Carbon County, Wyoming
EMMET PERDUE, M. D.
The state of Wyoming has many men of promise and progressive spirit both in business and professional life who are fast making her great natural resources known to the world, and prominent among the younger men of this class in the county of Carbon is Dr. Emmet Perdue of Encampment. A native of Orrick, Ray county, Missouri, he was born on August 3, 1873, the son of H. C. and Mary E. (Ballard) Perdue, both natives of Virginia. His paternal grandfather was also a native of the Old Dominion and his wife, whose maiden name was Virginia E. Bell, was a cousin of Henry Clay and also related to the distinguished Langhorn family of Virginia. The grandfather moved from his native state in 1859 to Missouri, and resided there up to the time of his death. He sold his large Virginian plantation and turned over the entire proceeds to discharge an obligation he had incurred by indorsing for a friend during his younger days and left little property at his death. The father of Doctor Perdue remained loyal to the South during the Civil War and joined the Army of the Confederacy, being a member of Price's army and serving in Missouri. He was seriously wounded in the battle of Wilson's Creek, and was long incapacitated from service although he completely recovered from the injury and since the war has been continuously engaged in the drug business at Orrick. Mo. For two terms he served the people of Ray county as sheriff, making a faithful, efficient and courageous officer and discharging his important duties with entire satisfaction to the people of the county, earning an enviable reputation throughout the state and being one of the leading citizens of that section. Doctor Perdue received his elementary education at Richmond, Mo., and after he was graduated from the high school he became associated with his father in the drug business for a short time. Having an ambition to become a physician, he matriculated at the Marion-Sims Medical College at St. Louis, and pursued a thorough scientific and technical course of study at that institution, being graduated with the class of '96, and taking a high standing in his professional studies, and out of a class of seventy six members, he was one of the six upon whom honors were conferred. After his graduation he entered upon the practice of his profession in Jackson county in his native state. He remained here for about three years and met with success, then returned to Orrick, where he continued in practice for about one year, and then removed to Wyoming, selecting Encampment as his place of residence, and entering at once upon the practice of his chosen profession in which he has met with distinguished success and has the confidence of the entire community. His business has rapidly increased, and he has a large and lucrative practice, being examining physician for the Mutual Life Insurance Co., of New York, the New York Life Insurance Co., the Mutual Reserve Fund Life Insurance Co., of New York. The Provident Insurance Co., The Bankers' Life Insurance Co., of Des Moines, Iowa, the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co., and others. He is also physician and surgeon for the Mine and Smelter Supply Co., of Denver during the construction of the great tramway now building near Encampment, is the surgeon for the Carbon Timber Co. and owner of the Good Shepherd Hospital at Encampment, also health officer for the southern portion of Carbon county. He is progressive and well-read, keeping fully in touch with all modern methods of treating disease, and is fast coming to be recognized as one of the leading professional men of the state. On September.2, 1896, Doctor Perdue was united in marriage with Miss Ida May Tanner, a native of Ray county, Mo., and the daughter of Samuel Tanner, for many years one of the largest farmers of Ray county. To their union have been born three winsome children, namely, Helen, Theresa and Elwin Clay, (deceased), Their home life is a notably happy one and the family is held in high esteem. Doctor Perdue is affiliated in fraternal relations with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Neighbors. He is the medical examiner for both lodges and takes a deep interest in the fraternal life of the city. The Doctor is also largely interested in mining property in the vicinity of Encampment, which give promise of a fortune in the near future, and is also one of the originators and large stockholders in the irrigating company which is now constructing a large canal near that city which will irrigate over 40,000 acres of land and be of vast benefit to this section of the state. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
P. A. RALLI
One of the "foremost stockmen of the state of Wyoming, one who has had an interesting and varied experience, is P. A. Ralli, the subject of this brief sketch, whose address is now Encampment, Wyoming. He is a native of Sussex, England, although of Grecian parentage, having his birth on September 13, 1856. He is the son of A. A. and Wewra (Maurogardato) Ralli, natives of Greece. His paternal grandfather, Alexander Ralli, was a native of Scio, Greece, and was the governor of that province. He was executed by the Turks at the time of the great massacres in and around 1820, when some 20,000 Greeks were killed in cold blood by the "unspeakable Turks." His father, the great-grandfather of Ralli, had, in his day, also been murdered by the Turks. At the time of the massacre of 1820, some of the children of Governor Ralli, among them being the father of the subject of this review, escaped from the country and made their way to the city of Marseilles, France, where relatives of the family were residing. The firm of Ralli Brothers had then large mercantile and financial interests in Europe, and maintained a branch house in the city of London, England. The father, A. A. Ralli, was sent to this branch concern, and there was given a position. He remained in connection with this business for many years, later becoming a partner and a member of the firm. He continued to reside in the city of London until the close of his life, and of his thirteen children, P. A. Ralli. of this sketch, was the fourth son. He grew to manhood in England, and attended the famous school at Rugby, pursuing a thorough course of study. After his graduation from that great educational institution, he went abroad to study the foreign languages and spent about one year in visiting Greece and other countries of the continent of Europe. He returned to England, began the scientific study of agriculture and farming at his own farm in Berkshire, pursued his studies in this line for about two years, and then spent about three years in actual farming operations. At the end of that time he went to the city of London, and secured a seat on the stock exchange, in association with his father, and continued in that business for about two years, when his father died. Mr. Ralli then retired from active business, gave his time to yachting and pleasure and embarked on a trip around the world in his yacht. When he arrived at Quebec, Canada, he was persuaded to send his yacht home, and to join a hunting party going on a trip through the western states. After finishing this trip, he had such pleasant memories of it that he thereafter acquired the habit of annually coming to the West for a couple of months shooting. Becoming interested in ranching and stock raising, he finally purchased an interest in a ranch in southern Wyoming, and, in 1891. he bought the interests of his partners, thus becoming the sole owner of the property. Since that time, he has passed more or less of his time in Wyoming, giving his personal attention to his extensive stock interests, and has met with conspicuous success in this enterprise. He is the owner of one of the finest ranches in the state, having about 1,500 acres under irrigation, growing great quantities of hay, which is all consumed on the place by his stock. He makes a specialty of Shorthorn and Hereford stocks, and has crossed these breeds with great success. He is the owner of some of the most valuable animals in the western country, having one of the finest herds of the state. He usually carries about 1,000 head of cattle, selling his surplus each year, and constantly improving his herd in quality, rather than in numbers. In February, 1896, Mr. Ralli was united in marriage to Mrs. Broadbent, a native of England. They pass a considerable portion of their time in England, visiting their ranch and other Wyoming proper-ties only at intervals. Mr. Ralli is one of the representative cattlemen of the western country, and is held in high esteem by all classes of his fellow citizens. He has done much to develop the resources of this section of the state, and to draw the attention of capital to the advantages of investment here, being a valued land-owner of the commonwealth of Wyoming. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
SPENCER EUGENE PHELPS
One of the rising lawyers and mining men of Carbon county, Wyoming, and one who is doing much to develop the resources of this section of the state, is Spencer Eugene Phelps, whose address is Encampment. A native of Iowa, he was born at McGregor, on January 14, 1870, the son of Moses L. Phelps and Emeline E. Phelps, the former a native of Maine and the latter of Ohio. His father removed his residence in early life from Maine to Wisconsin and there engaged in lumbering, but subsequently removing to Iowa, where he continued in the same pursuit. He made his home in the latter state for a number of years and was successful in his business operations, but having an opportunity to dispose of his business and property in Iowa to good advantage, he did so and removed to Nebraska, where he again engaged in the same business, and again met with success. Some years ago he retired from active life and is now residing in Nebraska, enjoying the ease and comfort so well earned by his long life of activity and success. Spencer E. Phelps grew to manhood in Iowa, his native state, and acquired his early academic education in the schools of McGregor, which he attended until he had attained to the age of twelve years. He then attended the high school at Randalia, Iowa, for a number of years, after which he entered the Gibbon Collegiate Institute at Gibbon, Neb., and pursued a thorough course of preparatory study at that institution and being graduated in the class of '89. He then matriculated at the Wesleyan University of Nebraska, took a full course at that leading institution of learning, and was graduated there from with the class of 1894. Desiring to thoroughly prepare himself for his chosen profession of the law, he then went to Chicago, where he entered the law department of the Lake Forest University and, completing the full two years' course in one year, was graduated in 1895, being then admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the state. Returning to the city of Shelton, Neb., he was there admitted to the Nebraska bar and entered upon the practice of his profession. He remained here, engaged in a successful legal practice for five years and by that time he had acquired mining interests in Wyoming which promised so well that he disposed of his business and property in Shelton and removed to Wyoming, where he established himself at the city of Encampment, one of the growing mining and commercial centers of southern Wyoming, and in March, 1900. opened a law office at that place. His mining interests, however, required so much of his time and attention that he associated with himself in his legal business, Charles E. Winter, formerly an attorney of Omaha, Neb., under the firm name of Phelps & Winter. The firm does a large and successful business and are among the leading attorneys of that section of the state. On October 7, 1807, Phelps was united in marriage, at Sioux Falls, South Dakota, with Miss Hermae Sterrett, a daughter of Alonzo H. and Amelia Sterrett, natives of Pennsylvania, and now highly respected residents of Sioux Falls. The domestic life of Mr. and Mrs. Phelps is a very happy one, their home being a center of a gracious and generous hospitality. Fraternally, Mr. Phelps is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and with the Order of Modern Woodmen of America, and he takes an active interest in the fraternal life of the community. His mining interests have grown to large proportions and promise to make him one of the wealthy men of that section of the state. He is the secretary and treasurer and a large stockholder of the Calumet Mining and Milling Co., which owns valuable property five miles south of Grand Encampment, about one mile east of the Kuntz-Chatterton property. He is also the secretary and treasurer of and a large stockholder in the Cooperative Mining and Milling Co., with mines located nine miles southwest of Encampment. The Elk Mountain Mining and Milling Co. is also one of his enterprises, being the secretary and treasurer of that company and largely interested in its stock. The property of this company is situated on Elk Mountain, about thirty six miles from Encampment and seventeen miles southeast of Walcott. It is now shipping ore from this property and the returns arc highly satisfactory. He also has other important interests, being one of the foremost mining men of that section and the owner of the fine building in which the office of his firm is located, the first building erected with a brick foundation in the city of Encampment. In addition to its law business, the firm of Phelps & Winter represents several of the leading fire insurance companies of the country, conducting an extensive business in that line. Mr. Phelps is one of the progressive, energetic and successful young men of southern Wyoming, doing much to develop the resources of that rich section of country and to attract the attention of outside capital. Public spirited, enterprising, yet safe and conservative, he is a business power in the community and is destined to become an important factor in the future history of that portion of Wyoming. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
The able county treasurer of Carbon county, Wyoming, was born in Richmond, Ind., on March 9, 1859, and is now just in the prime of life. His father, Thomas Pratley, was a native of London, England, and came to the United States when a young man and first located in Philadelphia, but removed to Kansas in 1870, and here he passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1873, his remains being interred at McLouth, Jefferson county. The mother of John Pratley was born in Philadelphia, Pa., and bore the maiden name of Delia Smith, she was reared and married in her native city, and is now living in McLouth county at the age of sixty-three years. John Pratley was but a lad when his parents removed to the West. The limited educational advantages of Jefferson county, Kan., a new country, was his only means of acquiring learning. When about twenty years of age he undertook the management of his own affairs, and came as far west as Colorado and Wyoming. He was employed chiefly as clerk for various business firms, until 1900 and being a good mathematician and an accountant of superior merit, as well as a stalwart Republican, he attracted the attention of his party who elected him county treasurer of Carbon county, and this is a choice no one has ever had cause to regret. Mr. Pratley united in marriage about 1887 with Miss Cora R. Batsell, a native of Kansas and a daughter of Dr. J. C. Batsell, an eminent physician of Effingham, Kan., but not with standing this lady's congenial disposition and happy married felicity, she has as yet borne to her husband no children. The energy, ability and practical knowledge of affairs that Mr. Pratley has exhibited since he has resided in Wyoming are a guarantee that the time is not very far distant when his influence will be felt for good throughout not only the immediate community in which he has his being but in remoter parts of the county and state, and the general public will appreciate even more forcibly than at present the value of his services. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
NELSON H. SCOTT
One of the leading merchants of Carbon county, Nelson H. Scott, whose address is Medicine Bow, Wyoming, is a native of the state of New York, where he was born in 1862, the son of James and Mary (Harris) Scott, natives of Scotland. His father was a carpenter, but for many years of his early life he was a sailor on the high seas, in that capacity having many thrilling experiences in and among the different countries and people of the world. Subsequently he settled in the state of New York, where he engaged in both farming and carpentering, continuing in those pursuits up to the time of his decease, which occurred in 1900, at the age of about seventy-eight years. He was a Republican in politics, a leading citizen of the community in which he maintained his home. At various times he held the office of supervisor, was also town clerk and held other positions of honor and trust in the gift of his fellow citizens. The mother of Mr. Scott passed away while he was still a small boy, being buried in the state of New York. Attaining manhood in New York Mr. Scott received his early education in the public schools of the vicinity of his boyhood's home, but at an early age he was compelled to leave school and contribute by his labor to the support of the family. Securing employment in a cheese factory, he remained in that employment for three years, when he determined to seek his fortune in the far West, and came to the territory of Wyoming. Here he located at first at Laramie City, where he remained for a short time, but not finding business conditions as favorable as he had anticipated, he left there in company with T. H. Hood, a builder and contractor and together they aided in building and practically built the entire flourishing town of Saratoga. Mr. Scott established a home here to which he took his bride. After a few years, times being dull, he procured work in different localities in Wyoming and Colorado, arriving in time at Fort Steele. Here he secured a position with Cosgriff Bros, as a carpenter, clerk and for general work. Soon after he was offered the position of manager of the merchandising establishment of his employers at Medicine Bow, which he accepted, and has since that time resided at this place, engaged in that business. He has been successful and is one of the representative men of that section of the state. He is the postmaster of Medicine Bow post office and held in high esteem by all classes of his fellow citizens. In 1893 Mr. Scott was united in marriage, at Laramie City, with Miss Lida Hood, a lady of education and culture, who had been for ten years a popular teacher in the schools of Wisconsin and Wyoming, being a native of Wisconsin and the daughter of J. M. and Mary (Seiders) Hood, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. Her father came in early life to the state of Wisconsin, where he established his permanent home, dying in 1882. He was engaged in the occupation of farming, was a man of high character and one of the most active workers in the cause of the Christian religion in the community where he resided. In the Civil War he early responded to the call of President Lincoln, enlisting as a member of the Sixth Wisconsin Battery, and served throughout the war. He participated in many of the historic engagements of that great contest, and at its close was mustered out with an honorable discharge, showing the gallant service he had rendered to his country. He was the son of S. B. and Jane (Miller) Hood, also natives of Pennsylvania, who removed to Wisconsin, and made their home there during the later years of their lives, the father being for many years one of the leading educators of that state. The mother of Mrs. Scott, who is still residing in Wisconsin, at the age of sixty-two years, is the daughter of Joseph and Eliza (Keifer) Seiders, highly respected citizens of Ohio, the former passing away in 1890 at the age of seventy-seven years, while the latter is yet living at the age of ninety years, making her home in Wisconsin. The first years of their married life were passed in their home at Saratoga, Wyo. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have had four children, Crystal died in infancy, and the youngest, Dale, dying at the age of three weeks, on September 5, 1902, and Winfield Scott. Their home is noted for its gracious and generous hospitality, the family being prominent in the social life of the different communities where they have lived. Progressive, public spirited and energetic, Mr. Scott has done much to draw the attention of capital to the great resources of this section of Wyoming and has taken a foremost part in all matters calculated to promote the interests of Carbon county, or to develop the resources of the state. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
WILLIAM L. SILL
One of the foremost mining attorneys of Wyoming, and one who has done much to develop the mining resources of the mining district adjacent to Encampment, is William L. Sill, who was born on May 18, 1870, in Wisconsin, the son of William and Elizabeth (Stowe) Sill, the former a native of the state of New York and the latter of Vermont. The father when a young man removed from New York to Wisconsin in the early fifties and established his home in the city of Neenah, where he followed the occupation of millwright and erected a number of mills in different portions of Wisconsin, of which he was a pioneer. He is still living, retired from active business, and enjoying the ease and comfort earned by him during his long and useful life in the state of his adoption. The paternal grandfather, Edward Sill, was a native of Connecticut, while the maternal grandfather, Absalom Stowe, was a native of Vermont. William L. Sill grew to man's estate in his native state and received his early education in its public schools. After completing his elementary studies, he pursued a business course at Valparaiso, Ind., and then accepted a position in the office of a lumber company at Merrill, Wis., where he remained for about three years. During this time he saved his earnings to enable him to continue his studies with a view to being admitted to the bar, and at the end of three years with the lumber company he resigned his position and, entered the law school at Valparaiso, Ind., where he pursued a thorough course of legal study, and was admitted to the bar in 1894. He then returned to Wisconsin, and engaged in legal practice at Neenah and also at Merrill, continuing in practice here until 1898, when he removed his residence to the state of Wyoming and established his home at Encampment, where he opened a law-office and has since been successfully engaged in legal practice. In connection with the practice of law he has been engaged in mining, and is now largely interested in several properties which have every indication of developing into handsome dividend paying propositions. He organized the Cascade Copper Mining Co., one of the largest properties in the district, which is already operating very successfully. The Continental Copper Mining Co. and the Gibraltar Copper Mining Co. are also corporations in which he is interested. He has made a specialty of mining law, and has met with great success in his profession, as well as in the placing of mining properties. He is looked upon as one of the rising young men of his section of the state, destined to take a prominent part in its future business and professional life. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, Modern Woodmen of America, and the Equitable Fraternal Union and takes an active interest in the fraternal life of the community in which he maintains his home. He has been largely instrumental in attracting the attention of capital to this district of Wyoming, and has done much by his enterprise and public spirit to develop the resources of his county. Always active in promoting the public welfare, and in the advocacy of measures calculated to advance the interests of the city of his residence, he has earned the respect of all who know him, and is held in high esteem by all classes of his fellow citizens. On September 16, 1902, occurred the marriage of Mr. Sill with Miss Louise Neel, of Chicago, Ill., a native of Helena, Mont., and daughter of Samuel and Lavinia (Baker) Neel a more extended mention of whom will be found on another page of this work. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
J. H. SULLIVAN
The attentive and competent yardmaster of the Union Pacific Railroad at Rawlins, Wyoming, J. H. Sullivan, is a native of Kentucky, born at Ashland, in 1858, a son of James Sullivan. His father was also born in Kentucky, and the mother, whose maiden name was Crookes, in Virginia. James Sullivan was a blacksmith by trade, and, in 1869, he removed from Kentucky to Nebraska, and thence, in 1883, to Rawlins, Wyo., where he passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1901, at the advanced age of eighty years, his wife having preceded him to the grave in 1900. James H. Sullivan received his schooling in Kentucky and Nebraska, and, at the age of fifteen years, started out in life to make his own living, commencing his career by working on the Union Pacific Railroad in Wyoming, at which labor he continued for three months, when he returned to Nebraska and clerked in a store at Lone Tree, now Central City, for two years. He then came to Rawlins, in 1875, followed braking on the Union Pacific Railroad for a few years, and then took charge of J. W. Hughes & Co.'s store in Rawlins, for six months, when he accepted the position of timekeeper for the Union Pacific, held it for a year, and was then employed as a fireman for two years, from which position he was promoted to be conductor of a freight train, and this position he held three years, and was then employed as conductor on the O. R. & N. R. R. for four years, following which he returned to Rawlins and here filled the responsible position of yardmaster for eight years. He then went to Pocatello, Idaho, and had charge of the railroad yard there for fifteen or eighteen months; he next returned to Rawlins and again accepted the position of yardmaster, which he at present holds. Mr. Sullivan is a very friendly and genial gentleman, is a Mason in high standing, a citizen of unblemished character, and, in politics, is a stalwart Republican: but he has never had any ambition toward filling public office, hi January, 1889, Mr. Sullivan married, in Oregon, with Miss Mollie Duncan, a daughter of Squire Duncan, and a native of California. This lady was most untimely called away by death, in 1894,at the early age of twenty-six years, leaving no children. Mr. Sullivan, however, has a host of warm friends left to console him in his bereavement, so that his way through life is somewhat ameliorated. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
WILLIAM J. WERNLI
One of the leading business men and property owners of the new town of Encampment, Wyoming, William J. Wernli, is also a pioneer of that enterprising place. He is a native of Wisconsin, born in the city of Oshkosh, on January 5, 1856, the son of Jacob and Anna Maria (Steiner) Wernli, both natives of Switzerland. The father came to America in 1855, and established his home in Oshkosh, where he continued to reside for a number of years, and then removed his residence to Waupaca. Here he became the capable principal of the city schools, and later being elected the county superintendent of Waupaca county. He made his home at that place for about five years and then he removed to Milwaukee, and there held the position of the principal of the public schools of the second ward of that city for two years, thereafter removing his family to Platteville, Wis., where he was elected as assistant principal of the first state normal school which was located at that place. He continued here for two years and then went to Galena, Ill., where he founded the Northwestern Normal College, of which he was the principal and manager for five years. He then disposed of his Galena property and made his home in Chicago, Ill., where he retired from professional labors and successfully engaged in the wholesale and retail book and stationery business for two years. He then sold his business to advantage, and went to Lemars, Iowa, where he purchased a section of land and engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1901. During a portion of his residence here he was principal of the city schools and also the county superintendent of public instruction. Being a man of wide information and of high standing as an educator, his services were in constant demand as a lecturer before teachers' institutes. He was highly esteemed by all classes of his fellow citizens, and was deeply mourned by a large circle of friends and relatives. He had been twice married, and left a family of thirteen children. William J. Wernli was the eldest child of the family and attained to manhood in his native state of Wisconsin and in Illinois and Iowa and receiving his education in the schools of those states remaining at home until 1879. when he became the secretary and chief bookkeeper of the Plymouth Roller Mill Co., at Lemars, Iowa. He remained in this position for ten years, then removed to Rapid City, South Dakota, and engaged in a prosperous business as a grain and produce dealer for two years, and then returned to Lemars, where he embarked in the sale of farm implements, later disposing of that business and removing to Correctionville, Iowa, after residing at Lemars for some three years, he engaged in the milling business. He was burned out one year later and lost everything. Again returning to Lemars, he engaged in real-estate and insurance until 1898, when he removed to the vicinity of Encampment, Wyo., and there occupied himself in prospecting and mining for about two years, passing through some very trying experiences and on one occasion he and his family came near perishing in a severe storm which suddenly overtook them in the mountains. In 1900, he purchased the Eairchild stock of hardware at Doggett, Wyo., and removed it to Encampment, where he erected a small building and engaged in a small way in the hardware trade. By hard work, perseverance and business enterprise he has gradually built up an excellent trade and has extended his operations until he is now the owner of one of the largest mercantile establishments in his section of the state. Originally his store building was only sixteen feet square, and he resided with his family in small apartments at the rear of his store. Now he occupies a fine store building, devoting twenty-four feet by seventy to his hardware department, and forty-eight by sixteen to his dry goods department, the second story being occupied by the Masonic order as a lodge room. He carries a large stock of merchandise, has a constantly increasing patronage and is one of the substantial merchants of his section. He is also the owner of large warehouses in connection with his mercantile business. He attributes very much of his success to his wife, who by her advice, counsel and assistance has materially aided him in all of his plans and undertakings and has been most loyally a helpmeet in the fullest sense of the word. In November, 1879. Mr. Wernli wedded with Miss Belle M. Stough, a native of Iowa and a daughter of Calvin P. Stough, a prominent business man, who was long engaged in the furniture business in Lemars, and was a leading factor in the commercial life of his city and county. Now retired from active business pursuits he is residing at Galena, Kan. To Mr. and Mrs. Wernli have been born two children, Winnie B., wife of G. E. Heber, of Imperial, Calif., and Laura M. Fraternally, Mr. Wernli is affiliated with the Freemasons as a member of the chapter at Encampment. He takes an active part in local political affairs and is the city treasurer of Encampment. Besides his other business enterprises, he is largely interested in mining, being the secretary of the Moon Anchor Copper Mining Co., and of the Rambler Mining Co., both of which give promise of being valuable properties. He is one of the foremost men of his county and is progressive and prominent in all measures calculated to benefit the city of his residence, or to develop the resources of the surrounding country. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
JOHN F. WILCOX
This gentleman is one of the leading stockmen of southern Wyoming, a pioneer of that section, and one who has seen the state grow through all the stages of frontier experience up to its present condition, and is now residing at the brisk young city of Encampment. He is a native of Council Bluffs. Iowa, his birth occurring in June, 1854, and he is the son of Hiram and Adaline (Clark) Wilcox, both natives of New York, from which state the father removed in early life to Wisconsin, where he married and established his home. Subsequently he removed to Iowa, where he engaged in successful stock raising, and was also interested in the manufacturing of boots and shoes. He had a family of four sons and one daughter. John F. Wilcox attained manhood in Iowa, and received his early education in the city of Council Bluffs. When he had reached the age of fifteen years, he left his home to make his own way in the world, going to northeastern Missouri, where he remained about one year and then removed to the then territory of Colorado, where he located at Fort Collins and secured employment as a cowboy, for the purpose of acquiring a practical knowledge of the cattle business, intending to engage in that occupation as soon as his circumstances would permit. He remained in Colorado until 1874, when he came to Wyoming and was one of the first range riders in this territory, and for many years he had numerous exciting experiences with the Indians, having not a few narrow escapes where his life was seriously imperiled. He was for a time in the employ of Abner Loomis, a large cattleman of the frontier days, now engaged in banking at Fort Collins, Colo. He subsequently held a responsible position with the Swan Land & Cattle Co., and continued in his chosen employment up to the year 1890, having the reputation of being one of the most capable and efficient cattlemen in Wyoming. In 1890 he concluded to go into business for himself, and took up a ranch on Cow Creek for that purpose. Here he met with immediate and gratifying success until 1901, when he disposed of his ranch property to advantage. At that time he was the owner of a fine ranch of over 500 acres of land, well fenced and improved, and entirely under irrigation. He made a specialty of the best grades of Shorthorn and Hereford cattle, and thoroughbred Norman-Percheron horses. At one time he was the owner of some of the most valuable animals in the state, and he is still the owner of a large band of cattle, and is counted as one of the substantial business men and property owners of the state. In January, 1883, Mr. Wilcox was united in marriage with Miss Emma Baggett, a native of England and the daughter of Amos Baggett, a large and successful stockman formerly residing on Cow Creek, Wyo., but now making his home in the city of Saratoga. Five children have come to bless their home life, namely. Belle, Adna, Amos, Frank and Mabel, all of whom are living. They have just completed a fine modern residence in. Encampment and their home is noted for the generous and gracious hospitality which they take pleasure in dispensing to their large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Wilcox has done much to assist in the development of this section of Wyoming. His great success in business has been due to his energy, ability, and unerring judgment in all matters affecting his interests and the growth of this portion of the state. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
FRANK O. WILLIAMS
One of the leading mining and stock men of Southern Wyoming, one who has borne a prominent part in the business and public life of the state, Hon. Frank O. Williams, of the city of Encampment, Carbon county, Wyo., was born in Litchfield county, Conn., on April 27, 1848, the son of Orville and Minerva (Gillette) Williams, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Connecticut. His paternal grandfather, Jesse Williams, was also a native of Massachusetts and a prominent man of that commonwealth. His maternal grandfather, named Almond Gillette, married with Miss Laura Adams, of the famous Massachusetts Adams family. His great-grandfather, Benoni Gillette, was a son of Joseph Gillette, a distinguished officer of the Revolution, who served during the entire conflict. His great-great-grandfather Adams was also in the Colonial army and bore a pan in the troublous times of that period. Frank O. Williams grew to manhood in his native state, and received his early education in the public schools of the vicinity of his boyhood's home. In 1865 the spirit of adventure led him to seek his fortune in the far West. Leaving his old home in Connecticut, he came to Kansas, where he remained until the spring of 1866, then proceeded to Denver. Soon after he left that city and came to the Laramie Plains, then on the extreme frontier of Wyoming. Here he located at one of the regular road-houses on the old overland Laramie and California trail, secured employment and was soon after placed in' charge of the business of the place. At this time the country was wholly unsettled and the Indians were very troublesome. It was necessary to go fifteen miles for wood and timber, and while carrying on the place he had many thrilling experiences and narrow escapes. For several years he led an adventurous life, and saw much western country. In 1870 he met his present partner in business, Mr. H. R. Jones, in Denver. They formed a partnership, which has continued to the present time, and came together to Wyoming. Here they first engaged in mining and prospecting, taking up the ranch which they now own and occupy as a side issue and a place for headquarters, while pursuing, their mining operations. They located and developed the Charter-Oak mine, afterwards sold for a large figure to an English syndicate. They also opened up the Bridger mines that were situated in the old Bridger pass, which they disposed of to eastern parties and they are still the owners of a large number of fine mining properties in that vicinity. While conducting their mining operations they also improved their ranch, and engaged extensively in the stock business. They are now the owners of a fine ranch, comprising about 1,500 acres, all practically under irrigation, and they grow great quantities of alfalfa and of small grains, most of which is consumed on the place by their own stock. They handle cattle and horses, dealing in thoroughbred Herefords and Norman-Percherons, and are the owners of some of the most valuable animals in that section of Wyoming. They are among the most progressive and enterprising of the stockmen of the state, and have done much to improve the breed of range cattle and draft horses. They are among the solid business men and substantial property owners of Carbon county. Mr. Williams is one of the leading men of his adopted state. At the time of the Columbian World's Exposition at Chicago, in 1892, he received the appointment of Commissioner from the state of Wyoming, and served in that capacity with credit both to himself and to the state. He also served as a member of the Territorial Legislature, and upon the admission of the state he was elected as a member of the first State Senate. Since that time he has several times been elected to the State Legislature, and has served in that body with great distinction. Many measures of useful and beneficial legislation now upon the statute books of Wyoming owe their origin to his industry and patriotic devotion to public duty. No man in the state stands higher in the estimation of the people, and the leading part which he has taken in developing the resources and laying the foundations of the state has been such as to give him a permanent-place in its history and in the gratitude of its people. Loyal to all the interests of the state, and successful, straightforward, both in private and in public life, he is held in high esteem by his fellow citizens and, if he desired to seek other public honors, might achieve any office within their gift. Progressive, enterprising, and inspired by public spirit, it is to such men as he that the West owes its rapid development from savagery to civilization. In Wyoming he has seen it progress through all the various stages from the wilderness and the barren plain, inhabited only by the Indian and the buffalo, to its present condition of civilized happiness and prosperity. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
One of the most skilled and expert blacksmiths of Rawlins, Wyoming, is Robert Wilson, who in his early, active and practical days usually held the position of foreman, but he has now virtually retired from the exertions of the trade. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1838, a son of John and Sarah (Davis) Wilson, both also natives of Yorkshire. John Wilson was born in 1810, being a son of Robert and Sarah (Fearnley) Wilson, the latter of whom was a daughter of Sergeant Fearnley of the battle of Waterloo fame. Sarah (Davis) Wilson was born in 1812 and died in 1870. John Wilson survived until 1849. He had held during nearly all his life, the very responsible position of manager of the silk mills at Boothtown, and he and his wife were firmly attached to the established Church of England and to their home. They were the parents of four children, of whom Robert is the only living representative. He acquired his education in England and there also learned his trade of blacksmith. He came to America in 1867, stopped for a short time in Montreal, Canada, and then went to Toronto, where he was employed as inspector of rolling mills for the Grand Trunk Railway for two years. After a short stay in Hamilton he came to the United States and passed one year in a navy yard in California, whence he went to Omaha, Neb., and for one year was in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad; then was employed in railroad work at Terrace for a short time, after this coming to Wyoming, where he worked at Laramie for the Union Pacific for four years. Mr. Wilson came to Rawlins, which has since been his home in 1876. For twenty-five years after his arrival he held the very responsible position of foreman, but is now so financially situated that he can live in comfort without further labor. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Cherry, daughter of Blain and Catherine Cherry, natives of Ireland who had settled in Ottawa, Canada, and were employed in farming. In politics Mr. Wilson is a Republican and quite popular with his party. He has served with great credit to himself as a justice of the peace for two terms, but he is not a chronic office-seeker. In Masonic circles Mr. Wilson is quite prominent, having held the elevated position of grand master of the order of the state of Wyoming, subordinately, he is a charter member of Rawlins Lodge, which he has served as worshipful master for four terms. He owes his present comfortable position in life entirely to his own industry, temperate habits and upright course in life: and the respect in which he is held by his fellow citizens is simply an acknowledgement of merits manifested in his every word and act. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]
Mary Jane Bloomer Morey Stimpson Richardson
My gg grandmother was named Mary Jane Bloomer, born in Mina, Chautauqua, NY in 1842, she was married three times. Her first husband, James Morey, was a civil war officer serving under US Grant. She moved to Galena Illinois prior to the Civil War where one of her Aunts lived and became a friend of the Grants and served for a time as Grant's personal secretary during the Civil War. Her husband was shot in the head, but survived. His discharge papers stated "Brain Hernia" which means his brains were hanging out of the hole in his head. He later died in an Insane Asylm in Washington DC and is buried at Arlington.
After the Civil War in 1867 Mary Jane (abandoned her insane husband) and her mother Alice Willing-Bloomer (also widowed during the Civil War) WALKED from New York to Fort Laramie with an oxcart and Mary Jane's three year old son Frank Morey, born in Ohio during the Civil War.
The ladies knew General Grant, General Rawlins, General Sheridan, etc. from the Civil War era and whom also happened to be in charge of the Transcontinental Railroad Construction. (We assume they were offered work before leaving for Wyoming on such an an epic journey into the "Wild West", can you begin to imagine the fortitude it took for two ladies with a child to do this in 1867 traveling alone in the wildrness with only their wits for protection)
They arrived at Fort Laramie and the following spring worked on the Railroad construction as cooks, starting from the newly formed town of Cheyenne west to Carbon (near present day Elk Mountain.) Mary Jane married her second husband, William Stimpson, a merchant from England, in Cheyenne in late 1868 and we find them on the 1870 census operating the Percy Station, Carbon County, Wyoming near Fort Halleck (north side of Elk Mountain) and Carbon. Her mother, Alice, was operating the Dana Station nearby.
In 1868 the next Station to the west near Fort Steel was called Benton. Benton was recorded in history as perhaps the worst of the worst "Hell on Wheels" towns along the Railroad Construction.
There was no law enforcement of any kind in this short lived town. It was esentially three large brothels and several bars. It attracted every evil character known in the west with every kind of indecency you can imagine going on. Every weekend the town was filled with drunken railroad workers, miners, professional gamblers, swindlers, and cowboys engaging in hard drinking, gambling, open prostitution, fights, gun battles, murder etc. In only four months of existence, the graveyard at Benton interred over 100 dead, most of them shootings. The residents of Percy Station (my gg grandma and husband, and ggg grandma) got fed up with the murders and cleaning up after Benton. They literally gathered up a lynch mob of people mostly from Percy and some friends from Carbon and Fort Halleck and headed to Benton armed to the teeth. The operators of Benton found out that the mob was on the way so they quickly packed up and fled to the west down the tracks. Only one brothel operator stayed to protect his establishment. When the mob arrived the operator managed to shoot one of the lynch mob before he was killed. The mob then burned the entire town to the ground.
In Oct 1868, mother Alice Willing Bloomer was on her way to Fort Halleck from Percy Station to pick up some supplies when she witnessed a band of Indians attack a freight wagon train of five men hauling ties to Percy Station. The Indians killed three of the men and two others managed to shoot their way into a ravine and escape towards Fort Halleck. The Indians drove the oxen into the lake and hamstrung them (cut the backs of their legs) and left them to bleed to death in the lake. They next took the mules and fled before reinforcements arrived from Fort Halleck. This was known as the Bloody Lake Massacre. The three killed were the first burials at the town of Carbon. My gg grandmother saved arrows from the event and they passed down through an uncle's family. Alice died four years later 01 Aug 1872 and was buried in a shallow grave surrounded by sandstone slabs stacked on top of each other on "Turtle Rock" ridge where she watched the massacre from. (Note: we are currently working with the BLM to erect a historical marker at her grave site.)
By 1873 Percy Station closed and Mary Jane and William Stimpson purchased the old Overland Trail Stage Station at "The Crossings" on the Medicine Bow River (30 years before the town of Elk Mountain formed) from which they operated a boarding house, toll bridge, supply store, and tavern. We have several stories about indian fights, renegade bandits trying to rob the store, and Mary Jane sitting on the bridge with a shotgun in order to "collect" the toll bridge charge from immigrants moving up the Overland Trail. They had a daughter in 1874 and named her Mary Alice Stimpson. In 1876 disaster again befell Mary Jane as William Stimpson died. (We don't have any record of his death other than a date in the family Bible of Mary Jane.)
Shortly after her second husband's death, the Trabing Brothers, who were just starting to build their Mercantile "empire" purchased the store at "The Crossings" from the widow Mary Jane. The Trabing Brothers "home office" was on the Transcontinental Railroad near the old town of Rock Creek, (located about 12 miles north of present day town of Rock River west of Laramie).
This was a strategic place in its day as the Trabing's could move large quantities of merchandise from the rail head over the hill to Fort Laramie, or south west to "Medicine Bow Crossings" near Fort Halleck, (the store they purchased from my gg grandma), or over the pass north to Fort Fetterman, (near present day Douglas) and up the Bozeman Trail to their newest store at "Trabing City" on Crazy Woman Creek.
August Trabing hired the widow Mary Jane Stimpson of Medicine Bow Crossings (near Fort Halleck at Elk Mountain on the Overland Trail) to manage his new Trading Post at Trabing on the Bozeman Trail. Mary Jane drove two wagon loads of supplies with her 15 year old son Frank Morey-Stimpson and 5 year old daughter, Mary Alice Stimpson. Again, with no protection and traveling alone Mary Jane headed to Fort Fetterman and on up the Bozeman Trail to the Trabing Trading Post Store on Crazy Woman Creek, arriving in good order while the store was still under construction in the fall of 1877. (Keep in mind this is just over a year after Custer, there were still plenty of renegade Indians around.)
Mary Jane Stimpson operated the Trabing Mercantile Store on Crazy Woman Creek for about 18 months from the time of its completion in early 1978 until Auguat Trabing moved the Trabing Store to its new location on Clear Creek near Fort McKinney in late 1879 where the Bozeman Trail crosses clear creek, at the urging of Chares Buell who started building the first Occidental Hotel in 1880. By virtue of inhabiting and operating the Trabing Trading Post on Crazy Woman Creek on the Bozeman Trail in early 1878 through 1879, Mary Jane Stimpson, her son Frank Morey, and daughter Mary Alice Stimpson were among the earliest civilian "inhabitants" of this area.
While in Trabing on Crazy Woman Creek, daughter Mary Alice Stimpson contracted Scarlet Fever and died in 1878. She is probably buried somewhere near the old store site. In addition, Buffalo historians recall several stories about robberies that occurred at the Trabing Store.
It is also reported from the history of the Elk Mountain area that in August of 1878, Big Nose George Parrott attempted to rob a UP train between Medicine Bow and Carbon, then shot Deputy Sheriff Robert Widdowfield and UP detective Tip Vincent. During their "escape" to Montana they robbed the Trabing Store on Crazy Woman Creek making off with fresh supplies including a horse and two barrels of whiskey. Parrots second man Charley Burris "Dutch" Charley later told this story in Montana after a night of Drinking, which was later recorded by investigators from Rawlins who traveled to Montana in search of the outlaws.
According to the 1880 census; Inhabitants in Buffalo, in the County of Carbon, State of Wyoming, enumerated to me on the 4th day of June 1880, N L Andrews; shows eight households in the new town called Buffalo, including Mary Stimpson, age 37, Boarding House operator, born in NY, and son Frank (Morey) Stimpson, age 18, born in Ohio. It appears they spent a short time in Buffalo working for August Trabing (note: in 1880 Carbon county covered central Wyoming from Colorado to Montana)
Shortly after this census was taken, Mary Jane Stimpson and her son Frank returned to the coal mining town of Carbon, near Elk Mountain, where she married my gg grandfather William Richardson, an immigrant coal miner from West Auckland, Durham, England, and the second half of her amazing story begins. Mary Jane then had three more children while she was between age 40 and 44 including my g grandfather, Thomas Darrow Richardson, and brothers Edward Richardson, and Willing Gay Richardson who wrote a book about the early Ranches in south central Wyoming. A collection of some of our family records are at the Heritage Center at UW.
There is a true family story recorded in a newspaper clipping in which Mary Jane Stimpson "physically ejected" Buffalo Bill Cody from her boarding house for drunk and disorderly conduct. This story probably occured while she was in the new town of Buffalo operating the boarding house in the 1880 census. Family oral history states that Mary Jane was unimpressed with the "loud mouth self promoting drunk". A little more investigation is needed to see where Buffao Bill Cody was at this time or if it occured at Medicine Bow at a different date.
After returning to Elk Mountain we have numerous more stories about this amazing lady including fighting off three renegade Indians and killing one in hand to hand combat at the ranch, "engineering" the irrigation for the Medicine Bow River Valley, building a post office, challenging a neighbor to a gunfight when he threatened the family, and several more.
[Written and Submitted by researcher Dwain Romsa]
Chatterton, Fenimore, lawyer, state senator, jurist, governor, was born July 21, 1860, in Oswego, N.Y. He was educated in the public schools of Washington, D.C.; and graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan. He has been county treasurer, probate judge and prosecuting attorney of Carbon County; and a member of the Wyoming state senate. In 1890-1903 he was secretary of state of Wyoming; and in 1903-04 was governor of Wyoming. For many years he has been prominent in railway building and mining in Wyoming.
["Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States", by William Herringshaw, 1909 – TK - Transcribed by a FoFG]
Chas. H. Anderson
Chas. H. Anderson, prop. and manager Rawlins opera house; legislator and wool-grower; (Rep.); b. Oct. 25, 1870, Norway; s. of O. and Margaret (Madison) Anderson; educ. pub. schls. Norway; came to U. S., 1886, and located immediately in Rawlins, Wyoming; engaged in railroad work as fireman, U. P. Ry., 1888-91, res. In Leadville, Colorado, and engaged in mining, 1891-4; returned to Rawlings, Wyo., 1895, and engaged in liquor business (wholesale and retail) until 1910; has also been engaged in wool growing for many years; built the Rawlins opera house in 1912, and has devoted his time to that since; mayor Rawlins, 1907-10; member Wyo. House of Rep., 1911-15; me.. Elks (609, Rawlins); K. of P. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Chas. B. Boyce
Chas. B. Boyce, county assessor Carbon county; (Rep.); b. Sept. 21, 1869, Visalia, California; s. of Isaac E. and Caroline K. (Wilkins) Boyce; educ. pub. Schools. And Burnet Institute, Burnet, Texas; engaged in cattle raising in Texas until 1890; taught school, Kimble county, Texas, 1888-0; located in Carbon county, Wyoming, 1891, in cattle and sheep business; clerk and bookkeeper in Baggs, Wyoming, 1896-1906: engaged in ranching and stock raising same periodp; estab. The Snake River Sentinel in Baggs, May 18, 1906; sold newspaper 1910: asst. chief clerk, Wyo. State Senate, 1907; postmaster, Baggs, Wyo., 1907-11; county assessor Carbon county, Wyo., 1911-15; re-elected, 1915-17; mem. Elks; I. O. O. F.; W. O. W.; M. W. of A. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
George E. Brimmer
George E. Brimmer, attorney; (Rep); b. April 10, 1879, Pittsfield, Mass.; s. of E. C. land Ada (Crysler) Brimmer; educ. Public schls. Pittsfield, Mass., and Hudson Falls, N. Y.; grad. (LL. B.) Columbia University, New York City, 1901; practiced law in Glen Falls, N. Y., 1901-5; located in Rawlins, Wyoming, 1905, in the general practice of law; director First National Bank of Rawlins since 1910; U. S. Court Commissioner, 1911-14; chr. Carbon County Rep. Central Committee since 1908; Of the Republican State Central Committee, 1914; city attorney, Rawlins, 1907; mem. American Bar Association; admitted to practice before U. S. Supreme Court; member Rawlins Lodge No. 5, A. F. & A. M.; Garfield Chapter, Ivanhoe Commandery, Korein Temple; No. 609, Elks, Rawlins. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Ralph N. Booth
Ralph N. Booth, merchant; mgr. and pres. Baggs Mercantile Co.; legislator; (Rep.); b. Dec. 18, 1872, Shortsville, N. Y.; s. of Sharon M. and Amelia (Norton) Booth; educ. pub. schls Shortsville; Brockport (N. Y.) Normal, 1888-9; engaged in mercantile business in Shortsville, N. Y., as clerk, 1889-1896; clerk in store at Geneseo, N. Y., 1896-1900; located at Rawlins, Wyo., 1900, as clerk, and later as asst. manager J. W. Hugus & Co. store; manager Cosgriff Bros. store, Rock River, Wyo., 1906-9; manager and president Baggs Mercantile Col. Baggs. Wyo, since 1909; postmaster, Rock River, 1906-9; postmaster, Baggs, 1909-14; mem. Wyo. H. of Rep. 1915-17; mem. Masons; I. O. O. F. Address: Baggs, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Ira B. Casteel
IRA B. CASTEEL, ranchman and stockraiser; (Rep.); b. Feb. 16, 1876, Clyde, Missouri; s. of Silas J. and Josephine (Metcalf) Casteel; educ. pub. schls. and Gem City Business college, Quincy, Ills.; asst. cashier Bank of Conception, Clyde, Missouri; located in Wyoming July 12, 1888, and engaged in stockraising and ranching; secy-treas.: Hunter, Casteel & Hunter Co., livestock and ranching; also engaged in the promotion of irrigation enterprises; mem. Masons; Elks. Address: Big Creek, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Anna Parks]
L. G. DAVIS, banker; stockgrower; breeder of thoroughbred Hereford cattle (Rep.); b. July 25, 1865, Prairie City, Ills.; s. of William K. and Maria (Deffenbaugh) Davis; educ. pub. schls. Of Pennsylvania and Kansas; res. Illinois 1865-70; in Penns., 1870-2; in Kansas, 1872-80; located in Wyoming, 1880, and rode the range in southern Wyoming until 1885; engaged in ranching on North Platte river (same location) since 1885; has been extensive interested in the breeding of pure-bred Hereford cattle since 1901; secy.-treas. Western Breeders' Assn., Denver, 1901-2; director, Saratoga, Wyo., State Bank since 1898; v-pres. Carbon State Bank, Hanna, Wyo., 1909-14; appt. captain Troop H, Torrey's Rough Riders, Spanish-American war, 1898-9; mem. First Wyoming State H. of Rep., 1890-2; sheriff Carbon county, Wyoming, 1895-8; mem. Wyo. State Senate, 1901-5; supervisor Medicine Bow National Forest, Wyo., and Colorado., 1903-7; U. S. Marshal for Wyoming, 1907-12; mem. K. of P.; Elks; mem. American Hereford Cattle Breeders' Assn. Address: Saratoga, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Anna Parks]
Willis Geo. Emerson
WILLIS GEO. EMERSON, student; author; man of affairs; born nr. Blakesburg, Iowa, March 28, 1866; s. of Rev. Stephen L. and Mary L. (Peck) Emerson; educated Knox College, Galesburg, Ill., 1886 (L. L. D., honorary degree, Northern Ohio University, 1900); married Bonnie O'Neal, June 4, 1907; admitted to bar, Iowa, 1886, removed to Kansas, 1886; engaged in banking; presidential elector, Harrison-Morton campaign from Kansas in 1888; removed to Wyoming in 1897; commissioner to Paris exposition from Wyoming, 1900; St. Louis exposition from Wyoming, 1904; vice-chairman speakers' bureau, Republican National committee, campaign, 1900; one million copies of his speech replying to Coin Harvey's "financial school," issued, as a Republican campaign document in 1900; founded the town of Encampment, Wyoming, 1897; and later promoted the North-American Copper Co., twenty million dollar concern, absorbing several subsidiary companies, including Ferris-Haggerty Copper mine and the Aerial Tramway which connected the mine with the smelter at Encampment, 16 miles away; was at that date the longest aerial tramway that had ever been constructed. The North-American Cooper Co. was financed by members of the Standard Oil crowd in Pennsylvania. Soon after the concern was in operation, the "system" proceeded to freeze out all the stockholders, including Mr. Emerson. The "system" then organized the Penn-Wyoming Copper Co. and much litigation followed. Throughout the entire legal complications, the attorneys from all angles of the case admitted, as shown by the records, that Willis Geo. Emerson's name emerged from the investigations untainted and clean as a "hound's tooth." Invited to California in 1905 by his former partner in banking business, Hon. A. H. Heber, to build towns in, and help colonize the Imperial Valley; builded the towns of Brawley, Imperial, Heber and Calexico, California; author "Winning Winds," 1885; "Fall Jason," 1889; "My Partner and I," 1892; "Buell Hampton," 1902; "The Builders," 1906; "The Smoky God," 1908 "The Treasure of Hidden Valley," 1915; also has two partially completed manuscripts, "The White Wolf," and "Shall the Woman Be Stoned," both under contract with his publishers, Forbes & Co. of Chicago, Ill. for later publication. Mr. Emerson's eulogy on Robert Burns is greatly admired by the Celts; in 1911 he delivered the Memorial address at Gettysburg, on invitation of Corporal Skelley, Post No. 9, and was elected an honorary member of the "G. A. R."; was the 47th orator to stand on the "spot" made sacred by Abraham Lincoln in his Gettysburg speech; has two sons by a former marriage, Wilbur Osgood Emerson, Los Angeles, California, and Fred Lee Emerson, Riverton, Wyoming; life member Los Angeles Athletic Club; member Samson Lodge No. 148, K. of P., Los Angeles; B. P. O. E. Lodge No. 99, Los Angeles, California; mem. Encampment Lodge 19, A. F. & A. M. Encampment, Wyoming; Apollo Commandery No. I, Chicago Ill.; Scottish Rite, Consistory No. 2, Wichita, Kansas; Shriner, Korein Temple, Rawlins, Wyoming; Loyal Order of Moose, No. 386, Los Angeles, Calif. in addition to his writings, is largely interested in land and irrigation affairs in central Wyoming; already he has builded six towns and says he may yet build one more, as he likes the magical number, "seven." Address: Encampment, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Anna Parks]
A. M. STARTZELL, stockraiser and merchant; (Rep.); b. Jan. 6, 1848, Jefferson county, Penn.; s. of Jacob and Katherine (Ware) Startzell; educ. pub. schls. Penn.; learned carpenter trade in Penn. and worked at trade until 1876; enlisted in U. S. Cavalry service, 1876-81, as member Third U. S. Cavalry, serving in all the Indian campaigns of that period; was present at the Thornburg massacre on White river, Colorado, Sept., 1879, when Major Thornburg was killed; located in Rawlins, Wyoming, 1881, and engaged in wool growing; worked continuously in that business until 1909; pres. Rawlins Mercantile Co., since 1891; v-pres. Ferris-Haggerty Mining Co., since 1895; has served as director for the First National and the Rawlins National Banks of Rawlins; mem. First Wyo. State H. of Rep., 1890-1; mem. Rawlins Lodge No. 4, I. O. O. F., Grand Master Wyoming Grand Lodge, I. O. O. F., 1897-8, Grand Representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, Baltimore and San Francisco, Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Wyoming, 1911-14; life member and Exalted Ruler, Rawlins Lodge, No. 609, Elks, 1913-14. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: "The National Newspaper Reference Book of Wyoming containing photographs and biographies of over three hundred men residents", 1915, tr. by Sandra Stutzman]
W. E. TILTON, stockgrower and ranchman; legislator; (Rep.); b. Oct. 19, 1852, Winhall, Vermont; s. of Chauncey B. and Helen M. (Clary) Tilton; educ. pub. schls. Massachusetts; H. S., South Deerfield, Mass.; student McCollom Institute, Mt. Vernon, New Hampshire; bookkeeper, South Deerfield, Mass., 1875-7; conducted mercantile business, South Deerfield, 1878-9; came to Wyoming, October, 1880; located in Cummins City (now Jelm), and engaged in mining, 1880-2; married, 1883, to Alice M. Montague (deceased 1895), (their children: Hattie A., b. July 26, 1885, and C. Royal, b. April 8, 1891), and located at present home on North Platte river, at mouth of Brush creek, Carbon county; has lived there continuously since; married, 1897, to Ellen M. Judd; justice of the peace, Bennett pct., Carbon county, 1893-4; (was member of the returning board that seated John E. Osborne in governor's chair, 1894; although he was a Republican, by voting not to disfranchise any voter, his vote turned the state to the Democratic party); mem. Wyo. H. of Rep., 1911-15; mem. 32 deg. Mason, Wyoming Consistory No. 1, Shriner, Korein Temple, Rawlins, mem. Saratoga Lodge since July 1894. Address: Saratoga, Wyoming. [Source: "The National Newspaper Reference Book of Wyoming containing photographs and biographies of over three hundred men residents", 1915, tr. by Sandra Stutzman]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails