Sistersville was settled in 1802 by
Charles Wells, who built his cabin on what is now the golf course.
Wells had 22 children; a tenant named Scott has 22; Gordori, a
neighbor, had 28; in 1811 the Navigator solemnly commented: "The banks
of the Ohio seem peculiarly grateful to the propagation of the human
species." Wells named his 20th offspring Twenty and his 21st Plenty.
Evidently despairing of the efficacy of symbolical names, he named the
22nd Betsey. Known as Wells Landing for a number of years and then for
a short time as Ziggleton, the settlement was incorporated in 1839 as
Sistersville, in honor of Well's 18th and 19th children, Sarah and
Delilah, upon whose property the town was platted. Wells Street
perpetuates the name of this prolific family; Chelsea Street was once
known as Brown Betty Street for their favorite mare.
Source: Federal Writers' Project - 1941, Transcribed by C. Anthony
thriving post-village of Tyler county, Virginia [now West Virginia]
is pleasantly situated on the Ohio river, about 35 miles
below Wheeling and 9 miles W. from Middlebourn, the county seat. It has
a good landing for steamboats, and it is the terminus of several
turnpike-roads extending toward the interior. These advantages,
together with the navigation of the Ohio, render this a place of active
trade which is rapidly increasing. Coal and iron ore are found in the
vicinity. Population in 1853, 1,000. Source: Statistical Gazeteer
of the State of Virginia, 1854, Edited by Richard Edwards -
Transcribed by C. Anthony