Wood County West Virginia

Biographies



BARRETT, REV. W. C.
1810-1893
Religious Activity in Missouri  1856-1893 - J. C. M.
W. C. Barrett was born in Wood County , Virginia , July 8th, 1810.  The family were known and highly respected for their good and sturdy morality and for their patriotism.  The grandfather was a soldier during the war that secured the Independence of the United States .
The good man of whom I am about to write, grew to manhood upon his father’s farm.  Here in his young manhood he married and settled down to the life of a farmer. His mother was a pious woman and sought to fill the minds of her children with the teachings of the Bible.
She was a Methodist, and had her son sprinkled when an infant.  Years afterward, when he became a Christian, after careful study of the teachings of the Lord Jesus and the inspired Apostles, he was convinced that the immersion of believers was the only scriptural baptism, and was baptized into the fellowship of the Mount Zion Baptist Church in his native county by Eld. Reuben Berkley, the first Sunday in January, 1835.
It required years of earnest inquiry, and many hard, heart battles to reach the decision that made him a full-fledged Baptist.  And in after years he had the joy of seeing his immediate friends, including his mother, follow his example.
He was soon chosen clerk of the church, and as a layman, was made prominent, both in his home church and in the Parkersburg Association.  But a growing family and the cultivation of his farm employed all his time and attention.
There were, however, mental conflicts and heart longings that he would not speak of, even to his most intimate friends.
After almost ten years, subsequent to his baptism, an intimate friend and brother in the church, asked him if he had not been impressed with the duty of preaching the gospel.  He confessed the conviction that had long disturbed his mind, and that because of home duties and the lack of preparation, he had suppressed all these desires.
Not long after this conversation, when he was not present at the business meeting of the church, he was voted a license to preach the gospel, and an appointment was made for him to preach. He now hesitated no longer, but began his real life work as a gospel minister.
Before he entered the ministry, he had at various times, during the winters, taught school.  In this way he served his neighbors and friends, and sought to make this kind of service take the place of preaching.  To do good in this way would temporarily ease his conscience, and to his own mind, excuse him for not doing his whole duty.  Yet, herein was a kind of preparation for his future labors.
Here he learned how to gain access to the minds of boys and girls, and as all men and women are but “children of larger growth,” he was better qualified to instruct his hearers from the pulpit. But little time elapsed after he was licensed before he was called to the pastorate of two churches, one of which was his home church.  His ordination was now called for by these churches. That this was regarded as an event of great importance is shown by the fact that the ordaining council consisted of thirty-six brethren, both ministers and laymen.

The examination was “close and rigid.” Rev. George C. Sedwick led in this part of the program. He was a minister widely known in eastern Ohio and adjoining states in that day.  The sermon was preached by Rev. J. L. More, the agent of the Ohio Baptist State Convention. Among others who were present were Elders Courtney of Zanesville, Ohio, and Jesse Witt of Richmond, Virginia .  Mr. Barrett, now received an appointment as Missionary of the Virginia Baptist General Association.  His field included a number of counties in the northwest part of the State.
For seven years, without any cessation, he continued this work.  He planted many churches that have continued to grow, and to help upon many other fields.  He would often ride ten or twelve miles, preach at eleven o’clock, and ride on the same distance, preach at four o’clock, then push on to the next appointment and preach at night.

He was for two years the presiding officer of the Parkersburg Association.  He surely had work enough and honor enough to satisfy any ambition.
About this time he began a correspondence with Rev. W. M. Bell, of Miami , Missouri .
Some of his children were now grown.  One son and one daughter had become teachers.  The father thought he could possibly do more for his family, and possibly more for the great Master, by going westward.  He said, in writing of this period of his life, “I had strong drawing to this State” – Missouri .
Bro. W. M. Bell certainly did a valuable service in inclining the Barretts (father and son) to locate in Missouri .
In 1856 Mr. W. C. Barrett moved with his family to Missouri and settled in Clay County .
He soon began work as Missionary for the “North Missouri Association.”  To the writer it seems that this must have been the North Liberty Association.  But both in a manuscript before me by Mr. Barrett himself, and in Duncan ’s history, the name is given, “ North Missouri .”
As there are no data within reach to settle the point, it must be left as it appears upon the records.
The Missionary found a large work facing him.  There were, especially in Clinton County , localities where no Baptist minister was within reach to supply the people with the Gospel as it is, and has always been, preached by the ministers of this denomination.  In this there was a call for work on the part of Him who came to fill just such a place.  He was not looking for strong churches and liberal support.  He felt that his call was to the needy fields.
He became, after a time, pastor of the Second Baptist Church in Liberty , Missouri , the seat of William Jewell College , and sustained himself with credit before this intelligent and critical congregation.  He was also pastor at Missouri City , where there was a large ingathering under his ministry.
Then the war period coming on, he saw the people divided and scattered, and for four years and more, the work languished.
But when peace came, he resumed his labors and contiuued to gather new churches and to build up the weak ones as long as his strength would permit.

He had a comfortable home in Plattsburg, where he spent the last years of his life.  An influence for good was everywhere wielded by him.  It seemed scarcely possible for him to live anywhere without a church growing up around him.
His last days were spent in Lawson, where he had been blessed in his ministry, and where in the home of his daughter he had every attention and all possible kindness shown him.  His body rests in the cemetery at the last named place.  He was faithful and true to every trust, and was loved for his work’s sake by all the Lord’s people who were fortunate enough to come under his ministrations.  (Source: "Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the  Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society" by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)


BASSEL, Hon. John
Mr. Bassel, who, in life, was one of the most eminent lawyers that the Virginias have produced, was born, rearedand died in the County of Harrison, born June 9, 1840, and died in the City of Clarksburg, December 28, 1914. Hewas educated at Moore's Academy at Morgantown, Virginia, where he spent two years; later he entered Washingtonand Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated with honor; read law in the office ofthe late John J. Davis for one year; later he was a student in law in the Cincinnati College of Law, from whichhe graduated and was admitted to practice in the Courts of Harrison County, January 8, 1864. He was noted for his diligence, mental acuteness, and power of analysis; hence it was not long until he received recognition as an attorney,and his success was, therefore, early assured. He ranked among the able lawyers of his day, always conducting hiscases with admirable effectiveness and superior judgment. He had a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of the law, and never failed to exalt his profession in which it was his ambition to excel, and lamented the tendency,in later years, to lower its ideals. He never failed to keep in mind the advice of Lord Coke, that, "He that knoweth not the reason of the law, knoweth not the law." At the trial of causes he was alert, adroit and untiring.  In the argument of cases he reasoned well and convincingly. He was a dangerous opponent in debate, but was never spectacular nor offensive. He possessed a remarkably retentive memory and could cite cases with marvelous precision. He was always a student, and remembered what he read, and his mind was accordingly stored and enriched not onlyby a knowledge of the law itself, but by the history of events culled from the classics and from profane and sacred writers as well, which he often used with telling effect in his arguments before courts and juries.
Mr. Bassel was twice married, first to Miss Martha Lewis, by whom he had six children, and second to Miss MaryBean, who survived him and is still a resident of Clarksburg. She is a woman of marked ability, and was a valuable assistant to her husband in aiding him in the management of his large volume of business which was a burden to him in his declining years.
Mr. Bassel was a Democrat, but devoted very little time and thought to politics. The first and only office, to which he was ever elected by the people, was a member of the State Convention that prepared the Constitution of the State in 1872, under which we are still living. In that body of distinguished men, he took high rank, becauseof his thorough knowledge of the law.
He was for many years counsel for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, and gave to its affairs the most careful and assiduous attention.
He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, was domestic in his tastes and habits, enjoyed associations with hisfriends, and in his intercourse with members of the Bar, he was ever courteous, kind and considerate. He was presidentof the State Bar Association in 1901, and was a faithful attendant upon its annual meetings. The association was in session at Parkersburg the day of his demise, and twenty of its members, as a mark of respect, were appointedto attend his funeral. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

BLAIR, Jacob Beeson
(1821--1901)
BLAIR, Jacob Beeson, a Representative from Virginia and from West Virginia; born in Parkersburg, Wood County, Va. (now W.Va.), April 11, 1821; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1844; lawyer, private practice; prosecuting attorney, Ritchie County, Va. (now W.Va.); elected as a Unionist from Virginia to the Thirty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of United States Representative John S. Carlile (December 2, 1861-March 3, 1863); elected as an Unconditional Unionist from West Virginia to the Thirty-eighth Congress (December 7, 1863-March 3, 1865); United States Minister to Costa Rica, 1868-1873; associate justice of the supreme court of Wyoming, 1876-1888; probate judge for Salt Lake County, Utah, 1892-1895; surveyor general of Utah, 1897-1901; died on February 12, 1901, Salt Lake City, Utah; interment in Mount Olive Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Utah. [Biographical Directory of U.S. Congress - Submitted by Anna Newell]

Blair, Jacob B., lawyer, jurist, congressman, was born April 11, 1821, in Parkersburg, Va. He was prosecuting attorney for Ritchie County for several years. In 1861-65 he was a representative from Virginia to the thirty-seventh and thirty-eighth congresses. In 1867 he was elected a representative in the state legislature; and was United States minister to Costa Rica in 1868-72. In 1876-88 he was associate justice of the supreme court of Wyoming territory. He died Feb. 12, 1901, in Salt Lake City, Utah. [Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by AFFG]

BLIZZARD, Judge Reese
Judge Blizzard, one of West Virginia's noted attorneys and jurists, who has been a resident of the city of Parkersburg for a great many years, engaged in active and successful practice, is a native of Nicholas County, West Virginia, where he was born October 17, 1865. His parents were James and Elizabeth Blizzard of that county, who subsequently moved to Gilmer County, where the subject of this sketch attended the public schools and was later graduated from the Glenville State Normal School. After graduation he engaged in teaching in the public schools of Gilmer and Calhoun counties in which he was quite successful. After following this profession for several years he took up the study of law in the office of Linn and Withers at Glenville and was admitted to the Bar of that county. He subsequently located at Grantsville, Calhoun County, where he opened an office and began what soon turned out to be a very lucrative practice. He possessed, in a large degree, energy, force of will and tenacity of purpose to win. He was found in his law office early and late, went to the bedrocks of his cases, and when he appeared in court he knew the law and tried them successfully, in most instances; consequently, in a remarkably short time he made a reputation as an unusually successful young lawyer. In the meantime his business kept on expanding.
The Republican party, to which he belongs, nominated him for Judge of the Circuit Court in a Democratic district and he was elected, after a heated contest, and filled the position creditably and ably. At the end of four years he resigned andopened an office in the city ofParkersburg, where he, in a short time, built up a large practice. Shortly after he located at Parkersburg he was appointed United States District Attorney for the Northern District of West Virginia,which office he ably filled for ten years.
His force ofwill, self-reliance andcourage are more than common. From the beginning he had no assistance and really wanted none. In whatever duty he entered he threw his strong personality. He likes everybody and is owned by none. If there is such a personage as a "self-made man" Judge Blizzard is that one. He mapped out his own career and won out grandly. He is not only an able lawyer, but he is a leader in civic matters. He is a farmer and stock raiser, specially of fine bred horses, and for a number of years he has been president of a successful banking institution in the city of Parkersburg. He has been twice married and has seven children. He has always been a Republican in politics. He helps every one who needs help and seeks for himself the help ofnone. Hs is one man who "paddles his own canoe." [Bench And Bar of West Virginia byGeorge Wesley Atkinson, 1919 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

BOREMAN, Arthur Inghram
(1823--1896)
Senate Years of Service: 1869-1875
Party: Republican
BOREMAN, Arthur Inghram, a Senator from West Virginia; born in Waynesburg, Pa., July 24, 1823; moved to Virginia with his parents, who settled in Middlebourne, Tyler County, in 1827, and in Moundsville, Marshall County, in 1840; attended the public schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1843 and commenced practice in Parkersburg; member, Virginia house of delegates 1855-1861; presided over the convention of supporters of the Union of the northwestern counties of Virginia held at Wheeling, June 19, 1861, to form the new State of West Virginia; elected judge of the circuit court, nineteenth circuit of Virginia 1861-1863; the first Governor of West Virginia 1863-1869, when he resigned to accept the nomination as United States Senator; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate and served from March 4, 1869, to March 3, 1875; was not a candidate for reelection in 1874; chairman, Select Committee on the Removal of Political Disabilities (Forty-second Congress), Committee on Territories (Forty-third Congress); resumed the practice of law in Parkersburg, W.Va.; elected judge of the circuit court for the fifth judicial circuit of West Virginia in 1888 and served until his death in Parkersburg, Wood County, W.Va., April 19, 1896; interment in the Odd Fellows Cemetery. [Biographical Directory of U.S. Congress - Submitted by Anna Newell]

Boreman, Arthur Inghram
Lawyer, jurist, United States senator, governor, was born July 24, 1823, in Waynesburg, Pa. In 1855 he was elected to the house of delegates of Virginia; and was re-elected until 1860. He was also a member of the extra session of the legislature in 1861, taking an active part against the secession movement. He was president of the Wheeling convention of 1861 to reorganize the government of Virginia. He was a judge of the circuit court in 1861-63; was the first governor of West Virginia in 1861-69. In 1869-73 he was United States senator. In 1888-96 he was judge of the fifth circuit of West Virginia. He died April 19, 1896, in Parkersburg, W.Va.[Herringshaws National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Boreman, Hon. Arthur I.
Among the distinguished men of West Virginia who were leaders, not only in the legal profession but figured prominently in the organization of the State, was the subject of this sketch. He was born in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, July 24, 1823. In boyhood he came to Virginia, and after receiving a common school education, he read law with his elder brother, William I. Boreman, at Middlebourn, Tyler County, and was admitted to the Bar in May, 1843. In November of that year, he located at Parkersburg, where he continued to reside, until the day of his death, when he was about eighty years of age. For many years he was a Whig in his political convictions, but became a Republican at the organization of that party, and remained in that political party the remainder of his life. He was a tireless worker, a man of unlimited energy, of sleepless industry, of absolute courage and during his entire life there was never an aspersion, or an attack of any sort on his moral character. His long public and private life were noted for integrity, uprightness and usefulness. He was successful as a lawyer, and was thoroughly honorable in all of his dealings with his fellow men. He was a man of positive convictions, and was, during all of his mature years, sought by the people for counsel and advice.
In 1855 he was elected from Wood County a member of the Virginia Legislature, and was successively re-elected until 1860, and was a member of that distinguished body in 186l when the question of secession was discussed, and his opposition to that movement was conspicuous. During that year he presided over the Wheeling Convention that organized the Restored Government of Virginia. In October, 1861, he was elected a Circuit Judge of the Parkersburg Circuit, and discharged the functions of that office ably, until his election in 1863 as the first Governor of the new State of West Virginia. Two years later he was re-elected to the same high office, serving both terms honorably and ably. In 1868 he was elected to the United States Senate, and was regarded as a faithful and able Senator. After retiring from a six-year term as a Senator he returned to Parkersburg, reopened his law office, and was re-establishing a profitable practice; without the asking on his part, he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court over which he had presided a quarter of a century before. As a lawyer he was able, and as a Judge he was fair and just, and was absolutely incorruptible. He ended his days on the Bench he had highly honored in his early and later life. He was for many years, a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was a delegate to its General Conference in 1888. He married Mrs. Lauraine Bullock, November 30, 1864, but left no direct descendants. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

BROWN, Hon. William G.
The ancestry of this branch of the Brown family was Scotch. From Edinburgh, James Brown came to Virginia, in 1790, and located in Monongalia County. William G., his fourth son, was born September 25, 1800. He studied law with Oliver Phelps and J. H. Samuels, of Parkersburg, Virginia; was admitted to the Bar of Preston County, Virginia, in 1828; served as Prosecuting Attorney of Preston County for several terms, until 1832; supported Andrew Jackson for the Presidency every time he was a candidate; was a member of the Legislature of Virginia in 1832, 1840-1-2-3; was elected a member of Congress in 1845, and was re-elected in 1847; was a member of the Constitutional Convention of Virginia in 1850; was a delegate to the Richmond Convention of 1861, which adopted the Ordinance of Secession, but he voted against its adoption. He participated in the Wheeling Convention that organized "The Restored Government Virginia," and saved Western Virginia to the Union, and was elected to the 37th Congress as a Representative of the Restored Government of Virginia, and was the first Representative from the 2d Congressional District of West 'Virginia, after she was admitted to statehood. He was a member of the Convention of 1872 that framed the second Constitution for West Virginia. He was also elected to the Legislature of 1872-3. He was a man of the highest character, and always had the implicit confidence of all his fellow citizens. He was also known and recognized as one of the ablest and most successful lawyers of his period.
 Mr. Brown died at Kingwood at an advanced age, and left a widow and one son William G. Brown, Jr. who was also a very successful lawyer and a resident of Preston County all of his life. He was serving his third term in Congress, from his father's old district, when in 1916, death took him in his prime of strength, usefulness and success in life.
 Both of them were Democrats of the strictest sect, although the elder Brown, who was a staunch Union man, acted with the Republicans until after the close of the Civil War, when he returned to his first love the Democratic Party. "Junior " Brown, as he was always called, from his boyhood, adhered to the Democratic party. Both of them were men of wealth, as well as of influence and high standing in the State. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

COLE, Howard
Cole, Howard, timber lands; born, Parkersburg, W. Va., May 1, 1868; son of Joseph Howard and Bettie (Dudley) Cole; educated in public schools, Parkersburg, W. Va., to 1887. Cashier State Savings Bank, Roanoke, Va., 1887-89; in 1889 went South and was engaged in land business in Louisiana and Mississippi; was resident in Vicksburg, Miss., five years before coming to Chicago, Apr. 1, 1904. President Mississippi Realty Co., incorporated in 1899, and operating in timber lands in Mississippi and Louisiana; in 1908 organized firm of Howard Cole & Co., Incorporated, of which is president. Also president Columbia Timber Co. (Vancouver, B. C), Howard Cole Timber and Investment Co. (Vancouver, B. C), Silver Lake Timber Co. (Florida), Florida Land and Timber Co.; director Morris Lumber Co., and vice president and director in a number of other concerns. Republican. Recreation: driving. Office: 235 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 4564 W. Pine St. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

COLES, Walter De Rosset
Lawyer; born, Parkersburg, W. Va., Jan. 6, 1868; son of Walter and Anne Taylor (Preston) Coles; attended University of Virginia, 1884-88; graduated from Law Department, Washington University, LL.B., 1889; unmarried. Admitted to bar, 1889, and since engaged in practice in St. Louis; assistant United States District Attorney, 1894-98; referee in bankruptcy at St. Louis since 1898. Episcopalian. Democrat. Member of American Academy of Political and Social Science, Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis and American Bar Associations. Clubs: University, Noonday, Racquet, City, Bellerive Country. Office: Room 415, Security Bldg.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

FERGUSON, James H.
James H. Ferguson was born April 14, 1817, in Montgomery county, Virginia. In 1835 he removed to Barboursville, Cabell county, where he studied law and was admitted to the Bar in 1840. In 1845 he removed to the county of Logan, and was elected Prosecuting Attorney of that county, which office he filled until the year 1848, when he was elected a member of the House of Delegates of Virginia from the counties of Logan and Boone. He was re-elected to the same office in each year until 1851, when a new Constitution of the State was adopted. In 1850, while a member of the House of Delegates, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1850-'51, from the District composed of the counties of Mason, Putnam, Cabell, Wayne, Boone, Wyoming and Logan, and was consequently a member of both bodies at the same time. On his first appearance in the Legislature, he was made a member of the Judiciary Committeethe most important committee of the bodyand at each session thereafter, until the close of his service, he was chairman of that committee. During his service as a member of that Legislature, the country was in a state of great excitement over the question of slavery, and especially over the celebrated "Willmot Proviso," which had been offered to a bill in the Congress of the United States to prohibit slavery in any territory acquired from Mexico by a treaty of peace with that country. A protracted discussion was had in the Legislature over this proviso, in which he participated, taking the Southern view of the question. But his remedy for all such legislation by Congress was nullification, and not secession. He always opposed a dissolution of the Union, and long before the commencement of the late civil war, he gave up the doctrine of nullification, rightfully concluding that a State could not be practically both in and out of the Union at the same time. He supported the great compromise of 1850, of the slavery question in its relation to the territories of the United States, brought forward by Mr. Clay, of Kentucky, and adopted by Congress. Entertaining these views, he regarded it as his duty to support the Government in all its measures to defend, protect and perpetuate the Union of the States, against the misguided efforts of those who sought to destroy it, and he did so from the commencement to the end of the war.
In 1864 he settled again in the county of Cabell, and in the fall of that year was elected to the House of Delegates of West Virginia and served, by re-elections, through the sessions of 1867, 1868, (and extra session), and 1871. At all these sessions, except that of 1865, he was chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and at the sessions of 1868 he was chairman of the Joint Committee on the revision of the code of West Virginia, made by the revisora, which committee was charged with the duty of amending that revision and reporting it to the Legislature for action; and by appointment of the Legislature he prepared and indexed that Code (the Code of 1868) for publication. At the session of 1865 he introduced a bill abolishing slavery in West Virginia, and succeeded, after much opposition in securing its passage, after much opposition, in advance of the adoption, by any other State, of the amendment to the Constitution of the United States for that purpose.
In 1868 he was elected Judge of the Circuit Court for the Judicial district composed of the counties of Logan, Boone, Lincoln, Wayne and Cabell, for the term of six years, but resigned after a service of one year and seven months, and returned to his practice at the Bar, in which he is now actively engaged, principally as attorney for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company in West Virginia.
In 1875 he removed to the county of Kanawha, where he now resides. In 1876, he was, together with E. W. Wilson, now Governor of the State, and William A. Quarrier, elected to the West Virginia House of Delegates from Kanawha county; and in 1880 he was again elected, together with the same gentlemen, to the same office. At the time of their first election, the permanent location of the seat of Government for the State was the main question in which the county of Kanawha was interested, and they were elected with special reference to that matter. At the request of his distinguished colleagues, he took charge of the contest in reference to that question on behalf of the city of Charleston, prepared all the bills offered on the subject, including that which finally passed the Legislature, and which resulted in making Charleston the permanent seat of Government of the State.
Judge Ferguson's wife was formerly Miss Lizzie A. Creel, daughter of George A. and Prudence S. (nee Spencer) Cook, of Wood county, Virginia. Their home, appropriately called "Grand View," is situated on the crest of the hill south of the Kanawha river which flows at its base, and seems almost to hover over the city of Charleston beneath. From it, the eye looks out upon the magnificent panorama of hills and vales extending away for miles in the distance, as well as upon the limpid stream which pursues its sinuous way along the beautiful valley of the Kanawha. Their property includes the historic "Hale's Branch," where, a century ago, young Hale, on a trip to that spring for it pail of water for the use of his affianced wife, lying sick in the fort on the opposite side of the river, in compliance with a wish expressed by her, was shot and killed by an Indian, from the hill beyond. And now, although a hundred years have flown since the life-blood of this heroic youth crimsoned its waters, the spring, the scene of the tragedy, still flows gently on, reminding us of those beautiful lines:
Judge Ferguson, by common consent, is regarded the ablest legislator ever born in Virginia west of the Blue Ridge. His handiwork is seen in almost every line of the legislation of our State. He is also eminent as a lawyer. But few men in both Virginias can be justly ranked as his equal in that learned profession. Although above the allotted "three-score years and ten," he is in good health, and is actively engaged in the practice of his profession. "Men may come, and men may go, But I flow on forever." [Prominent Men of West Virginia: Biographical Sketches, the Growth and Advancement of the State, a Compendium of Returns of Every State Officer by George Wesley Atkinson and Alvaro Franklin Gibbens, 1890 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

GAINER, John T.
John T. Gainer, cashier of the Clay County Bank and one of the most prominent financiers and esteemed citizens of Clay Court House, West Virginia, was born May 31, 1871. in Auburn. Ritchie County, West Virginia. He is a son of Albert and Susan A. (Loudon) Gainer, the former of whom was born in January, 1848. and the latter on January 2, 1849. Our subject's mother was a daughter of Thomas Loudon, who removed from Virginia and settled in Upshur County, West Virginia. She was born in Gilman County and there was married to Albert Gainer. The father of the subject of this sketch is a son of John Gainer and a grandson of Bryan Gainer, of Irish ancestry, who removed from Barbour County to what is now Lewis County, West Virginia. Since 1879 Albert Gainer has been a traveling salesman.
John T. Gainer was educated in the common schools and was reared on his father's farm. From the age of 17 to 19 years he was engaged in clerical work in a general store, and then entered the Calhoun County Bank at Grantsville as assistant cashier, where he continued until August 20, 1902, when he accepted his present position. The Clay County Bank was organized June 4, 1002, with C. S. Pearcy as its first cashier, our subject succeeding him. Since taking charge, the capital stock has been increased to $50,000, and the institution ranks high with others of its kind with respect to its stability and to the safety and value of its investments.
Mr. Gainer was married July 28, 1805, to Minnie A. Jeffries. His second marriage was to Belle Ball, on August 18, 1901. One daughter, Madeline, has been born to this union.
Mr. Gainer is one of the leading Republicans of his county, in fact has been conspicuous in party affairs ever since he reached his majority. In Calhoun County he served on the Republican Executive Committee and has been elected from that county a delegate to many conventions. His interest is, however, only that of an intelligent and public spirited citizen. His business is banking, and few are more thoroughly conversant with its requirements than he, and he has never been willing to accept public office. His fraternal relations are with Eureka Lodge No. 40. A. F. & A. M., of Grantsville, Calhoun County; Jerusalem Chapter, No. 3, R. A. M., of Parkersburg; and Calvary Commandery, No. 3, K. T., also of Parkersburg.
In addition to the saddlery and harness business proper, he carries a large line of shoe findings and shoemaker's supplies. The public in general knows that he sells his goods at the right prices. The splendid success of nearly 20 years has fully demonstrated this. Mr. Popp enjoys a large mail-order business, and all orders intrusted in his care are highly appreciated and always attended to with great promptness and to the satisfaction of the customer. [Men of West Virginia by Biographical Publishing Company - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

GROSS, Martin R.
Was born in Gallia county, Ohio, August 17, 1844. He is a son of Jacob and Lydia (Rife) Gross, the latter of whom is deceased. Mr. Gross' father settled in this county in 1811. Eliza E. Gates became the wife of Mr. Gross in Wood county, West Virginia, October 4, 1866. She is a daughter of Thompson and Sarah (Gould) Gates, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Gross was born in Wood county, West Virginia, August 2, 1841. She is the mother of the following children: Lottie M., born December 11, 1867, resides in Gallipolis; Edwin E., April 17, 1879, resides in Gallipolis; Marion E., October 25, 1872, deceased; Herbert S., July 29, 1877; Bernice W., February 2, 1880. Mr. Gross was a soldier in the late war, enlisting on the 22d of July, 1862, in Battery F, Second Ohio Heavy Artillery; he served to the close of the war, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, August 29, 1865, and was honorably discharged at Camp Chase, Ohio. Martin R. Gross is the senior partner of the firm of M. R. Gross & County., undertakers, No. 59 State street, four doors north of postoffice. Calls from the city or country are promptly attended to; two elegant hearses are always in readiness for funerals, and their charges are moderate. Night calls are answered at the residence of Mr. Gross, corner Fourth and Cedar streets, and at Jeffers' livery stable. They also deal in wall paper, baby carriages, etc. All communications should be addressed to Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

HARRIS, Thomas M.
Thomas M. Harris, Brigadier-General, was born in Wood County, (W) Va., June 17, 1817. He studied medicine and practiced at Harrisville and Glenville, Va., until the Civil war, and on March 17, 1862, became lieutenant-colonel of the 10th W. Va. Infantry, becoming colonel of his regiment on May 20. He served throughout the war, being promoted brigadier-general March 29, 1865. He sent out the detachment that silenced the last Confederate guns at Appomattox, and was mustered out of the service April 30, 1866. He was brevetted brigadier-general of volunteers, Oct. 19, 1864, for gallant and meritorious service at the battle of Middletown, Va., and major-general of volunteers April 2, 1865, for gallant conduct in the assault on Petersburg, Va. After the war Gen. Harris served one term in the West Virginia Legislature, was adjutant-general of the state in 1869-70, and pension agent at Wheeling in 1871-77. He is the author of medical essays and a tract entitled Calvanism Vindicated.� (Source: The Union Army, Vol. VIII. Published 1908.)

HARRISON, Judge William A.
Judge Harrison, the senior member of the first Supreme Court of Appeals of the State of West Virginia, was born in Prince William County, Virginia, August 27, 1795. His education was obtained in the schools of that section. He, however, was ambitious and was an earnest seeker after knowledge, and consequently used every facility within his reach to store his mind with such knowledge as would be of value to him in after life. At an early age he chose the law for his profession, and all the books he read, and really mastered, were in that direction. In this way he pieced out what, in that day, was considered a fairly good education for even a professional man. He, therefore, may be classed as a self-educated and selfmade man. He read law under the guidance of his brother-in-law, Obed Waits, of Winchester, Virginia, one of his most valued friends and helpers in time of need. In 1819 he was sufficiently informed in the fundamental principles of the profession to enable him to pass a creditable examination for admission to the Winchester Bar. Shortly after his admission he came to Parkersburg, Wood County, on the Ohio River, and entered upon the practice of his chosen profession. The first circuit in which he practiced was presided over by Judge Daniel Smith, which was composed of the Counties of Rockingham, Pendleton, Preston, Monongalia, Brooke, Ohio, Tyler, Wood, Lewis and Harrison. This circuit embraced all the territory between the Pennsylvania line and the Little Kanawha River. The custom of that period was for the aspiring attorneys to travel with the judge and attend all of the courts embraced in the Judicial Circuit twice a year. In this way lawyers of ability and industry managed to secure a paying practice, and young Harrison, who possessed many natural gifts, succeeded in picking up more than his share of the cases disposed of on these various swings around the circuit.
In 1821 he moved to Clarksburg, Harrison County, and thereafter made that town his permanent home, and remained there up to the time of his death, which occurred December 31, 1870. In 1823 he was appointed Assistant United States District Attorney for the Western Distript of Virginia, which office he filled acceptably and ably, traveling on horseback twice a year to Wytheville to attend upon the sessions of the court. After the establishment of the Court of Appeals of Virginia at Lewisburg in Greenbrier County, he practiced regularly at its bar until the breaking out of the Civil War in 1861. His practice, during a long, successful life, was one of immense labor, requiring great research and profound investigation. He appeared, during his career, before seven Federal Judges, fifteen Circuit Judges, and twelve judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia. He was elected a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia after the formation of the State in 1863, and served with great ability.
Judge Harrison was a Union man and a Republican, but was never a politician. He preferred the calm and dignified contests of the bar to the more animated scenes incident to partisan warfare. He, however, represented Harrison County three terms in the Legislature of Virginia in ante bellum days. He was also United States Attorney for the Western District, and Prosecuting Attorney of Harrison County, one term in each office. When the Civil War came on in 1861 he took a firm stand for the Union, and was one of the leaders in the erection of the new Commonwealth of West Virginia. The Circuit Judge of the Harrison County District was vacated by its judge going with the South, and Judge Harrison was elected that year (1861) to fill out his term, which position he occupied until elected a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the new State in 1863.
He was an able and a just judge, and ranked among the leading lawyers of his time. He was of large stature and commanding presence; in religious convictions he was a Presbyterian; was married and left a large family of honored citizens; one of his sons, Thomas W. Harrison, became a prominent citizen and was one of Harrison County's distinguished Circuit Court Judges. No better people can be found anywhere than the immediate descendants of William A. Harrison. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

HAY, Hamilton
Son of Reuben and Margaret (Alisher) Hay, who moved to this county (Gallia Co, OH)  in 1817. They are both deceased. He lives in Eureka, Clay township. He is a farmer, and was married twice. His first wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Ward and Jeyney (Ward) Shaw, died September 2, 1874, aged 43 years 7 months and 6 days. He was born in Gallia county, November 18, 1833, and married Nancy, daughter of Peter and Mary A. R. (Buckley) Pravo, in Wood county, West Virginia, November 10, 1873. She was born in Wood county, West Virginia, April 31, 1851. He settled in this county in 1823, and was trustee four years and school director fifteen years. His parents came here in 1817, and second wife's parents in 1865. He had no children with his second wife. The names of his children by the first wife are: infant, born January 18, 1853, died same day; Emery, January 18, 1855, lives at Millersport and is a merchant; Mary A., January 25, 1857, lives in Dakota Territory; Lydia L., May 13, 1859, lives in Dakota Territory; America, September 3, 1861, at home; Ruben, October 4, 1863, resides in Dakota Territory; Elizabeth, November 4, 1865, died August 22, 1869. His parents were among the early pioneers and had to undergo the privations allotted to early settlers. They had to grind their breadstuffs on hand-mills and their meats were all wild. On Sunday they had a luxury of wheat bread and coffee, but no churches or schools. The first sermon was preached in his father's house, by Rev. John Lee, a Baptist minister. He was born and always lived in Raccoon Bottom. At his birth there were only five houses where now there are fine farms and a great many improvements. Only one man, Graston Davis, is now living of the old pioneers. Address, Mr. Hay, Eureka Postoffice, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

HAYMOND, Judge Alpheus F.
Judge Haymond, son of Col. Thomas S. and Harriet A. Haymond, was born on a farm near Fairmont, Marion County, Virginia, December 15, 1823. His early life was uneventful, but even in his youth he showed the vigor of thought and bold independence characteristic of subsequent years. Until the age of thirteen he attended school near his home, then went to Morgantown, Monongalia County Academy, where he remained two years, then to William and Mary College, Williamstown, Virginia, where he remained for a few terms. He read law with Edgar E. Wilson, of Morgantown, and was admitted to the Bar in 1842 when only nineteen years of age. He soon became recognized as an able lawyer, and had secured a paying practice before the Civil War. In early life he revealed a liking for politics. In 1853, and again in 1857, he was elected a member of the Legislature of Virginia from Marion County, and in 1861 he was a member of the Virginia Convention, and opposed Secession; but after the State seceded he entered the Confederate Army and remained therein until after the surrender of General Lee at Appomattox, when he returned to his home at Fairmont and resumed his law practice, which rapidly grew to large proportions.
Being a strong lawyer he was appropriately chosen a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1872 to frame a new Constitution for the State of West Virginia, in which he figured conspicuously and ably. At the first election under that revised Constitution he was elected a member of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State; served ably thereon until 1876, when he was re-elected to the same position for the full term of twelve years. He was a just and able judge. He wrote many opinions, all of which reveal honesty of purpose and determination to deal out justice without fear or favor. He was most careful in the preparation of his opinions, because he knew that hasty, ill-considered decisions by Appellate Courts are unprofitable to the public, unreliable as precedents and authority for the legal profession or the citizen, and discreditable to the court that makes them. Consequently he labored zealously to get at the facts, merits and law of every case he passed upon, or was decided by any of his associates on the Appellate Bench during his membership of the Court. He was necessarily an untiring worker, so much so that he found his health giving way under the necessary strain of the daily grind, and he decided to abandon his work upon the bench; consequently he resigned the position January 1, 1883, which he had so ably filled for ten years, and retired to private life.
Judge Haymond was a Democrat, a man of medium height, heavy build, face of a round contour, of agreeable and graceful manners, and of even temper. In his later years his practice was confined exclusively to the Supreme Court. He departed this life December 15, 1893, thus ending a distinguished and useful career.
He was a married man and had an interesting family. One of his sons is now judge of the Circuit Court of Marion County, and is a lawyer of acknowledged ability, and a safe and reliable jurist. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

JACKSON, Hon. Jacob Bekson
Hon. Jacob Beeson Jackson, the fourth child and third son of the Hon. John Jay and Mrs. Emma G. Jackson, was born at Parkersburg on the 6th day of April, 1829. He inherited a strong athletic constitution, a thoughtful, reflective mind, of more than ordinary grasp and capacity for investigation. The vigor of his intellectual faculties are splayed with great force, when the subject of thought or investigation required an analytical exposition. With his elder brothers his youthful years were spent in the common schools of the town. At the age of twenty he chose and commenced the study of the law as his profession in the law office of his venerable father, under his and his brother's instruction, and completed his studies so as to pass an examination and receive a license to practice his profession from the Hon Judges McComas, George H. Lee and Joseph L Fry, in the month of March, 1852.
He immediately settled and commenced the practice of law at St. Mary's, in Pleasants county. In the month of November, 1852, the citizens of Pleasants county elected him their Prosecuting Attorney on behalf of the State. The duties and responsibilities of that office he ably filled in that county for eleven years. In 1864 he removed from St. Mary's to Parkersburg, and continued in the practice of his profession, and was numbered among the ablest advocates at the bar.
In November, 1870, he was elected the Prosecuting Attorney of Wood county, and entered upon the discharge of its duties and 1st of January, 1872, and successfully filled and performed the duties of that office for six consecutive years. The ability and legal acumen which, as an attorney for the State, he brought to bear in criminal prosecutions has secured for him the highest consideration as an advocate.
In the fall of 1875 he was elected to a seat in the Legislature, and was appointed chairman of the Committee on Judiciary. In the fall of 1880 he was the Democratic nominee for Governor of the State, and was elected by an overwhelming majority. His career as Governor and subsequent history are too well known to warrant repetition. [Source: Wheeling Register (Wheeling WV) Saturday June 21, 1888]

KENNEY Family
One of the younger men of Parkersburg, who has become prominent professionally and politically in the state of West Virginia, is Alfred Edwin Kenney.
(I) Martin Kenney, the father of Alfred Edwin Kenney, was born in Ohio, May 9, 1841. Having lived for some time in different parts of that state, he came into West Virginia, and here he was a merchant in Wirt county. He is now retired, and lives a short distance from Parkersburg. Mr. Kenney is of Irish ancestry, a Democrat, and a devout Catholic; a good citizen, a good man, and a good Christian. He married Mary E., daughter of Patrick Hosey. She also is of Irish descent. Mrs. Kenney is related to the Carrolls of Maryland and New York, that Irish family so illustrious in the early history of this nation, both civil and religious. Among their children is Alfred Edwin, of whom further.
(II) Alfred Edwin, son of Martin and Mary E. (Hosey) Kenney, was born at McConnelsville, Morgan county, Ohio, October 5, 1867. Early in life he came with his parents to Burning Springs, Wirt county, West Virginia, where he received a public school education, through the high school grades. After this he attended Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia, and in the excellent law department of this well-known Jesuit university he took his professional studies, from 1893 to 1895; at his graduation he received the degree of Master of Laws. Mr. Kenney settled first at Grantsville, the county seat of Calhoun county, West Virginia, and here he was most active, not only in professional life, but also in politics. Several times he was chairman of the Calhoun county Democratic committee; through five sessions he represented this county in the state legislature; in 1897 he was a member of the constitutional commission; several times he has been assistant clerk of the West Virginia house of delegates; from 1908 to 1912 he was secretary of the Democratic state executive committee; from 1910 to 1912 he was a member and active at the headquarters of the Democratic congressional committee of the fourth district, and treasurer of the committee; in the same year he was chairman of the state convention of his party, held at Huntington, and one of the presidential electors who cast the vote of this state for Wilson and Marshall as president and vice-president of the United States. He is the author of Kenney's "Geography of West Virginia." Mr. Kenney is interested in oil, is a director in the Parkersburg Banking & Trust Company, and a stockholder in several other banks. He 1s a member of the Knights of Columbus and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In religion he is a Catholic, being a member of St. Xavier's Church of this city.
[West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

LEE, Judge George Hay
Judge Lee was one of the eminent lawyers and jurists of Western Virginia. He was born at Winchester in the Shenandoah Valley in 1807, and was educated at the University of Virginia, and graduated about 1830, and soon thereafter was admitted to the bar. In 1831 he located at Clarksburg, Harrison County, in the western part of the State, and practiced his profession with great success until the time of his death, which occurred November 20, 1873. He was learned in the law, and for nearly a half century maintained a high rank among the members of the profession prior to and after the division of the State. For a number of years he and the late Judge Mathew Edmiston, of Weston, Lewis County, were partners in the practice, with offices at Clarksburg, Weston and Parkersburg. Both of them being men of unusual ability, the firm was employed on one side or the other, of most, if not all, of the important causes in all of the courts in the half dozen or more counties of the interior section of what is now the State of West Virginia. Judge Lee is remembered as one of the ablest of office lawyers or pleaders of his day, while Judge Edmiston was noted as a trial lawyer or advocate, thus giving the firm unusual prominence, and rendering them almost invincible as trial lawyers in all classes of cases.
Judge Lee was twice elected a member of the Legislature of Virginia from Harrison County while he was comparatively a young man, and was also Prosecuting Attorney of Harrison County for one or more terms. Later he served a full term as United States District Attorney for the Western District of Virginia, and was an able and faithful official. He was next appointed a Circuit Judge by the Legislature, where he developed superior qualities as a jurist. His decisions were clear, pointed and strong, and clearly showed that he possessed, in a marked degree, the judicial temperament. In 1850 the Constitution of Virginia was amended so as to require the election of all judges by the people, and Judge Lee was elected one of the judges of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State. In this appellate position he served with great acceptability until the close of his term. He returned to Clarksburg and resumed the practice of his profession, which he kept up, in important causes, until the time of his death, as stated above in 1873. He was tall of stature, wore a long beard, and was a commanding figure in any gathering of men. He was also a man of exalted character, and commanding influence in both of the Virginias. His integrity was absolutely above reproach. Rarely is there found in the ranks of men one so symmetrical in mind and character, one so sound in judgment, so unerring in moral perception, so faithful to every duty, and so loyal to the right, as he, through his entire career. His life as a lawyer and a jurist, whether judged by reference to labor performed, pecuniary gain or fame, he stood in the forefront of his profession.
He was twice married and had six children, three daughters and three sons, all of whom but one are now deceased. He lived in a palatial home on Lee Street in the city of Clarksburg, where forty-two years of his life were spent. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

LEWIS Family
Charles Lewis, the first member of this family of whom we have any definite information, was born in Old Virginia, and died in Clay county, West Virginia, aged ninety-three years. He was a miller by trade, and in 1849 settled in Clay county, where he established a mill which he conducted until his death. He married, in Old Virginia, a Miss Stone, and had issue, six children.
(II) Hiram, son of Charles and (Stone) Lewis, was born in Giles county, Virginia, in 1835, and is now living in Sutton, West Virginia. He removed with his parents from Virginia to Clay county, West Virginia, when fourteen years of age, and received his early education in the public schools, and then worked in his father's mill, and on the outbreak of the civil war enlisted in the Federal army as a member of the Seventh West Virginia Cavalry, and served throughout the war, being early promoted to the rank of lieutenant and taking part in the Lynchburg raid and many other battles and minor engagements. After the war he returned to his home and resumed his occupation as a miller, in which he continued for many years, and has now retired from active business. He married Rebecca Ann, daughter of Norval and Susan (Summers) Shannon, born in Clay county, West Virginia in 1845, now living in Sutton. Children: Benjamin Darlington, referred to below; Clement Elisha, born 1869, now living in West Charleston, West Virginia.
(III) Benjamin Darlington, a son of Hiram and Rebecca Ann (Shannon) Lewis, was born on his father's farm in Clay county, West Virginia, October 26, 1867, and is now living in Sutton, West Virginia. He removed to Elk River, Clay county, with his parents, when he was three years of age, and received his early education there in the public schools, and later graduated from the State Normal School at Glenville, West Virginia. He then learned the trade of a printer, which he followed for five years, a portion of that time in Kansas, and, returning to Clay county in 1888, engaged in the milling business at Yankee Dam, where he remained until 1897, and then removed to Frameton, Clay county, where he engaged in the same business, and finally, in 1901, settled in Sutton and built a mill which he operated until 1910, when he erected opposite to it the present mill of the Riverview Milling Company, of which he is still the general manager, while retaining stock and an interest in the former enterprise. He is a stockholder in the Farmers Bank & Trust Company, and also in the Sutton Wholesale Grocery Company. He is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons.
He married, at Wilsonburg, Harrison county, West Virginia, Minnie E., daughter of Rev. Bennett D. Mahone, born in Lincoln county, West Virginia, now living in Sutton. Children: Frederick Mahone, born May 13, 1888, now living in Parkersburg, West Virginia; Flora M., born 1893; Stella Mabel. [West Virginia and its people, Volume 3 By Thomas Condit Miller and Hu Maxwell, 1913 Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

LINN Family
History discloses the fact that this Linn family came from good old Scotch-Irish ancestry, and that among its scions were revolutionary soldiers, eminent judges, attorneys, physicians and politicians, of much more than the ordinary ability and influence, especially in the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the Virginias, and Missouri. Later generations intermarried with the New England family of Newcombs; hence the following narrative will treat, to some extent of both families, which include the well known attorney-at-law in West Virginia and Charleston, Robert G. Linn.

(I) Joseph Linn, of Scotch-Irish descent, was born in 1725, and died April 8, 1800. He married Martha Kirkpatrick, a native of the city of Belfast, Ireland, born in 1728; died March 7, 1791, daughter of Andrew Kirkpatrick. Joseph Linn was an adjutant in the Second Regiment of Sussex Militia, of Virginia, during the revolutionary struggle, Aaron Hankinson being the colonel. Joseph and Martha (Kirkpatrick) Linn had four sons and four daughters:
1. Alexander, born in 1753, married Hannah, daughter of Nathan and Uphamy (Wright) Armstrong.
2. David, married Sarah, daughter of Brigadier-General Aaron Hankinson, and they had eight children among whom were: Alexander, married and removed to Ohio; Mattie, married Jacob Shepherd: Polly, unmarried; Margaret, married a Mr. Shepherd; Aaron, married Eliza Hankinson, and settled in Finleyville, Pennsylvania.
3. Andrew, mentioned below.
4. Margaret, married Hon. Joseph Gaston, paymaster of the Sussex Militia, during revolutionary war days.
5. Mary.
6. Ann, married Jacob Hull.
7. Martha, married (first) Isaac Schaeffer, (second) Joseph Desmond; she died in 1830, and was buried at Sandusky, Ohio; the Rev. Isaac Desmond was her son.
8. John, married in 1791, Martha Hunt, daughter of Lieutenant Richard Hunt; children: Elizabeth, married Rev. Edward Allen; Sarah, married Nathan Armstrong Shafer; Andrew, married Isabelle Beardslee; Mary Ann, married Rev. Benjamin I. Lowe; Caroline, married Dr. Roderick Byington; Alexander, a doctor at Deckertown, married Julia Vibbert; William H., who was also a physician. The father of these children, John Linn, was appointed to the court of common pleas of Sussex County, Virginia, in 1805, serving until his death in 1823. He was twice a member of congress and died at Washington, D. C., during his second term. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church at Hardyston.

(II) Andrew, son of Joseph Linn, was born in 1759, and died in 1799. He studied medicine at Log Goal. He married Ann Carnes, of Blandensburg, Maryland, and they were the parents of five children: 1. Robert, mentioned below. 2. Margaret, married Major William T. Anderson, of Newton. 3. Mary, married David Ryerson. 4. Martha, married (first) Hugh Taylor, and (second) Richard R. Morris, of New York. 5. Alexander, settled at Easton, Pennsylvania.

(III) Robert, son of Andrew Linn, was born April 20, 1781. He probably came to Virginia from Pennsylvania about 1810, and located in what was then Harrison County, now in Marion County, West Virginia, where he died September 9, 1834. He was by occupation a farmer and miller. He married Catherine Lyon, born in Pennsylvania, October 18, 1788. He and his family resided at Linn's Mills. Children: Mary Jane, married Smith M. Hensill, and died in Portland, Oregon; Priscilla, married Newton Maxwell; Nancy, married Newton's brother, Milton Maxwell, of Butler, Pennsylvania; Sarah, married Isaac Courtney; Louisa, married Dr. John T. Cooper, of Parkersburg; Benjamin, married Sarah Shriver; and Robert, mentioned below.

(IV) Robert (2), son of Robert (1) and Catherine (Lyon) Linn, was born in Marion County, West Virginia, while it was yet within Old Virginia, December 27, 1813, and died December 7, 1860. He studied law in the office of Hon. Edgar C. Wilson, of Morgantown, Virginia, and was subsequently admitted to the bar at Pruntytown, Taylor county, in 1846; later he practiced law in Gilmer County, West Virginia. For four terms in succession he served as prosecuting attorney, having been elected on the Whig ticket, and he was serving in that office at the date of his death. He held other offices of trust and importance, in which he served with faithfulness and much ability. He was among the best known men of his section and bore the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. Mr. Linn was an elder in the Presbyterian church. He married in Fairmont, West Virginia, Sophronia S. Newcomb, born in Greenfield, Massachusetts, in 1816, daughter of Ebenezer (2) and Sophronia (Smith) Newcomb (see Newcomb VI). She was a woman of rare intelligence and refinement, and a lifelong worker in the Presbyterian church. She was only two years of age, when her family removed to Fairmont: hence her life was largely spent in what is now West Virginia, and she died in August, 1890. Children: 1. Mary S., born September 21, 1841, married Newton B. Bland, who died in March, 1896; she died January 28, 1910, leaving three children: Robert Linn Bland, now an attorney at Weston, West Virginia, who married and has four children; George Linn Bland, assistant cashier of the Citizen's National Bank of Weston; Hattie, of Weston, West Virginia. 2. Nancy Catherine Lyon, born May 3, 1845, married Marion T. Brannon, of Glenville, West Virginia; she has three living children: Hon. Linn Brannon, ex-judge of the circuit court; Alice, of Fairmont; Howard R., a bank cashier of Glenville. 3. Robert G., mentioned below.

(V) Robert G., son of Robert (2) and Sophronia (Newcomb) Linn, was born April 6, 1849, at Glenville, West Virginia (then Virginia) and was reared and educated as most youths of his time were, commencing in the common schools and later at Witherspoon Institute. When eighteen years of age, he became assistant clerk in the circuit clerk's office, at Clarksburg, where he remained three years. In 1869 he entered the Cincinnati Law School, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in 1870. His instructors at law school were Ex-Governor Hoadley, Bellamy Storer, and H. A. Morrill. After his graduation he took up law practice at Glenville, the town of his birth, where he became prosecuting attorney, serving one term. He was two years in Gilmer county, and twelve in Calhoun county, West Virginia, where he served two years as prosecuting attorney. He then returned to Glenville, in March, 1884, and remained there until 1900, being associated in law with Hon. John S. Withers. In 1900 he went to Charleston, Kanawha County, this state, where he now resides and practices his profession. He has been associated, as partner in law business in Charleston, with George Byrne, now of the Manufacturers' Record, and also with William E. R. Byrne, his present law partner, having also his son, Robert Linn, as a member of the firm. Mr. Linn maintains offices at Sutton, Weston and Glenville, this state, having partners in each locality. From 1873 to 1907, he had for a partner, Hon. John M. Hamilton, with offices at Grantsville, Calhoun County. It goes almost without saying that Mr. Linn has to do with much of the important legal business in this section of West Virginia, having so many sub-offices, the important cases pass through his hands for final investigation. Politically, he is a Democrat. In religious faith, he is of the Presbyterian Church. In fraternal connections, he is numbered among the members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Glenville.

He married at Weston, West Virginia, June 12, 1876, Mary Hamilton, who was born, reared and educated at that place. Her parents were Dr. J. M. and Mary (Lorentz) Hamilton, her mother being the daughter of John, and the granddaughter of Jacob Lorentz, of pioneer fame in this state. John Lorentz married Mary Roger; both are now deceased. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Linn, probably not in order of birth, were: 1. Ernest, died young. 2. George, died June 22, 1908, while a law student at the University of West Virginia. 3. Edna, born June 25, 1878, educated at Wilson College, Pennsylvania; taught in normal schools, is now at home. 4. Mary, born April 25, 1880, educated at the Normal School of Glenville, West Virginia, and Hollister Seminary, Roanoke. Virginia, now at home. 5. Harriet, born March 30, 1884; graduated first in high school, then from the Glenville Normal School, and later as a trained nurse at Washington, D. C. 6. Robert, born July 25. 1882, graduated at the law school of the University of West Virginia, in the class of 1906, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws; was admitted to the bar the same year, and has been associated in law business with his father, at Charleston, ever since. 7. Ruth, born October 25, 1886, is fitting herself as a trained nurse, at Washington, D. C. 8. John Hamilton, born December 6, 1892, now in high school.

(The Newcomb Line).

As above referred to, the Linn and Newcomb families are intermarried, and this fragment of the Newcomb genealogy naturally finds a place here:

(I) Francis Newcomb, born in England, 1605, came to the American colonies, 1635, with his wife, whose name was Rachel.

(II) Peter, son of Francis and Rachel Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 16, 1648; married, April, 1672, Susanna Cutting, daughter of Richard Cutting, of Watertown, Massachusetts.

(III) Jonathan, son of Peter and Susanna (Cutting) Newcomb, was born in Braintree, Massachusetts, March 1, 1685, married Deborah; and their children included Benjamin, of whom below.

(IV) Benjamin, son of Jonathan and Deborah —— Newcomb, was born at Braintree, Massachusetts, April 9, 1719, removed to Norton, Massachusetts, and died in 1801. He married, November 24, 1743, Mary, daughter of John and Mercy Everett, of Dedham.

(V) Rev. Ebenezer Newcomb, son of Benjamin and Mary (Everett) Newcomb, was born at Norton, Massachusetts, in November, 1754; he was a carpenter by trade, also a farmer and a Baptist minister. He fought in the war for national independence, being a member of Captain A. Clapp's company. He died February 13, 1829. He married Wealthy Willis, February 23, 1779, and she died May 11, 1818.

(VI) Ebenezer (2), son of the Rev. Ebenezer (1) and Wealthy (Willis) Newcomb, was born October 22, 1785; was a carpenter, and cabinet maker. He removed from Greenfield, Massachusetts, to Fairmont, Virginia, now in West Virginia, where he died in 1859. He married Sophronia Smith, born December 24, 1792. Their daughter, Sophronia, born December 6, 1816, died in August, 1890. She was a native of Deerfield, Massachusetts, came to Virginia, with her parents when two years of age; she married Robert (2) Linn and became the mother of Robert G. Linn (see Linn V).  [West Virginia and Its People, Volume 2 By Thomas Condit Miller, Hu Maxwell - Transcribed by AFOFG]

MCBANE, Angus M. L.
Angus M. L. McBane, a retired lawyer and merchant of Shawneetown, Ill., and ex-judge of Gallatin county, is justly entitled to be classed as one of the foremost citizens of the city. The McBane family is of Scotch origin, the grandfather of Judge McBane coming from Scotland in the early part of the nineteenth century and settling at Cannonsburg, Pa., where he reared a family of children. One of his sons, Dr. A. M. L. McBane, was born at Cannonsburg in 1808. He received a fine literary education, which was supplemented by a complete course in the science of medicine. After graduating from medical college he traveled extensively through Europe, and upon returning to America located at Louisville, where he soon won eminence as a physician. In 1836 he went to Parkersburg, W. Va., and practiced there until 1842, when, in company with his brother William, he came to Illinois. The two brothers bought 1,600 acres of land where Metropolis City now stands, and 600 acres on the opposite side of the Ohio river in Kentucky. Here Dr. McBane passed the remainder of his life, in the practice of his profession and in looking after his large landed and commercial interests. His death occurred July 3, 1860. In 1836, while living in Louisville, he was married to Miss Ellen Willard of that city, though a native of New York. She was of English and French extraction, her father, Rev. Joseph Willard, having been an Episcopal minister at Newark, N. J., as early as 1806. Later he came West and died at Marietta, Ohio. He was a descendant of Maj. Simon Willard, who was somewhat famous in the early history of Boston. Dr. McBane and his wife had five children, viz.: Angus M. L., the subject of this sketch; Joseph, a graduate of the New Orleans Medical college, died on shipboard while crossing the Atlantic and was buried at sea; Ellen, deceased; Marietta, widow of William Ward, living in Chicago, the mother of three children, one son, Frank, being a traveling man and secretary of the Standard club; and William A., who was a real estate and insurance man of Metropolis City at the time of his death in 1903. Angus M. L. McBane was born at Parkersburg, W. Va,, Sept. 8, 1837. He was but five years of age when his parents came to Illinois. Ever since that time he has resided in that state and has been identified with the growth and development of Massac and Gallatin counties. He obtained his early education in the schools of Metropolis City, one of his teachers being Robert G. Ingersoll, who afterward achieved a world-wide reputation as an exponent of Agnosticism. Although nominally a student at this time young McBane was really an assistant teacher, Mr. Ingersoll devoting most of his time to Latin and history, leaving the greater part of his other school work to McBane. Later Judge McBane graduated from Princeton college of New York, after which he returned home, took up the study of law under Hon, C. G. Simons and W. H. Green, and in 1860 graduated from the law department of the Kentucky State University, at Louisville. He began practice at Metropolis City, but scarcely established himself when the Civil War broke out. His desire was to enter the service of his country, but the recent death of his father made it necessary for him to remain at home to look after the large estate and to care for the family. However, he organized two companies, one in White County, Ill., and the other at Ford's Ferry, Ky., both of which were mustered into the army as part of the Forty-eighth Illinois infantry, of which he was made adjutant, but for reasons already stated he was compelled to resign the position. He accompanied Grant's forces from Paducah to Pittsburg Landing, and in the capacity of expressman for Grant's army was present at the historic battle of Shiloh. In 1864 he removed to Shawneetown, where he was elected county judge the following year and held the position for four years. In addition to his large law practice Judge McBane became interested in the mercantile affairs of Shawneetown. For several years he conducted one of the largest general stores there and was a large buyer of grain. In 1877 he practically retired from both professional and commercial life, and since then has devoted his time to the management of his large and varied investments. He was married in 1862 to Miss Mary, daughter of John D. Richeson, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. They have no children. Judge McBane is a member and past dictator in the Knights of Honor; has been president of the Business Men's association ever since it was organized in 1890; was once a candidate for state senator, and is always active in promoting the general welfare of the- community in which he lives. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Memoirs of The Lower Ohio valley: Personal and Genealogical, Volume 2 By Federal Publishing Company, 1905 Transcribed by AFOFG]

STEPHENSON, James McNeil
Mr. Stephenson, one of West Virginia's most learned lawyers, late of the city of Parkersburg, was born November 4, 1796, in Greene County, Pennsylvania. He received his education in the log school houses of the pioneer, which did not extend beyond the three R's of that early period, and for which he had to labor, early and late. He possessed more than an average intellect and an innate ambition to make a record in life. He was large of stature, and was physically able to endure the severest of hardships, and possessed the industry and energy to read and carefully digest all of the books that he could buy or borrow. His reading and study increased his ambitions. Unsatisfied with existing conditions, and thirsting for a higher grade of knowledge, he decided to become a lawyer. Whilst learning the trade of a tanner, all of his spare time was devoted to a careful study of legal text books. Many times he was found currying leather with his text books open before him. By these means, and the unsparing use of the "tallow dip," he became qualified for, and was admitted to the Bar, and commenced practicing law at Wheeling, Virginia, but shortly thereafter he located at Miudlebourne, the county seat of Tyler County. Here he practiced his profession for several years, and by close attention to his law office, and by judicious investments in real estate, he prospered beyond many of the favored of fortune. Looking for a wider field of labor he moved to Parkersburg, Wood County, and opened a more pretentious law office, and largely increased his business as an attorney.
When thirty-three years of age he married Miss Agnes M. Boreman, a member of a noted family of Wood County. They reared a family of six children, three boys and three girls. He was very fond of his family, and his home-life was beautiful and exemplary. When the Civil War broke out in 1861 he stood strenuously by the Union, notwithstanding the fact that he had a son in the Confederate Army. He was a slave-holder, or rather his slaves owned him. He bought a number, but never sold one. Notwithstanding the fact he never went to college, he was in many ways a learned man. As a lawyer, perhaps, he had no superior in West Virginia. He was remarkably successful in handling his cases. Ho accumulated a large estate, mainly by his efforts at the Bar. He was noted for his unswerving honesty and integrity. He was learned in all the branches of the law, but specialized in land laws and suits in ejectment.
He was a whig in politics, but was never a politician, nor an office-seeker. He represented Tyler County three terms in the Legislature of Virginia in 1838, '39 and '40. Subsequently he represented Wood County, a number of terms in the State Legislature. He was also a man of large public spirit. To his exertions more than to any other man or men, the construction of the railroad from Grafton to Parkersburg is due. He also organized two banks, and was also a leader in a number of other public improvements. He was foremost in his day, in every movement that was for the betterment of the community in which he lived and adorned.
He died April 12, 1877, and carried to his grave the respect of all the people with whom he associated in life. He was a benevolent man, giving much money for the good of mankind. He was a devout Christian. His death was universally mourned by the citizens of Parkersburg.
[Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

WOLFE, William Henry
Lawyer and banker of Parkersburg, W.Va., was born March 3. 1879, in Parkersburg, W.Va. He is a president of the Second National bank. [Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, Transcribed by AFOFG]







HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails