ridge ; he has a farm of 172 acres, with one-third improved. For seven or eight years he was a member of the board of education, and also has held the office of constable: was in the Union army, operated along the Potomac, and was taken prisoner at Keyser by General Rosser, and remained a captive only a few days, when he was exchanged.
Peter Bohon was born in 1839, in Preston County; is a son of William Bohon, of German descent, and was married, in 1868, to Emily E., daughter of Van Goff. By occupation he is a farmer, and lives 7 miles below St. George. He was in the Union army three years, and lost the use of his hand in the service. He was one of the three citizens who carried McChesney's body from Hannahsville the night after he was killed. Bohon was at St. George at the time of Hall's surrender, and in parol was sent to Camp Chase. His children are Charles B., Florence B., James, Lonzo T., Harry, Hayes, John D., Rosy, and Georgia D.
James H. Bolyard, of German parentage, was born 1846 in Preston, was married 1868 to Harriet, daughter of Dr. John Miller, of Limestone. Children : Ida Rebecca, Anna Margaret, Mary Allen, Verlinda Susan and John M.: is a farmer of 250 acres, one-fifth improved. In the Union army he had a diversified experience: he was one of those Yankees whom Ben Wotring and Louis Shaffer captured in Cumberland and carried off as prisoners of war. It was a most wonderful feat on their part. Bolyard was also captured at Keyser by General Imboden ; lay 3 months in jail and was then parolled and after two months was exchanged. He was in prison in Richmond in 1864. After that he was sent to Nebraska to guard the mail route against the Indians, and had several fights ; was in Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas and several other western States. In June, 1866, he was discharged.
Henry Boner, bom in 1857, is a son of W. J. Boner, of Dry Fork, 25 miles from St. George : owns 37 acres of land with 20 acres improved.
Martin V. Boner, born 1863, son of W. J. Boner, of German and Irish descent, lives on Dry Fork, 23 miles from St. George.
Seymour Boner, Solomon B's son, was born in 1846, and was married, in 1867, to Sophia, daughter of Andrew Fansler. His wife dying iu 1868, he married two years later to Mahala, daughter of Samuel H. Cosner. He lives 25 miles from St. George ; he taught school in Randolph with a No. 5 certificate, and in Tucker with a No. 3; he has killed six bears, and is a wonderful bee hunter; he follows them to their trees by taking the course of their flight and pursuing it. His children are, Stephen A., Oliver H., Sophia B., Hattie E., Mary, Antony W. and baby.
Samuel Boner, brother of Henry Boner, of Dry Fork, was born in 1851, married, 1883, to Rebecca R., daughter of Perry Rains: child's name is Ida Belle. Owns a farm of 50 acre and one-half is improved: lives 20 miles from St. George.
Solomon Boner, was born in Grant County, July 4, 1824, and was a son of William Boner, of German and Irish descent. In 1846 he married Jane, daughter of Thomas Bright, of Randolph County. His wife died in 1878, and the next year he married Surah J. Vanmeter. Children: Seymour, Rebecca. Archibald, Mary, James, Martha, Ann Jemima, Virginia M., Sulpitius G., and Solomon P. He is a farmer and civil engineer, living on Dry Fork, 30 miles from St. George, where he owns 500 acres of land, one-fifth improved. He was county surveyor 18 years, and was the principal man in locating all the roads above Black Fork. The main Dry Fork road was commenced in 1863 and has just been completed. The first settlers on Dry Fork were William Boner, (Grandfather of Salomon Boner), Rudolph Shobe, Daniel Poffinbarger, John Carr, Thomas White, Ebenezer Flanagan (Great-grandfather of Jacob O. Flanagan), John Wolford (Grandfather of Deputy Sheriff Wolford.) Henry Fansler was the first man to move his family into Canaan. He made a small improvement, and left. This was about the commencement of the present century; but the exact date cannot be determined. Some think it to have been as long ago as 1780. There is current a story that the first settler of Dry Fork went there during the Revolutionary War, to escape service in the army. But this is not sufficiently well authenticated to be accepted as history. However, it is certain that Dry Fork was settled at a very early day. Solomon Boner assisted in running the line between Tucker and Randolph. He has been a great huntrr, and has killed, as he estimates, 50 bears and 500 deer. He killed a bear on Otter Fork that, when dressed, weighed 250 pounds, and Archibald Boner and James Davis caught one in Abel Long's corn field that weighed, neat, 325 pounds.
W. E. Boner, son of William Boner, was born in 1855, of English descent; married in 1878 to Mary, daughter of Marion Hedrick. Children: John and Effie C. A farmer, 25 miles from St. George, on Dry Fork; farm contains 75 acres, 20 acres improved.
Abe Bonnifield, son of Dr. Bonnifield, was born in 1837. He traveled extensively over the west and over British America. When the war came on he joined the Rebel army, and fought to the end of the war, never surrendering, but dodging when the troops to which he belonged were dispersed, and coming home with his sword strapped on his side. His weight is seventy pounds, and his height three feet. He was at Lynchburg when Jubal A. Early defeated Crook and Hunter; he was at McDowell when Jackson routed Milroy; he suffered defeat at New Hope, when Hunter scattered Breckenridge's troops; he was with Imboden in Hampshire, and saw him blow up the armored gondolas which the Federals sent down the railroad; was at the battle of Frederick City, Md., and witnessed the whole transaction; took part in Early's raid on Washington, and fought nearly all the time for three weeks. At Crab Bottom he was taken prisoner, but escaped in less than two hours. *(Abe Bonnineld has in manuscript a biography of himself, partly written by himself and partly by Prof. G.E. Selby.) *The principal events in Abe Bonnfield's biography having been given elsewhere in this book, only a brief mention la here made.
Allen H. Bonnifield,* son of Dr. Bonnifield, was born 1845. Before he was of age, he left home and started overland for California. When he reached Iowa he learned that the Indians were hostile, and that it would be unsafe to venture out. Then he turned back to New York, took a steamer and reached San Francisco by the way of Panama. He remained four years on the Pacific Coast, and then returned home. Since then he has been a farmer on the old homestead of 700 acres—including wild lands—four miles from St. George, on Horse Shoe Run. In 1875 he married Jane, daughter of A. B. Parsons. His children are, Edna F., Bertie M., Jennie S., Anna D., and Luke G. * Notice to some length of A. H Bonnifield having been given in a former part of this book, a full biography is not given here.
Dr. Arnold Bonnifield was born in 1799, August 23 ; is a son of Samuel Bonnifield, a soldier of Dunmore's war, and the war of the Revolution. As nearly as can be ascertained, his origin is French, through England. In France, the name was spelled Bonnifant, or Bonnifelt, and has reached its present spelling through the English. Dr. Bonnifield's mother was of purely English descent, belonging to the James family. He was married to Elizabeth, daughter of David, sister to Enoch and granddaughter of John Minear, the founder of St. George. Their children are, Katharine, who married David Swisher, of Hampshire, Samuel, who died of consumption when a young man, Dorcas, who married Daniel O. Adams, of Limestone, Sarah J., who married Rufus Maxwell, Abe, the only one now unmarried, Lettie, the wife of S. H. Smith, sheriff of Grant County, David, who was drowned at Willow Point, in Cheat River, April 30, 1871, Allen H., the traveler, who married Jane, daughter of A. B. Parsons of California, and John, who died young. Dr. Bonnifield has always been a farmer; but, in addition, he has paid some attention to the practice of medicine. He was a slaveholder, but never sympathized with the institution of slavery. He was the first clerk of the Circuit and County courts of Tucker, and was Justice of the Peace for thirty years.
David Bonnifield, a son of Dr. Bonnifield, was drowned in Cheat. He had married Margaret Hessler, of Germany. His children are, Mary, Anna M., Katharine F., John E., Samuel A. and Margaret. They live at Beloit, Kansas. (As Dr. Bonnifield receives notice at length in another part of this book, it is not regarded necessary to give full biography here.)
David B. was a farmer and dealer in cattle. Being a sympathizer with the South in the War, he was much harassed by the opposing side. A large drove of cattle were carried off, which embarrassed him financially. Soon after, he was arrested and taken to Fort Delaware for incarceration. His suffering there was little less than the worst specimens of Andersonville, Libby or Eock Island. When at last he made his escape, his health was wrecked, and his property was gone. From that time until his death, he lived on Horse Shoe Run, four miles from St. George.
John W. Bonnifield, was born in 1845 in Preston county, son of Thornton Bonnifield. Married in 1877 to Sarah A. Baker, daughter of Joseph Baker. He is in the mercantile business at Thomas. His child's name is Earl G.
Charles L. Bowman, son of Samuel W. Bowman, was born at St. George, Aug. 12, 1847; is of English and German descent: lived in St. George until he was a man, and spent his time working some and clerking in his father's store. Finally he arrived at the conclusion that it was decreed that he should go to the West. He went, and had a bitter experience of it; got sick and received the treatment which sick people are apt to get on the frontiers unless they fall into unusual hands. Bowman had a long siege of the fever, and did not know and cared little whether he would get well or not. But finally he recovered, and came trooping back home, more contented to try his fortune in Tucker. He settled down to business, and in 1874 married Miss Susie D. Gray, of Lancaster, Ohio. Children: Jesse Clifton and baby. Four years after marriage, he started the Tucker County Pioneer. Previous to that, he had run a job press to some extent. He remained in the newspaper business nearly six years, when he quit it and turned his attention to merchandizing. He now owns the store formerly owned by his father at St. George.
Samuel W. Bowman, son of Adam Bowmam, born in 1820, three miles below St. George; was a farmer in his earlier years, and worked hard on his father's land. In his twenty-third year he was married to Elizabeth Minear. Children: Virginia C., Lavina S., Charles L., and John C. For four years he was deputy sheriff and was sheriff four years, both of which positions he filled honorably and with ability. For many years he was postmaster at St. George, and was for twelve years a contractor for carrying the U. S. mails, principally from St. George to Rowlesburg and return. He was a merchant for fifteen years, and in the meantime built the Black Water House in St. George, the largest hotel in the county. During the war, Mr. Bowman was a sympathizer with the South, although he saw best not to enter the army. Nevertheless he was considerably annoyed by the Union soldiers at different times, but was never seriously interfered with; has always been a Democrat and an influential man in the politics of the county.
Henson R. Bright was born 1847, in Randolph, son of Thomas Bright, of English descent; married 1871 to Abigail, daughter of Joab Carr. Children ; Christina, John W., Thomas H. and James S.; lives 15 miles from St. George, near Shafer's Fork on a farm of 100 acres, one-fourth improved. He says that Solomon Townsend was the first settler on Pleasant Run.
John Bright, son of Thomas Bright, was born in Randolph County, 1816, of German descent, and was married, in 1838 to Lucinda Gainer. Children : Savina, Manda J., Harriet E., Montiville, J. Catharine, Alice and Margaret; is a farmer, owning 150 acres of land, one-fifth improved, 13 miles above St. George; has been road surveyor, overseer of poor and constable. At 19 years of age he was made lieutenant of militia and held the office seven years. Of many a bear fight he has been the hero, and his adventures as such approach very nearly those of John Losh. The first snow of the season had fallen, and the dogs treed a bear in the thicket on the hillside. The men ran out to see what it was, and passed the tree without seeing the beast. No sooner had they passed than it thought to slip away, and so came sliding down the tree. The dog, that knew better than the men did where the bear was, hid under the brush and when the brute reached the ground ran up and grabbed it. The bear was scared and bawled, but the dog held on, and a terrible fight ensued. The men heard the uproar and ran back. They found that the fight was under an old tree top and that the bear had the dog down. John Bright ran in and pulled the bear out by the hind legs, while Thomas Bright stabbed it. It had bit the dog's nose off, but he got well.
Montiville Bright was born in 1850, in Randolph County, a son of John Bright, and was married, in 1876, to Millia, daughter of Robert Phillips. Children: Alice May, Lilie Belle, and Malissa Ann: lives on Pleasant Run, 13 miles from St. George, and has 50 acres of improved land and 110 acres of wild land. Formerly he was a teamster, and is of German and English descent.
Thomas J. Bright, born 1820 in Randolph, brother of John Bright, of German and English descent, was married in 1824, to Sarah Schoonover; is a farmer and lives on Pleasant Run, 15 miles from St. George; has been in Tucker since 1849. Children : Henson R., Virginia M., and Mary J.
John Brimble, born in 1857, of German descent, lives 12 miles from St. George, on Hog Back.
James Buckbee was born 1832 in Randolph, married Minerva Teter, of Pendleton. Children : Martin K., George W., Cora E. and Samuel C.: farmer, living in Canaan, 25 miles from St. George.
John Burns, son of William Burns, was born on July 4, 1849. His ancestry were German and Irish. In 1868, he married Sarah A., daughter of Frederick Davis. He lives 8 miles from St. George, in Licking district, on a farm of 259 acres, 30 of which is improved. He was constable for 6 years. His children are, James A., Mary V., Charles W., William H., John P., Noah A., and Eliza Agnes.
Dr. A.E. Calvert
George A. Mayer