Carbon County, Wyoming
Biographies

Hon. JOHN H. ABBOT
One of the leading commercial men and merchants of Carbon county, a resident of Hanna, Wyoming, John H. Abbot was born in Massachusetts, having been born in 1855, the son of Ezra and Caroline (Lincoln) Abbot, both natives of that state. His father, a native of Essex county, Mass., was born in 1807 and was graduated from the medical school of Harvard University, and practiced his profession at the town of Canton, Mass., attaining a high reputation and standing, until his death in 1871. He was the son of Ezra Abbot and his mother's maiden name was Hannah Poor, a member of the well-known family of Massachusetts. The Abbot family resided on land originally granted to a great-great grandfather of the subject of this review by George III, and he took an active part in the colonial life of the old commonwealth. The mother of John H. Abbot was born in 1837 and passed away from earth in 1879, being the mother of four children, of whom he was the second. She was the daughter of Abraham and Martha (Howard) Lincoln, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Maine. Her father early made his home in Bath, Maine, and one of his sons, Frederick Lincoln, was at one time mayor of Boston. John H. Abbot grew to manhood in Massachusetts and received his early education in the public schools, after which he pursued a course of study in pharmacy and was graduated in 1876, then removing to Omaha, Neb., where he obtained a position in a drug store and remained in this employment for about three years, thence removing to Osceola, where he engaged in the drug business for about two years. He then sold out the drug store for the purpose of engaging in merchandising in the western portion of the state. He continued in that business for about fourteen years, then disposed of his interests and property in Nebraska, and removed to Wyoming, where he established himself at Hanna, Carbon county, where he was first a clerk in the Union Pacific Railway Company's general store, and was soon appointed as manager of the local business, in which capacity he has continued since that time. He has been successful, and is ranked as one of the leading merchants of this section of this state. In 1885 Mr. Abbot was united in marriage with Miss Jessie Gunnell, a native of Illinois, and the daughter of O. and Harriet (Mitchell) Gunnell, well-known and highly respected citizens of Illinois, who subsequently removed to Nebraska, where the father was for many years one of the representative business men of his section, but is now retired from active business, and residing at Osceola, Neb. To Mr. and Mrs. Abbot have been born four children, Amy G., Harriet M., George and John, all now living except John, who died in 1894, Mr. Abbot is a stanch member of the Republican party, one of the trusted of the leaders of that political organization in Carbon county. Popular, progressive,and highly esteemed by all classes of his fellow citizens, he might, if he so desired, be the recipient of public honors in the state. He is one of the most valued citizens of the community in which he maintains his home. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]



EDWIN S. DRURY
The founder, editor and one of the proprietors of the Grand Encampment Herald, one of the leading newspapers of southern Wyoming, Edwin S. Drury, is a native of Tabor, Fremont county, Iowa. He was born on February 23, 1872, the son of C. J. and Mary (Dunham) Drury, both natives of Michigan. His paternal grandfather, Charles Drury, was a native of the state of New York, removing from that state many years ago to Michigan, where he was one of the earliest pioneers, and long engaged in agricultural pursuits. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Drury was also born in New York and removed from that state to Michigan, where he spent the latter days of his life, being a prominent minister of the Baptist faith. The father of our subject in 1861 answered to the call of President Lincoln for troops to defend the integrity of the Union, and enlisted as a member of the Seventeenth Michigan Regiment and was in service for some time, but was compelled to retire from active service on account o: illness for a considerable time. Upon his recovery he again enlisted and continued in the military service up to the close of the Civil War. Upon being mustered out of the army he determined to seek his fortune in the far West, and removed his residence to California, where he remained for about three years, engaged in prosperous farming, stock raising and mining. He then returned to Michigan and later removed his home to Iowa. During his residence in Michigan he ably served the people of his county in the office of sheriff, discharging the responsible duties of that position with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He was for many years one of the representative men of the section of the state where he maintained his home. Edwin S. Drury was the first son of a family of six children, and grew to man's estate in Michigan, receiving his elementary education in the public schools of Cass County. He early learned the printers' trade and at the age of eighteen years went into business for himself at Lawton, Mich., where he began the publication of the newspaper known as The Lawton Leader. In this enterprise he met with success, due to the energy and industry with which he conducted the business. Subsequently he successfully passed the civil service examination for employment in the service of the United States government and was assigned to the Bureau of Printing at Washington, D. C, where he remained but a few months owing to the failure of his health through malaria, and he resigned his position and removed to Wyoming, where he selected the new town of Encampment as a desirable location for a newspaper. This was in the fall of 1897, when there were but three buildings in the place, but he was satisfied with its prospects, and returning to Michigan he closed up his business interests in that state and in the spring of 1898 made his home at Encampment, where he associated himself in business with his brother, W. C. Drury, and they began the publication of the Grand Encampment Herald. They have been very successful, and are now the owners of one of the best equipped printing plants in Wyoming, and their publication is recognized as the leading newspaper of that section of the state. On November 29, 1893, Mr. Drury was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Root, a native of Michigan, and the daughter of D. T. Root, a highly respected citizen and horticulturist of that state. Fraternally Mr. Drury is affiliated with the Freemasons and also with the Modern Woodmen of America, and takes an active interest in the social and fraternal life of the community. Politically he is a stanch member of the Republican party, recognized as one of the trusted local leaders of that political organization. In 1898 he received the appointment of postmaster of Encampment, and upon the expiration of his term of office was reappointed for another term of four years. His administration has given satisfaction to the business men of the community, as well as to the public generally. Mr. Drury is largely interested in mining enterprises in and about Encampment, was the organizer of the Coldwater Copper Mining Co., which is the owner of the six valuable Wolverine claims located at Pearl, Colo., which promise to develop into one of the great mines of that state. He is the vice-president and manager of this company, and has successfully conducted its operations, and he also holds the same position in the Kalamazoo Mining Co., which owns property adjoining that of the Coldwater Co. As a newspaper man and editor, Mr. Drury enjoys a well-merited reputation, and his publishing establishment is supplied with, all modern improvements and appliances for the publication of a live and up-to-date newspaper. Progressive, enterprising and ever foremost in the advocacy of all measures calculated to be of advantage to the general public, he is a powerful factor in the development of this section of his adopted state. He has done much, both personally and through the Herald, to attract the attention of outside capital to the great resources of Carbon county, and to bring about the further settlement of the country in the vicinity of the city of his residence. He is one of the rising men of Wyoming, and destined to take a prominent place in its future history. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]


MARK EDWARDS
One of the leading sheep men and woolgrowers of Carbon county, Wyoming, Mark Edwards, whose address is Medicine Bow, is a native of England, where he was born in Dorsetshire, in 1855, the son of Job and Ann (Shirley) Edwards, both natives of that country. His father was a merchant tailor in England, where he remained engaged in that pursuit up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1901. His mother was a woman of great strength of character, was the parent of thirteen children, and passed away from earth in 1883 in England. Mark Edwards grew to manhood in his native country, received his early education in the public schools in the vicinity of his early home, and, after he had completed his education, he engaged in farming, and continued in that occupation until 1880. He then determined to seek his fortune in the New World, and, disposing of his property in England, he sailed away to America. Upon his arrival in this country he proceeded to the state of Illinois, where he established his home and engaged in farming for two years, then disposing of his farm in that state 'to advantage, he removed to the state of Kansas. He continued in the same business in the latter state for a number of years, and, in 1890, came to Wyoming. where he engaged in the sheep and woolgrowing industry, in which he has since remained, meeting with conspicuous success. He is one of the progressive and prosperous stockmen of that section of the state, counted as one of the solid business men and substantial property owners of Carbon county. The first wife of Mr. Edwards was before her marriage Miss Emma Duffet, and she died in 1890, leaving one son, George Edwards, who is still living. In 1899 Mr. Edwards again married, this wife's maiden name being Jessie Sabin, a daughter of William and Addie (Walter) Sabin, both natives of Ohio. Her father died in 1898, at the age of fifty years, being the son of William Sabin, a native of the state of New York, who removed from his native state to the state of Ohio in early life. Her mother was a daughter of John and Mary (Cooper) Walter, both natives of Ohio. The former was a native of the state of New Jersey, who in early life removed to Ohio. The latter was born in 1823, a daughter of John Cooper, a native of New Jersey. He was also the son of John Cooper, who was a soldier of Colonial times, an active participant in the War of the Revolution. Mr. Edwards is one of the representative stockmen of Wyoming, held in high esteem by all classes of his fellow citizens. His success in business has been due to his own persistent and unaided efforts, his industry, energy and frugality and his careful attention to all the details of his enterprise. He has done much to develop the resources of Carbon county, and to promote the best interests of the community where he resides. He is one of the most valued citizens of that section of Wyoming. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]



HARRY BURT JENNINGS
The gentleman whose name opens this biography, although young in years, has attained considerable prominence in Carbon county, Wyoming, where he is now serving as county clerk, having been elected in 1901 on the Republican ticket. He was born in 1872 at Rising Sun, Polk county, Iowa, and is a son of James B. and Mary L. (Raybuck) Jennings. James B. Jennings was born in Green county. Pa., in 1840, and served an apprenticeship at blacksmithing, and worked at that trade until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted in the Fifth Pennsylvania Cavalry, in which he was appointed first sergeant. He served with undisputed bravery and commendable devotion to duty until captured by the enemy and confined in Libby Prison at Richmond, Va., until released in 1863. He was mustered out in 1865 with the rank of brevet-lieutenant, in recognition of valiant conduct on the field. After the close of his war services Mr. Jennings came to Wyoming as quartermaster for the Indians at Bryan's Station, where he remained until 1881 ; then he went to Rock Springs, Sweetwater county, for a short time and in 1882 came to Rawlins. He is now engaged in active mining operations at Grand Encampment, which he is prosecuting with his usual energy, untiring vigor and satisfactory results. He is a strong Republican in politics, has served his party one term (1895) in the Wyoming legislature and is very popular throughout Carbon county. Mrs. Mary L. (Raybuck) Jennings, the mother of Harry Burt Jennings, was born in Washington county, Pa., in 1840, and is a daughter of John P. and Mary L. (Harmon) Raybuck. She was reared, educated and married in her native state and in early womanhood was a prominent teacher. After coming to Wyoming she served several years as school superintendent for Carbon county when it comprised all the territory extending from Colorado to Montana, and was probably one of the most intellectual women of the far West. Harry Burt Jennings was graduated from the Lincoln Business College in June, 1888, and almost immediately afterwards entered the office of the Union Pacific Railroad at Rawlins as messenger, and from this humble position was promoted regularly to ticket agent, his promotions being earned through attention to duty and personal merit. So satisfactory were his services that he was retained in the employ of the company for ten years, and he left only to enter upon the field of politics and public life, which his growing popularity had made peculiarly alluring and tempting. The first public position held by him was that of doorkeeper of the Wyoming senate. This position he relinquished to become secretary for J. W. Hugus & Co. at Rawlins, which he satisfactorily filled for six years. He next served for two years, to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned, as city clerk of Rawlins and in 1901 he was elected on the Republican ticket county clerk of Carbon county—the position he still so ably fills. H. B. Jennings was most happily united in marriage on June 21, 1894, with Miss Ethel Maxfield, the accomplished daughter of C. W. Maxfield, the present county commissioner of Carbon county. To this felicitations union have been born two children, Richard and Estella. Mr. Jennings has been very fortunate since coming to Carbon county, but this is chiefly owing to his personal merits and close attention to the interests of those by whom he has been employed, and to the able manner in which he has performed the duties pertaining to the various positions he has filled, backed by unswerving integrity. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]


JOHN SHAW
The subject of this brief sketch is one of the successful business men of Carbon county, Wyo. He is a native of England, born in that country on May 10, 1838, the son of John and Ann (Muller) Shaw, natives of that country. The father followed the occupation of mining and farming, continuing in those pursuits in England up to the time of his demise, which occurred when he had attained the age of seventy-five years. His father was also named John, that being a favorite name in the family, and was a native of England. The mother is still living and continues yet to make her home in England. John Shaw, of this review, grew to manhood in his native country, received his education in the public schools in the vicinity of his boyhood's home, was compelled by circumstances to leave school at an early age to assist in the support of the family and began work as a coal miner, continuing in this pursuit up to 1866, when he determined to seek his fortune in the New World. Disposing of his property in his native country, he bade farewell to the scenes of his childhood and early manhood, set forth for America, where upon his arrival he located in Pennsylvania, and there engaged in the business of mining, securing employment for three years, and in 1869, returned to England. Remaining there until 1874, the desire to again tempt fortune in America became strong in him and he sold his property in England and came to the United States. This time he went to the Lake Superior region, secured employment in the mines, at which he continued for eleven years, then accepted a position on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, which he held for three years. He then resigned that position and went to Illinois, where he again engaged in mining for about one year, then removed to Iowa, where he made his residence during the following two years. He then concluded to go still farther west, and came to Douglas, Wyo. Here he continued in his former business of mining, and held to that pursuit until the year 1900. He then removed to Hanna, in Carbon county, where he embarked in the livery business in which he is still engaged. He is also interested in ranching and cattle raising in Carbon county. and a prosperous and progressive man of business, he is held in high esteem by all who know him, and his many sterling traits of character have won for him an enviable position in the community where he resides. In 1874 Mr. Shaw was united in marriage with Miss Mary Boswell, in England. She was a native of the same country, a woman of noble character, who was a true helpmeet to her husband during the period of their married life. She died during their residence in the state of Michigan, where she was buried. Mr. Shaw is one of the representative men of Carbon county, having done much to promote the interest and develop the resources of that section of Wyoming. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]



WILLIAM J. SMITH
This ex-Union soldier and veteran of the late Civil War, but now a resident of Rawlins, Carbon county, Wyoming, was born in New York City, in 1844, and is a son of William and Bridget (Rivardan) Smith, both of whom were born in Ireland. William and his wife were on a visit to America when their son, William J., whose name opens this biography, first saw the light, but these parents returned to Ireland in 1848, where they passed the remainder of their earthly existence. In 1857, at the early age of thirteen years, W. J. Smith started out in life on his own account, by apprenticing himself to the baker's trade, of which he became a thorough master, and continued to follow it in New York City until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted in Co. A, Eighteenth New York Infantry, and served as a valiant and dutiful soldier for four long years, taking part in all the marches, skirmishes and engagements in which his regiment had a share, and proving himself to be a warrior of superior mettle, winning also for himself the esteem of his superior officers and the love and applause of his comrades in arms, as well as the gratitude of the nation. After the close of the war Mr. Smith drifted from New Orleans to Lyon City, Wyo., where he followed his trade for eighteen years, establishing an excellent trade and acquiring a fine reputation for the superiority of his output. In 1872 Mr. Smith came to Rawlins and established a neat bakery on Front street, which has continued to prosper as the years have passed along. As a citizen, Mr. Smith has attained a popularity that is also greatly to his credit and he is now filling the office of justice of the peace, to which he was first elected as a Democrat many years ago. The marriage of W. J. Smith took place in 1876 to Miss Margaret Sheehan, who is also of Irish extraction, and of the nine children who have blessed this union eight are still living, Maggie, William, Henry, Mamie, Madge, Nellie, Kate and Joe, John being deceased. This family stands very high in the esteem of the community of Rawlins, and Mr. Smith is ever ready with what means he has at his command to contribute to the improvement of Rawlins and its surroundings, but is never an advocate of over-taxation. His character for integrity is unblemished ; his industry is a matter of comment with the people, his proficiency in the manufacture of bread is always recognized as something surprising. The problem of the making of the best and most wholesome bread at the minimum cost has been long a puzzle with the manufacturers of the staff of life, but Mr. Smith seems to have solved it. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]



FREDERICK G. WOLF
One of the pioneer citizens of Wyoming and the proprietor of the leading hotel of Carbon county is Hon. Frederick G. Wolf, of Saratoga. He is a native of Germany, born in the old state of Württemberg, on December 27, 1845, the son of Frederick G. and Margaret (Nebelmesser) Wolf, both natives of Württemberg, and well-known and prominent residents, his father being the burgomaster of the city for eighteen years and also being the revenue officer of the German government and for many years the leading citizen of his district. His father, Frederick G. Wolf, was also prominent and long followed the occupation of wine gardening. Of a family of ten children, the subject of this review was the eldest son. He grew to man's estate in his native city, and acquired his early education in its public schools. When he had completed his school life, he was entered as an apprentice to the trade of a gardener, continuing in this employment until he had attained twenty years, when he was drawn into the German army for a period of six years, and in this service in 1866 he took part in the war between Austria and Southern Germany against both Prussia and Italy, and participated in the battle of Tauler Bishopsheim, in which he was severely wounded, being badly shot in one of his legs and compelled to remain in hospital for eight weeks before he was able to rejoin his regiment. After returning to active service he took part in the battle of Wurzburg and was later in the battle of Ashaffinburg. In the latter engagement he was the leader of a patrol and was surprised and attacked by a larger force of the enemy, and during the conflict which followed one of his men was shot and captured, and Mr. Wolf received a lance wound in the hip and it was only by shooting his assailant that he was enabled to save his life and to escape to the camp of his regiment which was two miles away. The wound he received proved a serious one, upon reaching his camp his boot was full of blood, and he was again confined in hospital for two months. Upon his recovery he returned to his home, peace having been declared. He continued in the army until 1869, when his term of service expired and he determined to seek his fortune in the New World. Arriving in the city of New York on December 31, 1869, he came direct to Indiana and located at Michigan City in the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad, where he remained until 1873. He then resigned his position and removed to Rawlins in the territory of Wyoming. Here he became a foreman on the Union Pacific Railroad and was continued in that position until 1876, when he opened a wholesale and retail liquor store in the city of Rawlins, Wyo., continuing successfully engaged in that business until the spring of 1882. He then disposed of his business and property in Rawlins and removed to the Platte Valley, where he was engaged in the cattle business until 1887 and during this time he had frequent difficulties with the Indians, who were troublesome and caused him some losses by reason of their thieving propensities, but he had no more serious difficulty with them than the loss of some stock. As he suffered severely from rheumatism, he was compelled to retire from the cattle business, and went to Saratoga for the purpose of trying the waters of the hot springs there for his trouble, soon opening a liquor store at that place and conducting it up to 1892. He then disposed of this business to good advantage, and going to Cheyenne during the session of the Legislature, he was elected sergeant-at-arms of the House of Representatives, serving in that capacity until the close of the session. Upon his return to Saratoga he erected his present large brick hotel and engaged in the hotel business. In this he has been very successful and has steadily increased his accommodations and added to his facilities, until he has today the very best accommodations for 160 guests, and is here already carrying on a large and remunerative business, for his great enterprise, public spirit and genuine popularity have given his place a wide reputation among the traveling public, as well as among the people of the vicinity, and his hotel is the most popular resort in his section of the state. In January, 1869, Mr. Wolf was united in marriage with Miss Christiana Waldeman, a native of Württemberg, Germany, where her parents were well- known and highly respected citizens. To this marriage have been born four children. Carrie, now Mrs. Alexander Münz of Petersburg, Colo., where her husband is engaged in real estate operations ; Freddie, now Mrs. A. J. Doggett of Denver, Colo. ; Frederick W. (deceased) ; Henrietta, still at the parental home. The son, Frederick W. Wolf, a young man of great promise and held in the highest esteem in the community, was accidentally drowned in July, 1901, while bathing in the Platte River, and his unfortunate death was mourned as a public calamity. He was one of the leading young men of his section of the state, and at the time of the breaking out of the Spanish-American War was the first to enlist in the local company raised for Torrey's regiment of Rough Riders. After being mustered out of the service he had returned to Saratoga, and was connected in the hotel business with his father up to the time of his death. His funeral was conducted by the Knights of Pythias of Saratoga, of which he was vice-chancellor. Mr. Wolf is one of the leading citizens of his section of the state, and has done much to develop its resources and build up its industries, always taking a foremost part in the promotion of every enterprise which is calculated to benefit the public and contributing of his time and means to all worthy measures for the good of the community, he stands high in the respect of his neighbors and of all the people of that portion of Wyoming. He has been very successful and is counted one of the solid business men and substantial property owners of Carbon county. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Janice Rice]

HENRY D. ASHLEY
Among the leading business men of the city of Encampment, Wyoming, Henry D. Ashley is one whose enterprise and public spirit have done much to build up that young city. He was born at Acushnet, Bristol county, Mass., on May 3, 1862, the son of Calvin and Rebecca (Davis) Ashley, both natives of that state. His father was born at Lakeville, Mass., and early established his home at Acushnet, where he engaged in farming and was also interested to quite an extent in the whale fisheries, his home being adjacent to New Bedford, formerly the great center of that industry in America, and he remained there until his death in 1868. He left a family of six sons and four daughters and after the death of his father, Henry D. Ashley removed with the other members of the family to Taunton in the same state, where he grew to manhood, received his early education in the public schools and learned the trade of wood-turning, at which he was employed in Taunton until 1890 when he removed to Iowa, where he located at Sioux City, and continued to work at his former occupation for about four years. At the end of that time he removed to Des Moines and engaged in the bakery business for two years, when he sold out and came west to Colorado Springs, Colo. He made his home at this place for about one year and in January, 1898, came to Encampment, Wyo., where he has since made his home, being one of the pioneers of the place, then in its infancy. From his first arrival here he has been uniformly successful in business. He first engaged in conducting a lodging house and continued successfully in that pursuit up to the spring of 1902. In 1901 he engaged in the real estate and insurance business, associating himself in business with Mr. Leo Davis under the firm name of Davis & Ashley, the former attending to the mining brokerage department and the latter giving special attention to insurance and real estate. On May 3, 1884, Mr. Ashley was united in marriage at Taunton, Mass., with Miss Minnie F. Moxon, a native of Massachusetts, and the daughter of Frederick and Emma A. Moxon, well-known and respected citizens of Taunton. Her father was a native of England who came to America in 1850, and established his home in the city of Taunton. Mr. and Mrs. Ashley are the parents of two children, namely: Jennie M. and Carleton H., both of whom are still living, and their home is one of the most hospitable in the city of Encampment. Mr.. Ashley is largely interested in the Vulcan Copper Mining Co., of which he is vice-president. This company has valuable mining claims situated within a few hundred feet of the celebrated Ferris-Haggaily copper property, and gives promise of being equally valuable. He is also the secretary of the Grant Copper Mining Co., located at Pearl, Colo. He is the representative of several of the leading insurance companies, among others the Liverpool, London & Globe, the Providence Washington Insurance Co., the Phoenix Insurance Co., of Hartford, Conn., the Niagara Insurance Co., of New York, and the Fire Association of Philadelphia. Although engaged in business but a short time he has won the confidence of the business community by his energy, industry and attention to all the details of his business, and he has been steadily adding to it from month to month. He is one of the leading business men of the locality and has done much to build up the new city of Encampment. He was a member of its first city government and was reelected in 1902. He is also a member of the school board and prominent in all matters that affect the public welfare or promote the general good of the community.
[Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

CHARLES E. BLYDENBURGH
Charles Edward Blydenburgh, the leading attorney at law at Rawlins, was born on March 19, 1854, in Brooklyn, N. Y., the son of Benjamin Brewster Blydenburgh, merchant, and his wife, Mary (Brower) Blydenburgh, a daughter of John H. Brower, Esq. The founder of the Blydenburgh family in the United States was named Augustine Blydenburgh, who, with his wife Silvestia, settled in what is now New York City in 1676 and there died in 1686, being the father of five children, Joseph, William, Benjamin, Samuel and Mary, wife of Harmon King. Of these children. Joseph in 1693 bought of Thomas Lloyd, of Philadelphia, the property in New York on which now stands Trinity church. In 1697 he equipped ten or twelve mariners for an expedition under Captain Kidd of the ship Adventurer, with a general roving commission as privateers. From Joseph and his first wife descended a daughter, Silvestia. and a son Richard, who, born in 1694, died in 1772, married Mary Brewster, born in 1708 and died in 1767. They had six children, William, Benjamin, Mary (or Mollie), Alma (or Amy), Samuel and John. Benjamin Blydenburgh, son of Richard, was born in 1730 and died in 1775. For his first wife he married Ruth Norton, and to this union two children were born, Mollie (or Mary) and Almy (or Amy), by his second wife, Ruth Smith, five children were born, Ruth, Betsy, Richard, Benjamin and Isaac. Isaac (or Isaiah) Blydenburgh, son of Benjamin, was born in 1775 and died in 1858. He first married Susannah Smith, daughter of Ebenezer Smith, who bore him Ebenezer S., Richard, Elizabeth, Isaac and Ruth. Richard Blydenburgh, son of Isaiah (or Isaac), born in 1798 and died in 1873, first married Ruth Smith, daughter of Judge Joshua Smith, to which union were born Benjamin Brewster, Robert S., Charles Edward and Alma Amelia. His second marriage was with Charlotte Mills, who was born in 1802 and died in 1856, and of this marriage was born one child, Hannah Mills. By the third marriage of Richard to Hannah Green there was no issue. Benjamin Brewster Blydenburgh, son of the above mentioned Richard, was born in 1821 and died in 1892. He married Mary D. Brower, a daughter of John H. Brower, who was born in 1824 and died in 1867, the mother of the following children, John Brower, Amelia, Ann Brower, Charles Edward, Harry Duryee, Benjamin Brewster and Morgan Brower. Charles E. Blydenburgh, son of Benjamin B. and Mary D. (Brower) Blydenburgh. was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., on March 19, 1854, and was educated at private and boarding schools, the academic department of Princeton College, class of 1874, Columbia University School of Mines, where, in 1878. he received the degree of C. M., having attained at Princeton in 1877 that of A. M. He early manifested great interest and skill in the use of arms, was a member of the celebrated International Rifle Team of 1876 and 1877, making the best score in the great international match at Creedmoor in 1877. His has been an eminently active life, the confines of this review only affording space for the barest outline of his many activities and official stations. He came to Wyoming in the summer of 1878 to take charge, with J. G. Murphy, of the Territorial Assay Office at Rawlins and also to practice mining engineering. Thereafter he was engaged in cattle raising, the publishing business and in prospecting for minerals until May, 1889, when, being admitted to the practice of law in the courts of Wyoming he opened a law-office at Rawlins, in the business thereto accruing devoting his attention to the present writing. In 1881 and 1882 he was the very efficient county superintendent of schools of Carbon county, in 1888 was sent to the Legislature as a Democrat to represent the people, in 1897 he was the county and prosecuting attorney of Carbon county, was a member of and the presiding officer of the city council of Rawlins in 1892, 1893 and 1894, has been the city attorney of Rawlins for several terms and is at the present writing in the incumbency of the office. He ran as the Democratic candidate for justice of the Supreme Court of Wyoming in 1898, was the chairman of the Democratic State Central Committee in 1896 and 1897, was a member of the State Board of Law Examiners in 1899 and 1900, holding now that position. In 1900 he was a delegate from Wyoming to the National Democratic Convention held at Kansas City, and was the Wyoming member of the committee on resolutions. He is also financially interested in and the secretary and treasurer of the Jack Creek Land and Cattle Co., extensively operating in a ranching and a cattle and sheep industry. A Knight of Pythias since 1880, Mr. Blydenburgh has been a past chancellor in the order since that year and has held all of the offices of the subordinate lodge. He was a charter member of Rawlins Lodge, No. 609, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, at its organization in August, 1900, being at this writing its exalted ruler. His religious associations have been with the Presbyterian church, with which he formerly affiliated. At Rawlins, Wyo., on June 21, 1894, Mr. Blydenburgh wedded Miss Isabel Cannon, a daughter of Thomas Cannon, and a lady of brilliancy and education, whose accomplishments have made the marriage union a highly felicitous one, dispensing as she does in the attractive home a hospitality as generous as it is cultured and refined. The children gracing the household are named Elener Mary, who was born on May 27, 1895; Annabel Brower, born on September 23, 1896; an unnamed daughter, born on December 13, 1897, died at four weeks of age; Charles Edward, Jr., born August 30, 1899. The facts recorded in this brief review clearly show that Mr. Blydenburgh possesses a well-defined and symmetrical character, the persistent force of his strong individuality causing him to accomplish every task his varied and complex official duties present to him, his scholastic acquirements and mental abilities placing him in the front rank of civil, social, business and domestic existence, while his upright manner of life entitles him to commendation. His life in all departments has been dignified by a strict conformity to the highest standard of ethics and his broad and genial nature has won for him a host of friends.
[Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

Chas E. Blydenburgh, attorney; (Dem.); b. March 19, 1854, Brooklyn, N. Y.; s. of Benjamin B . and Mary (Brower) Blydenburgh; educ. Private schools, Brooklyn, N. Y. and Lawrenceville, N. J.; grad. (A. B.) Princeton Univ., 1874; (A. M.) Princeton, 1877, grad. (E. M. and C. E.) School of Mines, Columbia college, N. Y., 1878; mem. American Rifle Team,1876-1877, in shoot against British team at Creedmore, Long Island; located at Rawlins, Wyoming, Aug. 1878, in charge with J. G. Murphy, of the territorial assay office, 1878-80; engaged in ranching and cattle raising in Carbon county since 1880; engaged in newspaper business in Rawlins, 1880-8; admitted to bar in Wyoming, 1889, and has been in active practice in Rawlins since; member law firm of McMicken & Blydenburgh since 1889; supt. Fo schools, Carbon county, Wyo. 1881-2; mem. Wyo. Terr. H. of Rep. (10th Legislature) 1888; city councilman,. Rawlins, 1892-4; city attorney, Rawllins, twelve years; county and prosecuting attorney, Carbon county, 1897-8; Chr. Wyo. State Democratic Committee, 1896-8; Democratic candidate for State Supreme Court, 1898; delegate Democratic national convention at Kansas City (mem. Committee on Resolutions) 1900; member first Wyoming state board of law examiners, 1899-1911; dem. Candidate for Supreme Court Justice, 1914; member K. of P. (since 1880): charter member and Past Exalted Ruler Rawling lodge Elks. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming.
[Source: "Men of Wyoming", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915, Transcribed by Richard Ramos]



THOMAS CANNON
The cleanest and best furnished meat market and butcher shop in Rawlins is that owned and conducted by Thomas Cannon, who was born on March 7, 1832, in Yorkshire, England, a son of John and Margaret (Lambert) Cannon. John, the father, was born in the same shire in 1805, and in early manhood was a Methodist minister, a calling he followed a number of years before he became a butcher, which line of business he assumed in order to add to his income. He came to the United States in 1879 and settled in New York state, where he still continued to follow both vocations until 1879, when he was called to his eternal home, his remains being interred at the cemetery at Niagara Falls. Thomas Cannon, the father of John, was a farmer of Yorkshire, and died in his native country. Mrs. Margaret ( Lambert) Cannon, also a native of Yorkshire, was born in 1804. She was married in her native country, and died in 1895, a prominent church member. Her father, William Lambert, came with his family to the United States in 1830 and settled in Illinois, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death. Thomas Cannon was reared and educated in New York state, where he learned butchering, and at the age of twenty-one years began the business on his own account. This trade he followed about ten years in the Empire state and, in 1861, went to Illinois and carried on the same business at Jacksonville for thirty years. In 1891 he came to Rawlins, Wyo., and opened the shop which he still carries on and which is the best-kept and is the most popular in the city. Mr. Cannon was united in marriage at Niagara Falls, in 1851, with Miss Helen O'Connell, who was born in 1831. To this prolific and happy union have been born nine children, Charlotte, married to John Irwing of Rawlins; Thomas; Ellen, now Mrs. McMicker, of Rawlins; Lida, now Mrs. Seabon, of Jacksonville, Ill.; William; Annie, now Mrs. Eastwood, of Illinois; Amabel, single; Isabella, now Mrs. Blydenberg. of Rawlins, and Stella, now Mrs. Boham, of Illinois. Mr. Cannon has built up a fine reputation in his line of trade in Rawlins and is enjoying the cream of public patronage in the retail business, and he certainly deserves it, as no other person in the section has had so long an experience in the handling of meats especially prepared for table use. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]


IVOR CHRISTENSEN
The capable postmaster of Hanna, Carbon county, Wyoming, is a progressive and capable young business man. A native of the Fatherland, Ivor Christensen was born in 1869. and is the son of Andrew and Mary (Ericksen) Christensen, both natives of Germany. His father was born in 1840 and has always followed the occupation of farming in his native country, where he is still living. He was a soldier in the German army during the war with Denmark in 1864, the war with Austria in 1866, and the Franco Prussian War in 1870 and 1871. He was the son of Hans Christensen, also a native of the Fatherland, as was also the mother, who was born in 1843, and is still residing in Germany. Their son, Ivor, grew to man's estate in his native country, and received his early education in the public schools in the vicinity of his boyhood's home. When he had completed his education, he resolved to seek his fortune in the New World beyond the sea, and bidding farewell to his father and mother he took ship and came to America. Upon his arrival in this country, he proceeded to the then territory of Wyoming, and joined his brother, Hans, who was residing at Carbon in Carbon county. Soon after arriving there, his brother was taken with serious illness and he soon died. Ivor was unable to speak the English language, but he made the best of the situation, and occupied himself in ranching and mining, both in Wyoming and Colorado, for about two years. At the end of that time he returned to Carbon county and secured employment as a fireman in one of the mines and soon became familiar with all the machinery connected with mining operations. He also occupied all the time that was at his command in study, and acquired a general knowledge of the English language. In 1901 he met with a serious accident in the mine where he was employed, and was there from confined to the hospital for seven months. Upon his recovery from his injuries, he came to Hanna and was appointed the postmaster at that place. He was familiar with the duties of this position, from the fact that previous to his injury he had been the postmaster at Carbon for about two years. He had also served as a member of the city council of Carbon during his residence in that place. In the year 1900 Mr. Christensen was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Stephenson, a native of England, who came to America with her parents in 1880, when but two years of age, they made their home in Illinois until 1888. Disposing of their property at that place they moved to the then territory of Wyoming and settled in the town of Carbon. Carbon county, where Mr. Stephenson and family are well-known and highly respected citizens. To this union has been born one child to bless their home life, William E. Their home is noted for its generous and genial hospitality. Mr. Christensen is affiliated with the order of Knights of Pythias, and takes an active interest in the fraternal life of the community where he resides. He is also a stanch member of the Republican party, and is one of the most active and prominent among the leaders of that political organization in Carbon county. He has been often solicited to become a candidate for positions of trust and honor in the gift of his party, but thus far has consistently declined to do so, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to the care and management of his private business interests. He is held in high esteem by all who know him, and is looked upon as one of the rising young men of that section of the state. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

HON. JAMES H. CLAUSE
The present very efficient and popular mayor of the city of Rawlins, James H. Clause, was born in Springfield, Ill., in 1860, where he was reared and educated. His father Was Joseph Clause, a native of Germany, who. on coming to the United States, settled on a farm in Illinois, where he passed the remainder of his life, dying at the age of sixty-five years. Joseph Clause married in Illinois, Miss Elizabeth McClure, a native of Ireland, who passed away in 1882, at the age of seventy-two, the mother of six children, among whom was the present mayor of Rawlins, James H. Clause, who had lived in Springfield until the death of his mother, then came to Wyoming, as presenting a field in which a young man might find scope for the development of his innate ambition, or, at all events, of bettering his conditions in life. He arrived in Rawlins in March, 1882, and at once became engaged in the saloon business, with which he has been ever since connected, and also became identified with the Osborne Live Stock Co.. and with the real-estate business, the ice business, the grain trade and mining, in all of which he still retains his interests, and in all of which he met with invariable success, thus realizing the anticipations of his early years. It is perhaps necessary to say however that this success has been due to his own superior business qualifications, foresight, shrewdness, tact in availing himself of opportunities as they presented themselves, and also indefatigable industry, with all of which faculties Mr. Clause is happily endowed. In 1890 Mr. Clause was united in marriage with Miss Ella Omeria. a native of Ireland and a daughter of Robert and Julia Omeria, who came from Ireland to the United States in 1882 or 1883 and settled in Rawlins, where both parents passed the remainder of their lives and died at the same age, seventy years, in 1901. On February 11, 1901, Mrs. Ella Clause was called away by death, being a devout Catholic, an affectionate wife, a very loving mother and possessing most domestic habits. She left behind her to mourn her irreparable loss, her disconsolate husband and five children, who are named William, Esther. Vinson and Veronica (twins) and James R. In politics Mr. Clause has been a stanch Democrat ever since he has been old enough to exercise his franchise, and his faithful work for his party has culminated by his being rewarded in his election to his present exalted office of mayor of Rawlins to which on April 14, 1903, he was elected for another term by a highly gratifying and complimentary vote. But he has served excellently well in other public positions, such as city trustee for six years and city treasurer for two years, and his faithful performance of the duties pertaining to these offices has, it will be seen, culminated in his election to his present honorable and highly useful office. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

HON. CHARLES P. CLEMMONS
One of the leading men of Wyoming, at present mayor of Saratoga in that state, Hon. Charles P. Clemmons, a native of Nebraska, born on January 22, 1866, is the son of Travers and Cynthia (Powell) Clemmons, both natives of Ohio. His paternal grandfather was John Clemmons, a prominent citizen of Ohio, who removed from that state to Nebraska in territorial days, being one of the earliest of the pioneers west of the Missouri River. He was a prosperous farmer and for many years prior to his decease was one of the representative men of Nebraska, having his home near Rock Bluff in Cass county. His son, Travers Clemmons, was a young man at the time of the removal and grew to manhood in his new home, residing near Rock Bluff until 1887 when he disposed of his property at that place and changed his residence to Fairbury in Jefferson 'county, where he has since resided and been one of the prominent business men of the place, although he is now practically retired from active pursuits. During recent years he has been engaged principally in railroad construction work under contract, helping also to build the first railroad in the state. Hon. Charles P. Clemmons was reared in Nebraska and received his elementary education in the public schools near his boyhood home. Subsequently he pursued a course of study at the business college at Dixon, Ill., and then entered the law-office of Hambell & Hessty at Fairbury as a student. This was one of the leading law-firms in that section of the state, interested in much important litigation, especially in connection with the operations of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, for which it acted as counsel. Therefore Mr. Clemmons had an opportunity in this office to thoroughly familiarize himself with the theory and practice of the law under skilled preceptors, and he improved his opportunity to the best advantage. In 1888 he was admitted to the bar of Nebraska and soon afterward removed his residence to Colorado Springs, in the neighboring state of Colorado, where he became associated in the practice of his profession with J. K. Goudy, a prominent member of the bar of that state. He remained there about two years and then removed to Grand Encampment, Wyoming, and there engaged in mining for another period of two years. He was successful in his mining enterprises at times and was also largely interested in the town site company at Grand Encampment. In 1892 he removed to Saratoga, where he now lives, and there formed a partnership with Dr. Trice in a drug business at that town. His partner's health began to fail soon thereafter when he took charge of the business and conducted it with steadily increasing success. At the same time he was largely interested in mining and was instrumental in negotiating several large deals in mining property, notably that of the famous Ferris-Haggarty mine, which was sold for $1,000,000. He is at present a stockholder and actively interested in several of the largest and most promising mines in southern Wyoming, has done much to bring outside capital into the section, and been foremost in all measures which promised to promote the development of the surrounding country and benefit the people of his county and the state. In January. 1899. Mr. Clemmons was united in marriage with Miss Mamie Miller, a native of Indiana and a daughter of I. C. Miller, president of the Rawlins National Bank of Rawlins, one of the leading citizens of that portion of the state. Their union has been blessed with two children. Isaac Russell, named for his maternal grandfather, and Charles Powell Clemmons, Jr. Their home is widely noted for the gracious and generous hospitality which they have pleasure in dispensing to their large circle of friends and acquaintances and all of the members of the family are held in high esteem. Fraternally Mr. Clemmons is affiliated with the order of Elks and takes a deep interest in the proceedings both of his lodge and the order. In political faith Mr. Clemmons is a stanch Democrat, one of the ablest and most trusted of the leaders of the party in his state. The esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow-citizens, and their confidence in his business ability and capacity for public affairs, is fully attested by his election to the office of mayor of his home town, and his triumphant reelection to that position over a strong and representative Republican. His municipal administration has been characterized by fairness, ability, progressiveness and fidelity to the best interests of the entire community, without regard to party or personal considerations. His course has been progressive and enterprising, at the same time being safe and conservative, and the growth and improvement of the community have been marked and gratifying under his wise guidance and management of its affairs. In 1898 he was the candidate of his party for the office of county- attorney, and in 1900 for that of representative in the state legislature, but, owing to the large adverse majority in the county, he failed of an election, although he made an excellent run and received a very flattering vote. In the fall of 1902 he was nominated for member of Congress from his state but, although making a handsome showing at the polls, the conditions were unfavorable to his party and he was not elected. He is one of the rising men of Wyoming in business and in public life and is destined to continue a prominent figure in public affairs. He is progressive, able, faithful to every trust, and loyal to his friends and constituents. Among the younger men of Wyoming he is easily in the front rank and is one of those on whom the commonwealth must depend for safety and advancement at home and distinction abroad. In every walk of life he has shown high character, unyielding integrity, lofty citizenship, admirable capacity and a charming personality, while in every portion of the state he is regarded as a leading and most representative man. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

JAMES A. CROCHERON
One of the prosperous stockmen of Carbon county, Wyoming, and one of the representative citizens of that state and also a native of the state of New York, James A. Crocheron was born in Richmond county, in January. 1838, the son of Nicholas and Sophia C. (Guyon) Crocheron, both natives of Staten Island. The Crocheron and Guyon families were of Huguenot stock and members of both families came to America and leaving France soon after the St. Bartholomew massacre, they settled in New York during the seventeenth century. His father spent the greater portion of his active life on Staten Island, holding a position under the U. S. government as the resident customs officer, the position being one of importance and responsibility, and he discharged its duties with the full approval of his superior officers. He had a family of four sons and six daughters, of whom James received his elementary education in the public schools of the community where his boyhood's home was located on Staten Island and in early life he removed to Alabama, where the family of a brother was located. Here he became a clerk in the office of his brother, William H. Crocheron who was engaged in a general mercantile business and subsequently he was admitted to a partnership. Upon the breaking out of the Civil War, while not a believer in the principle of secession, he yet espoused the cause of his adopted state and enlisted in the Third Alabama Infantry, under Col. J. M. Withers. The regiment was ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, where they had charge of the navy yard and during the first year of service it was occupied in garrison duty. Mr. Crocheron saw his first active service on the James River in Virginia, and was a witness of the historic naval battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac. After that engagement his regiment was ordered to Richmond, then menaced by the Monitor, was transferred to the brigade of Gen. William Mahone and subsequently took part in the battle of Fair Oaks or Seven Pines, being then assigned to the Alabama brigade of General Rhodes. Later he was a participant in the Seven Days Fight in Virginia and took part in all the principal engagements of the armies of the Potomac, his regiment being under command of Stonewall Jackson. In his military service he was wounded three times, first at the battle of Fair Oaks, second at the battle of Boonesborough Gap, and third at the battle of Gettysburg. His injuries at Fair Oaks were not serious and he soon recovered, but at Boonesborough Gap he was shot down, left upon the field and made a prisoner by the Union forces, taken to the U. S. hospital at West Philadelphia, and upon his recovery after some time was exchanged and returned to his regiment. At the battle of Gettysburg, he was still more seriously wounded, was again made a prisoner, but again paroled after three months captivity. At the close of the war he returned to his Alabama home and accepted a position as a clerk in the city of Montgomery where he remained for some time, subsequently removing to Mobile, where he again engaged in business with his brother William. He remained here successfully engaged in business for about five years, when he removed to Galveston, Tex., and was there engaged in commercial pursuits up to the year 1887, when he came to the territory of Wyoming. Here he established himself on Cow Creek, about seven miles north of the city of Encampment, and engaged in ranching and stock raising. In this enterprise he has met success and is now the owner of one of the finest ranch properties in his section of the state, and he is known as one of the leading citizens of Carbon county, being held in high esteem. In August, 1871. Mr. Crocheron was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Kelly, a native of Louisiana and a member of one of its prominent families. To their union were born three children. Laura, now Mrs. Brewer, who resides at Denver, Colo.; Annie, Mrs. Kling. whose home is on Cow Creek, Wyo.; Sophia G., now living in Denver, Colo. Mrs. Crocheron died in1881, and in 1886,, while in the state of Texas, Mr. Crocheron was again married, the bride being Miss Helen Owen, a native of Connecticut, whose parents were highly respected citizens of that commonwealth and of ancient Welsh lineage. She is an attractive lady, whose graces of culture and refinement center in the home life and embellish it, making it also a center of most gracious and generous hospitality. Mr. Crocheron has not in recent years taken an active part in political life, preferring to give his entire time and attention to the care and management of his ranch interests, although he has been solicited by his party friends and associates to become a candidate for positions of trust and honor. Just after the close of the war he was elected an alderman of the city of Mobile. Ala., and served in that capacity with capability and the satisfaction of his constituents. He is a wearer of the badge of the Southern Cross of Honor, a mark of distinction which means much to the soldiers of the Confederacy, and which. exemplifies the heroic services he rendered to the Lost Cause, a progressive and spirited citizen, doing much in a private capacity to advance the interests of the community and to promote the general welfare of the public. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]


DAVID F. CROUT
A prominent stockman and rancher of Wyoming, and one of the most progressive and enterprising citizens of his section of the state is David F. Crout, whose address is Collins, Wyo. A native of Jackson county, Mich., he was born on October 14, 1861, the son of William and Melissa A. (Bryant) Crout, natives of New York. The paternal grandfather, John Crout, was also a native of the Empire state, removed to Michigan in his early life and was one of the pioneers of that state and remained there engaged in agriculture up to the time of his death. The father also followed farming in Michigan until 1861, when he enlisted as a member of the First Regiment of Michigan Cavalry, for service in the Civil War, in which service he received a promotion for gallantry in action, and by a re-enlistment he was continued in the army and detailed to guard the stages on the old overland stage road to California. He began this service in 1866 and served in it for about three years, having many exciting experiences on the frontier and being frequently engaged in skirmishes with the Indians, with several narrow escapes. In 1869 he was mustered out at Fort Douglass near Salt Lake City, Utah, and came to Laramie, Wyo., and engaged in the hotel business, and his place, the Frontier Hotel, was one of the famous, resorts of the early days. He carried on this business successfully for thirteen years, improving his property from time to time, as his patronage demanded and the country grew in population and business. In 1883. he located the ranch on Beaver Creek which is now the property of W. R. Hunter, and there engaged in ranching and the raising of stock, continuing in this to the time of his decease, which occurred in 1896. He was a representative man of the community and was held in high esteem by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. David F. Crout was the youngest son of his father and grew to manhood in Wyoming, having come hither in 1869. He received his early education in the primitive public schools, and remained with his parents until 1883, when he located his present ranch, and moved unto it shortly afterward. Here he engaged in ranching and stock raising, and was successful. He gradually improved his property, adding to his holdings each year both land and cattle, until he is now the owner of one of the finest ranches in that section of Wyoming, with about 340 acres under irrigation and raising great quantities of alfalfa each year, often putting up 500 tons for the use of his own stock. He has a fine herd of graded Shorthorn cattle, being the owner of some of the most valuable animals in the state. He is one of the large property owners and substantial business men of that section. On November 30, 1892, Mr. Crout was united in marriage with Miss Jennie M. Hunter, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Thomas W. Hunter, a well-known business man, who was extensively engaged in stock raising both in Illinois and other states. To this union were born two children, William H. and Marion Grace. In 1898 the health of Mrs. Crout began to fail and in spite of every effort that affection could suggest or money command to restore her to health she passed away from earth in 1900. Fraternally, Mr. Crout is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the order of Maccabees, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Yeomen, and takes an active interest in the fraternal life of the community where he resides. His ranch is situated on Beaver Creek, about eleven miles from Encampment, near the new mining districts where several large mines are now being developed, being in the center of one of the best sections of Wyoming. Mr. Crout is an enterprising, progressive and successful man, who has done much to develop the resources of this portion of the state, and is highly respected. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

ARTHUR H. CROW
One of the successful mining men of Wyoming, Arthur H. Crow, of Encampment, is one of the progressive and enterprising citizens who have recently brought the southern portion of that state into prominence as a mining section. He was born on December 28, 1872, at Tama City, Iowa, the son of Jonathan S. and Marilla L. (Montgomery) Crow, both natives of Springfield, Ohio. The paternal grandfather was also a native of Springfield, and his wife was a member of the well-known Yager family of Pennsylvania. This family came originally from Holland to Pennsylvania during the early colonial period. The Crow family came from Scotland, and settled in New England during the early days of the Massachusetts colony, members of the family subsequently removing to Ohio, where they were among the earliest pioneers. Shortly before the Civil War, the paternal grandfather, Mathias Crow, disposed of his property in Springfield, Ohio, and went to Illinois, where Jonathan S. Crow, the father of the subject of this sketch, who was the eldest son of the family, enlisted in 1861 in the Thirty-fourth Illinois Regiment. He saw a great deal of active service during his army life and was a participant in the battles of Shiloh and Gettysburg, and was in the army of Sherman on his march to the sea. He served throughout the entire war, and was mustered out in 1865 with the rank of first sergeant. He then returned to his former home at Sterling, Ill., and engaged in farming until 1870, when he disposed of his property in Illinois, and removed to Iowa, located at Tama City, and continued in the occupation of farming for about two years, then going to Nebraska, where he established his home in Howard county and continued successfully in his former pursuits of farming and stock raising. After a residence here of about eight years, he disposed of his farms and engaged in railroad contracting. He was successful in this business, in which he remained for about eight years. He then purchased a stock ranch in Valley county, Neb., where he engaged in stock raising, in which he continued to be employed until the time of his death on March 3, 1892. He left a family of eight children. Arthur H. Crow was the fourth son and he grew to man's estate at St. Paul, Neb., acquired his elementary education in the public schools of that place and completed his education at the Normal School of Lincoln, and upon his graduation from that institution, he engaged in the stock and. grain business in Lincoln in partnership with Mr. C. M. Jaques. They continued in successful business until 1899, when they sold their interests there, and removed to the young city of Encampment, Wyo., where they acquired large interests in valuable mining property. Since that time they have been engaged in mining, being uniformly successful in their operations. Mr. Crow is now the general manager, a director and a principal owner of the Blanche Copper Mining Co., which owns valuable mining claims adjoining the New Rambler mines. He is also a director and the superintendent of the Copper King Mining Co., and a large stockholder in the Verde Copper Mining Co.. which owns one of the finest properties in the new copper district. On May 20, 1896, Mr. Crow was united in marriage with Miss Minnie M. Turner, a native of Missouri, and the daughter of J. J. Turner, who subsequently removed with his family from Missouri to Nebraska, where he engaged in farming and stock raising with great success and is now retired. Three children have been born to bless the home life of Mr. and Mrs. Crow, Arthur, Margaret and John, deceased. Their home at Encampment is noted for its hospitality. Fraternally. Mr. Crow is affiliated with the order of Freemasonry and with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America, and takes an active interest in all work of charity and fraternity. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]


HON. GEORGE FERRIS
The gentleman whose eventful life it is now our high privilege to review, was during his lifetime one of the best-known citizens of Carbon county, Wyoming, and one of the most honorable and enterprising cattlemen of the Platte River valley. He was born on a farm in Michigan, where he received the usual education of farmers' lads and passed his early manhood in the pursuit of agriculture. He was a son of Samuel Ferris, a native of New York, who was born in 1800 and came with his wife, Sally (Spears) Ferris, to Michigan, in which state he died when nearly eighty-six years old. He was truly an American patriot and at the breaking out of the Civil War he flew to the defense of the flag of his country, enlisting in Co. D, Seventh Michigan Cavalry, served four years and was mustered out as lieutenant, having been promoted from the ranks for meritorious conduct in the presence of the enemy. This muster-out took place at Camp Douglas, Utah, from which point Mr. Ferris returned to Michigan. Mr. Ferris shared in all the marches, tactics and engagements in which his regiment took part and was never known to shirk his duty or to be absent from his post, except when laboring under a disability caused by sickness or wounds. On his return to Michigan he remained there one year, then came to Carbon county, Wyoming, and employed himself for a short time in hunting and prospecting, but soon entered into the all-pervading cattle business, in conjunction with Joe Hurt, securing a ranch on the Platte River, twelve miles below Fort Steele. In 1889 Ferris sold out his cattle interests and turned his attention to sheep raising, which occupied his time until four years ago, when he sold his interest in this industry. Among his other experiences in the mines of Wyoming in which he had taken an interest, Mr. Ferris and his associates once grubstaked Ed. Haggarty, who later discovered the now famous Ferris-Haggarty mine. Soon after the discovery of this mine, before much work had been done, one of his associates offered to sell his interest to Mr. Ferris, which offer was quickly accepted by him, and he at once, with that indomitable pluck and energy so characteristic of him, devoted his whole time and means to the development of the mine; with what success can be best judged from the fact that in September, 1902, the Ferris-Haggarty mine was sold to the North American Copper Mining Co. for $1,000,000; and to George Ferris belongs the credit of the stability of the mining industry, as it exists in Carbon county today. In politics Mr. Ferris was a stanch Republican and twice represented his party in the Wyoming Legislature as well as in the constitutional convention which admitted the territory of Wyoming into the sisterhood of states. Among minor offices he held that of county commissioner and he was always a faithful and intelligent official in every capacity which he was called upon to fill. He died full of honor in August, 1900. 'Mrs. Julia Ferris, the honored widow of George Ferris, who bore the maiden name of Julia Childs, was born in New York, a daughter of John Childs, a native of the same state, who died in 1860, when but forty-seven years of age, being also a son of Jonas Childs, himself a native of New York. The mother of Mrs. Ferris was born in Ohio and passed away in 1864 at the age of forty-four. As Mrs. Ferris was very young when bereft of her parents she was kindly taken in charge by J. Arnold, a warm friend of her father, and by him was tenderly reared to womanhood. To Mr. and Mrs. George Ferris were born these children, May, deceased; Edna, deceased; Frank Ray ; Vern; Ralph; Cecil. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]


SAMUEL D. GREENE, M. D.
A leading physician of Saratoga, Wyoming, and one of the rising professional men of the state is Dr. Samuel D. Greene, who was born at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on February 11, 1867,. the son of John and Ellen (Leewey) Greene, the former a native of Canada and the latter of Ireland. The paternal grandfather was a native of Scotland, and came to America from his native country in the early part of the nineteenth century. He was a British soldier of the War of 1812, and after the termination of that conflict, he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ontario. His son John Greene was long engaged in lumbering in his native country of Canada, and retired with a competency some years ago. He now makes his residence at Arnprior, Ontario. Dr. Greene attained manhood in his native city of Ottawa, and there acquired his elementary education in the public schools. When he had completed his preliminary preparation, he matriculated at the Queen's University, at Kingston, and pursued a special course of study for about two years, when he entered the medical department of the same institution. After completing his course he was graduated in the class of 1890, with the degree of M. D., C. M., and entered upon the practice of his profession at Bancroft, in County Hastings. Ontario. He remained here for about three years, meeting with marked success, then disposed of his practice and removed to the town of Arnprior, where he continued in practice for about five years, when he located in Nebraska. Remaining here about six months, he removed to Rawlins, Wyoming, where he opened an office and was engaged in successful practice for about one year. In the year 1899 he disposed of his practice at Rawlins and removed to the city of Saratoga, Wyo., where he has since made his home and been continuously engaged in medical practice. He has been uniformly successful, has built up a large practice in Saratoga and the surrounding country, and has an extended reputation. Fraternally the Doctor is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, holding the position of prelate in his local lodge; and with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Modern Woodmen of America, of which he is the physician. He is the examining physician for the New York Life Insurance Co., and the Mutual Life Insurance Co., of New York, and is often called in consultation by physicians in other sections of the state. He is a hard student, thoroughly familiar with the most modern theories and treatment of disease, "having the fullest confidence of the people in the community where he maintains his home and is deservedly popular with all classes of people. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]


JOHN C. GUNNING
One of the most popular places of public resort conducted in Rawlins, Wyoming, is that of which John C. Gunning is the proprietor. This genial and sociable gentleman, who was born in Hillsboro, Ill., on January 1, 1854. is a son of John C. and Rachel (Galliday) Gunning, "and seems to be blessed with the happy disposition that universally pervades mankind on each anniversary of the day on which he was born. John C. Gunning, Sr., father of the subject proper of this biographical notice, was born in Ohio, in 1820, being later a blacksmith by trade, who, in 1847, removed to Hillsboro, Ill., where he passed the remainder of his life and died in 1877, strongly imbued with the principles of the Republican party. John C. Gunning, the gentleman whose name opens this article, was but four years of age when he was bereft of his mother, but he continued to reside with his father until he reached the age of seventeen, when he left his native state of Illinois and came, in 1871, as far west as Denver, Colo., where he secured employment with the Denver Transfer Co., at freighting. As a teamster for this company he drew in the first machinery taken to the Little Annie mine, at Del Norte, in the spring of 1875, arid m tne summer of the same year, he went to Silver Creek, although there were but few houses at that place at the time. In the summer of 1876. Mr. Gunning came to Cheyenne, Wyo., whence he made a trip to the Black Hills, again engaged in freighting, and hauled the lumber used in building Fort McKinney; in 1879 ne went to work for the Union Pacific Railroad as brakeman, later he was made a fireman, and, in 1883, was promoted to engineer, in which capacity he acted until 1888. when he withdrew from railroading and engaged "in the saloon business in Rawlins, where he still conducts one of the most orderly and popular places of public resort in the town. Mr. Gunning was joined in marriage, in 1883, with Miss Mary J. Quinlan, a daughter of John and Margaret (Hays) Quinlan, natives of Ireland, and a niece of Lays, the oldest settler of Wyoming territory. This marriage has been graced with nine children, born in the following order: May Helen, Dan, Franklin, John, Clinton, James, Blaine who died in October, 1899). Josephine, Marguerite, Charles Lawrence, Cornelius Thomas (who died in December, 1900), and Raphael Celsus. In politics Mr. Gunning is an active Democrat, being prominent as a local leader. He has served his party two years as president of the school board, four years as treasurer of the school board, and three years as president of the city council, of which he is at present a member. He has been a very active member of this body and has well guarded the interests of his constituents, as well as those of the people at large, and he has met universal approbation. [Source: "Progressive Men of the State of Wyoming", 1901 - Submitted by Marie Miller]

BACK -- HOME
Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails