Genealogy Trails logo

Genealogy Trails History Group

Laramie County, Wyoming
Obituaries and Death Notices

Thomas F. Brooks
Shoots Self after Writing Brief Note Declaring That He Does Not Want Life Thomas F. Brooks, 24, Sends Bullet Through Brain in Room on East Lincoln Way
Motive Remains Mystery
Former Union Pacific Employee Is Fourth in Same Family to Meet Tragic Death
Thomas F. Brooks, 24. was found dead in his room at his home, 911 East Lincoln way, .shortly after. 11 o'clock this morning. When neighbors, alarmed at the sound of a shot, forced their way Into Brooks' room, they found him lying stretched on his bed, a gaping bullet wound In his left temple and the revolver grasped in his outstretched hand. Before taking his own life,. Brooks penned a short note, explaining that he had decided to kill himself because he was "discouraged and despondent."
Margaret Brooks, the dead man's sister, employed as cashier at, the E.S. Johnston grocery company, was notified and hastened to her brother's side, She is nearly frantic with grief, this being the last of series of tragic deaths In her family, a sister having met death a few years ago as a result of a gasoline explosion. Brook's father died two years ago from Injuries sustained while working at the pump house. A brother, James Brooks, died as a result of accidents sustained in a railroad wreck about four years ago
Neighbors, on finding the body, notified Dr. J. H. Conway but when he arrived it was evident that Brooks had been dead for considerable time. The bullet entered low in the neck and came out through the temple. It is declared that death must have been almost instantaneous.
Coroner Clyde Early was called and took charge of the body. Funeral arrangements are not yet announced. The young man is survived by his sister. Miss Margaret Brooks, employ- ed as a cashier at the E. S. Johnston Grocery company, a brother, Chauncey Brooks of Rawlins and another sister, Mrs. Wm. Boyer of Sterling, Colo.
[7 Mar 1917, Wyoming State Tribune- Cheyenne State Leader - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

William C. Burke
Class of 1833 – WILLIAM CRAIGE BURKE. Born, Feb. 19, 1812, Woodstock, Vt. Son of Solomon W. and Mary (Craige) Burke. Fitted for college at Phillips Andover. Mr. Burke graduated from Andover Theological Seminary in 1838. He preached for two years, when his voice failed, and he was forced to abandon the pulpit. He then entered the medical department of the University of New York, and received his degree in 1844. Dr. Burke entered at once upon the practice of his new profession. He was settled in New York City until 1856. Later he went to South Norwalk, Conn., and then to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where he lived until his death.
Died, May 24, 1902, of old age, at Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Married, Sarah E. Farrar, 1848. Two sons and a daughter survive him.
[Source: "Dartmouth College Necrology", 1901-1902, Hanover, N.H. Transcribed by K. Mohler]

William Kersten
He Has Left the Country
Cheyenne, Wyo. Aug. 8. — William Kersten, a ranchman of New Fork, Fremont county, has been found dead near his ranch. There was a bullet hole in his breast, one eye was knocked out and he was otherwise mutilated. Kersten was on trial during the last term of court for stealing a bull, but was acquitted. It is said the charge was a trumped up one, the idea being to send him to jail or force him to leave the country. Suspicion points to parties in assist in the prosecution being concerned in the murder. 8 Aug 1893; "Rockford Daily Spectator" - Sub. by Barb Z.

Erasmus Nagle
Erasmus Nagle, an old-time resident of Cheyenne, died in that city today at 12:30 o'clock of pneumonia, resulting from la grippe.
[Daily Boomerang", January 24, 1890, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Virginia Schweitzberger
Other Passengers in Accident Near Carpenter Escape Unhurt in Late Afternoon Crash.
Virginia Schweitzberger, 11 months old, died at the Cheyenne Private hospital this morning, seven hours after receiving injuries in an automobile accident near the Nash ranch, which is close to Carpenter, yesterday evening at 5 o'clock.
There were five persons in the machine when it turned upside down. The automobile was being driven by Ralph Schwitzberger, father of the dead baby, when the accident occurred. The front seat was occupied by his wife and their baby, besides himself, when the car suddenly left the road and landed upside down.
Two Thrown Clear
Alice M. Riner, 12 years old, and another daughter of the Schweitzberger's who is only three years old, were in the back seat, and were thrown clear when the accident occurred, but Mr.and Mrs. Schweitzberger and the baby were all pinned under the car.
Worming himself into a position where it was possible for him to get a purchase against the weight of the car, Mr. Schweitzberger succeeded in raising it enough to extricate his wife, and then the baby. Although he and his wife were severely bruised, they escaped serious injury.
Baby Brought Here
The baby was rushed to Cheyenne by Dr. Martin of Carpenter, and was taken immediately to the Private hospital where Dr. Martin and Dr. G. P. Johnston of this city operated. For a time it was hoped that the baby would live, but this hope waned, and at 3 o'clock this morning she died.
The parents were so badly shaken and bruised that they were not able to come to the Cheyenne hospital with the little girl, and were unable to come in today. Dr. Martin stayed here with the baby, and returned with the body to Carpenter this afternoon. The funeral will be held at the Methodist church in Carpenter tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock.
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, February 5, 1920 - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

John E. Ryan
John E. Ryan, for the past twenty years a resident of Cheyenne, died Monday of pneumonia at the age of 48. He served during the war, and was imprisoned in both Libby and Andersonville.
[Daily Boomerang", January 21, 1890, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Mary Lee Stark
Mary Lee Stark, the first woman to cast a vote in the United States, is a resident of Cheyenne. Mrs. Stark cast her first ballot shortly after Wyoming was admitted to statehood with a woman sufferage a part of its constitution.
Mrs. Stark lived in Cheyenne many years ago, later moving to Laramie, and thence to Fort Morgan, Colo. From Fort Morgan she went to Lost Cabin, Wyoming, and has recently come back to Cheyenne. She is an old, silver-haired lady, almost ninety years of age. She is a sister-in-law of S. A. Bristol, of Cheyenne, and her husband, Nathaniel A. Stark, who died a short time ago was the first superintendent of Cheyenne schools.
It has been so long ago that she cast the first vote ever cast by a woman that Mrs. Stark has forgotten just what building the ballot was cast in, she reports, but believes that it was an old recreation hall that was formerly used in this city. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, November 8, 1918, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

O. F. Cowhick
O. F. Cowhick, prominent dry goods merchant, died at his home.
[Tribune of April 2, 1903, reprinted in Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, April 2, 1918, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Robert Morris
Pioneer Court Reporter and Man Who Obtained Carnegie Donation Expires at Noon Today.
Robert Morris is dead.
He died shortly before noon today in the Cheyenne Private Hospital from the results of a stroke of paralysis suffered six years ago.
Mr. Morris was the son of Mrs. Esther Morris, "mother" of woman's suffrage in Wyoming. He had been in the hospital for some time, and yesterday his condition became critical. He had been unconscious for several hours prior to his death.
For many years Mr. Morris was official reporter for the Wyoming state supreme court and it has been said he was the most expert reporter the state ever had, certainly excelled by none. From court reporting he went to Green River to participate actively in the general mercantile business conducted by his brother, Edward Morris. Mr. Morris took over the business after his brother's death.
Obtained Library
To Mr. Morris Cheyenne was chiefly indebted for its Carnegie library. It was largely through his efforts that a donation of $50,000 was secured from Andrew Carnegie.
Mrs. Morris was living at the time at South Pass, Wyoming, and served there as justice of the peace, the first and only woman justice in the country. Another son, half-brother of Mr. Morris, also became a distinguished citizen of the state -- Col. E. A. Slack, for 30 years owner and publisher of the Cheyenne Leader, and one of Wyoming's foremost editors. Colonel Slack died about 10 years ago.[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 22, 1921, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Lydia W. Dunham
Friends in Cheyenne learned today of the death of Mrs. Lydia W. Dunham, a former resident of this city, at Brookville, Ky., last Wednesday. The body will arrive in Cheyenne tonight, and funeral services will be held at the Early chapel at a date not yet announced.
Mrs. Dunham was the wife of Rev. W. N. Dunham who died here eight years ago. Besides two stepdaughters Della Burdict and Marian Branson who live in Cheyenne she is survived by a daughter Florence D. Murphy of Salt Lake City and a granddaughter, Blanche Murphy.
[unknown newspaper, unknown date, unknown submitter --- possible death date is Oct. 24, 1917 with burial in Lakeview Cemetery]

Emma Peters
Mrs. Peters Dies; Lived in Cheyenne For Three Decades
Mrs. Emma Peters died Friday night following an operation at a local hospital. She is survived by her husband Charles M. Peters, to whom she was married in Denver in 1888, and by three sons, Eugene, Carl, and Paul. The family has had its residence in Cheyenne since 1890. The funeral is arranged for Monday afternoon, Rev. J. S. Stubblefield officiating. Burial will be in the Lakeview cemetery. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, April 16, 1921, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Mary T. Rice
Widow of Henry Rice Passes Away
Mrs. Mary T. Rice, widow of Henry P. Rice, died this morning at a local hospital. She is survived by a daughter and a son, both of whom are married. The daughter lives in Ogden, while the son is a machinist in the U. P. shops here.
Mr. and Mrs. Rice were pioneer residents of Cheyenne, having lived here for more than thirty years. Mr. Rice died about a year ago after working for the P. S. Cook plumbing company for the past twenty-five years.
The body is at the Dumm mortuary at present preparatory to funeral arrangements which have not been announced as yet. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 27, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Fred Wedge
Fred Wedge, time keeper for the Union Pacific railroad at Laramie, died Thursday from injuries received a few days ago when he was struck by a gasoline speedster in the Laramie yards.
His hip was crushed and he suffered internal injuries. Wedge was taken to the Laramie hospital where he died. His body was brought to Cheyenne late Thursday and burial will be made here. The funeral arrangements are in charge of Early Bricker Brothers. Wedge was a son-in-law of Mrs. A. Sandberg, 203 East Tenth street. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 14, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Howard K. Wilson
Howard K. Wilson, 90, of - - - -Drive died May 24 in Cheyenne. He was born December 21, 1908, in Gordon, Nebraska. Mr. Wilson worked in the straight Office of the Union Pacific Railroad for 48 years. He retired in 1973. Mr. Wilson is survived by a son, Kenneth Wilson, of San Jose, California; a daughter, Sandra Butler, of Tucson, Arizona; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by two wives, Zula Wilson and Robbie Mae Wilson; his parents, Clarence and Edith Wilson; two brothers; and two sisters. Services will be at 3:30 PM, Thursday at Wiederspahn-Radomsky Chapel of the Chimes with the Rev. James Doudican officiating. Intermittent will be in Cheyenne Memorial Gardens. [
Wyoming Tribune – Eagle (Cheyenne, W Y) May 27, 1999 - CM - Sub by FoFG]

Louisa J. Huber
The body of Mrs. Louisa J. Huber, wife of Hugo Huber, who died Sunday near Hillsdale, was brought to Cheyenne today for burial in Lakeview cemetery. The funeral was in charge of Hobbs, Huckfeldt, and Finkbiner.
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, February 8, 1921, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

George M. Humphrey
Passes away When Tooth Is Extracted
George M. Humphrey, of Burns, passed away while having teeth extracted by a Cheyenne dentist, after an anaesthetic. The first tooth was pulled when shock and a weak heart caused death. Mr. Humphrey was 31 years old and lived at Burns with his family.
[Buffalo News, 2 September 1926, page 1 - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]

Oliver T. Perry
George W. Russell

Two cousins, who died twenty-four hours apart, will be buried Tuesday. Oliver T. Perry, a rancher living near Hereford, Colo., died Friday at his home. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. in the Methodist Episcopal church, the Rev. William T. Dumm officiating. Interment will be made in Lakeview cemetery. Members of the Woodmen of the World will serve as pallbearers, and the organization will attend the body. The body will lie in state in Early-Bricker brothers' chapel until 3 o'clock Tuesday.

George W. Russell, 65 years old, cousin of Mr. Perry, died Saturday at Manville, Wyo. He formerly lived in Cheyenne, leaving this city to become manager of the Gilcrist ranch.
His funeral services will be held tomorrow at 2 o'clock at the Methodist Episcopal church. The body will be in Early-Bricker brothers' rooms until 1 p.m. Burial will be made in Lakeview cemetery. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, February 8, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Joseph Straub
Old Volunteer Fireman Passes
Joseph Straub, an old-time pressman of Cheyenne, and for many years a volunteer fireman serving with the Alert hose team, is dead.
He died yesterday at the age of 73 years. He was born in Germany and was one of the old-time residents of Cheyenne. His last work in this city was as pressman for the Cheyenne Leader, when it was owned by Colonel E. A. Slack. Prior to that time he was a pressman on the old Cheyenne Sun. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, February 8, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Reichert Family
Three members of one family in Cheyenne succumbed to Spanish influenza within a week. Julius Reichert, who lived on the Charles Becker ranch died of the disease last week, and was buried on Sunday. His brother, Paul Reichert, who came to Cheyenne from Iowa to be with Julius during his illness died three days later, on New Year's day. Yesterday, just one week after the death of her husband, Mrs. Julius Reichert died as a result of a nervous breakdown brought on by grief over the death of her husband and the illness of her brother-in-law.
Her mother-in-law, Mrs. Reichert, Sr., who was here for a time went east with the body of Paul Reichert, and it is believed, will be compelled to return to Cheyenne to make funeral arrangements for Mrs. Julia Reichert.
The latter is survived by two small sons, aged seven and two years, respectively, who are now in the care of the superintendent of the private hospital of this city. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 04, 1919, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

James Murray
James Murray, one of the oldest ranch and stockmen in this section of the state, died Friday in Evans, Colo., from pneumonia, after an illness of several days.
He came to Cheyenne nearly half a century ago, and at the time of his death owned several large stock ranches just outside the city.
He is survived by his widow and seven children. The children are Mrs. Jack Rutledge, Pinedale; Mrs. John Steinbrecht, Lander; William Murray, Cheyenne; Mrs. Leo Conlogue, Glendale; Mrs. Percy Laycock, Waneta; James Murray, Pine Bluffs; and Frank Murray of Greeley.
The body will be brought to Cheyenne tonight and will lie in state in the parlors
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 22, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

G.H. Hutton
G. H. Hutton, an old timer of Laramie died Saturday aged 62 of paralysis, following a recent attack of pneumonia. Deceased was a prominent stock and ranch owner and had been in the west for thirty five years, coming in 1863 to help build the telegraph line from the Missouri river. [Wyoming Press November 4, 1899, Submitted by Marie Miller]

Emily Davies
Miss Emily Davies, principal of the Johnson school, died at her home in Fremont, Neb., from typhoid fever. She had taught in Cheyenne since 1891. [The Wyoming State Tribune, Thursday, November 2, 1900.]

DeForest Richards
DEFOREST RICHARDS, governor of Wyoming, died at his home in Cheyenne of acute kidney disease. He had twice been governor of Wyoming, being first elected in 1898, and succeeding himself in 1902. Mr. Richards has been one of the foremost promoters of Wyoming. The governor's chair now fails to Fennimore Chatterton, secretary of state, there being no lieutenant governor in Wyoming. [Idaho Falls Times, May 1, 1903, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Charles D. Roberts
Charles D. Roberts, for 45 years a railroad man out of Cheyenne, died at 12:30 in the morning at his home in Casper. The body will be brought to Cheyenne, and the funeral will be held here Monday at an hour not yet decided upon. The services will be in charge of the Blue Lodge Masons.
Mr. Roberts was 70 years of age. He entered the service of the Union Pacific as a young man in 1870, and for many years was a conductor on the Wyoming division. Later he became assistant yard master, and finally was awarded the position of Depot master. About three years age he was pensioned, and about a year ago he moved to Casper to enter the employ of the Midwest Refining company.
He is survived by three daughters, Mrs. L. R. Tyson, Jr., formerly Miss Valentine Roberts; Lillie and Minnie, and four sons, Dan, Will, Waldo and Frank. Dan W. is now division storekeeper of the Kansas division of the Union Pacific.
The deceased was one of the pioneer residents of Cheyenne, and he had a wide circle of friends, both among the railroad men over the division and the people of this city.
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, January 4, 1919, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Ina Pershinger
Ina Pershinger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Harstock of Cheyenne, who died here Nov. 5, 1918, was born in Mercer County, Mo., Jan. 9, 1893. She was married to George Pershinger at Des Moines, Iowa, in 1912, and the one child born to this union died in infancy.
Until about a year ago she lived at Harrisburg, Penn., when failing health compelled her to return to Cheyenne. She was a member of the Lutheran church in which she took an active interest. Besides her husband she is survived by her parents, a brother, Roy, and three sisters, Ila, Ola, and Laura Harstock, all of Cheyenne.
Funeral services were conducted at the Early chapel by the Rev. E. E. Brace of the Methodist Episcopal church.
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, November 8, 1918, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Hanna Heanette Bevan | Soledad G. D. Martinez | Drexel C. Smith | Salvador Igara | Sylvia L. Daniels | James McFarland | Claude Nighswonger | Neva Hasen
Four deaths and three funerals marked the passing of Sunday in Cheyenne.
Mrs. Hanna Heanette Bevan died at Divide yesterday, and her body was brought to Early's. Funeral services will be announced later.
Soledad G. D. Martinez, aged 57, died in Cheyenne. Funeral services will be held from St. Mary's at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning.
Drexel C. Smith died yesterday, and his body was shipped to Rocky Ford, Colorado, for burial today.
Salvador Igara, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Lorenzo Igara, died yesterday and was buried in Olivet cemetery this morning.
Funeral services for Sylvia L. Daniels were held from Early's parlors yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock, with Rev. Stubblefield presiding. Interment was at Lakeview cemetery.
Services for Mrs. Arthur Porter were held at 1:30, from Early's, with Rev. Stubblefield in charge.
The funeral of James McFarland was held from St. Mary's cathedral at 9 o'clock yesterday morning. Interment was at Olivet.
The body of Claude Nighswonger will be taken to Viola, Kansas, tomorrow afternoon, his mother having arrived from that place to take charge of arrangements and she will accompany the body back to Viola.
The body of Neva Hasen, who died at the Private hospital late Saturday, will be shipped to Hutchinson, Kansas today.
[Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, February 17, 1919, transcribed by Amanda Jowers]

Mrs. George L. Holt
Mrs. George L. Holt, who for twenty years was a resident of Cheyenne, died Feb. 9 at Salem, Oregon of pneumonia, according to advices which have reached Cheyenne. She is survived by her husband and three children. Funeral services were held at the home of her son Wilbur R. Holt of Buffalo, Wyo., and internment was at Willow Grove cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Holt moved to Buffalo from Cheyenne but for the last few years she had been a patient in the Oregon State hospital.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (21 Feb. 1918) - MZ - Sub by FoFG]

Ellen V. Calkins
Mrs. Ellen V. Calkins, formerly of Cheyenne, died February 25 at her home in Laramie. Funeral services were held Saturday.
Mrs. Calkins, who was exceedingly popular here, is survived by her husband, F. R. Calkins, recently of the Midwest refinery of Casper. She was born at Newton, Ia., October 9, 1865. She was a member of the First Presbyterian church at Casper. [Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader, March 2, 1921, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

James Forbes
Pneumonia Fatal to Widely Known Nebraska Banker Who Had Been Associated With the Stock Growers National Bank
James Forbes, 52, widely known banker of Nebraska and for the last year prominent in business circles of Cheyenne, died at his home at 503 East Seventeenth street after a two day's illness of pneumonia. Death occurred early this morning.
Mr. Forbes came to Cheyenne a year ago from York, Neb., where he had been engaged in the banking business for a number of years. He was associated with the Stock Growers National bank here as an outside representative of rural credits. A son, George F. Forbes, also is employed at the Stock Growers bank.
A daughter, Mrs. Mary Forbes Gray of Worland, Wyo., with her husband arrived in Cheyenne this morning a few hours after her father's death.
Besides the children George J. Forbes and Mrs. Gray, Mr. Forbes is survived by his widow, and two daughters, Hanna Elizabeth and Alice Louise, all of Cheyenne. Three sisters and one brother live in Canada and another brother lives in North Dakota.
Since coming to Cheyenne Mr. Forbes has been active in the business and social life of the city. He was a member of the Cheyenne Industrial club, the Country club, the Masonic and Eastern Star lodges, and the lodge of the Elks.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.
["Wyoming State Tribune-Cheyenne State Leader", November 8, 1917, transcribed by, Amanda Jowers]

Henry Miller
Funeral services for Henry Miller, rancher of Arcola, who died two days ago at Evanston, as a result of injuries sustained while caring for a herd of dairy cows, will be held Friday afternoon at the Early mortuary at 2 o’clock. The body arrived in Cheyenne from Evanston yesterday
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (6 Dec. 1917) - MZ - Sub by FoFG]

Mrs. George Voorhees
The sad news was received in Cheyenne today that Mrs. George H. Voorhees, after a brief illness, had died at the ranch home near Pinedale, Thursday afternoon. Death was due to spinal meningitis. George Voorhees, husband of the deceased is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Luke Voorhees of Cheyenne. Two young sons also survive. Mrs. George Voorhees before her marriage was Miss Partridge of Lusk. The remains will arrive on No. 20 Saturday morning and the burial will take place at Lakeview cemetery. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (24 May 1918) - MZ - Sub by FoFG]

C.E. Worley
PINE BLUFFS, March 15. – C. E. Worley died Friday morning in the hospital in Cheyenne following an operation the early part of this week for gall stones. Mr. Worley had been in poor health for some time. He had been a resident of this section for a number of years. [
Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (15 Mar. 1921)-MZ - Sub by FOFG]

(Infant) Sinclair
PINE BLUFF, Wyo., Dec. 20. – The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. John E. Sinclair was buried in Pine Bluffs cemetery. It lived only a short time.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (20 Dec. 1920) -MZ - Sub by FOFG]

Mrs. Erick Johnson
PINE BLUFF, Wyo., Dec. 20. – Mrs. Erick Johnson, aged about ?6 years, died at the family home southeast of town Thursday, December 16, after an illness of dropsy and heart trouble for some time. She leaves her husband and four sons, ranging from 3 to 15 years of age, also her mother, Mrs. Emily Hurlburt; a sister, Mrs. W. H. Samuelson and two brothers, J. L. and George Hurlburt, all of this place. Funeral services were held at the Community church Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. O. E. Johnson, and the order of the Eastern Star, of which the deceased was a member, had charge of the services at the cemetery.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (20 Dec. 1920) -MZ - Sub by FOFG]

Eva Smith
The body of Miss Eva Smith arrived in Cheyenne today and is being held at the Early-Bricker Brothers parlors until arrangements are made for the funeral, which probably will be held about the middle of the week. Miss Smith died last Thursday night at Thermopolis, where she had gone to take a nursing case. She had been ill only a few days.
During the world war she served as a Red Cross nurse at Camp Cody, Deming, N.M., and Fort Douglas, Salt Lake City, and since then had made her home in Cheyenne, where she gained hundreds of friends. She was graduated from the training school at St. John’s hospital in 1915.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (30 Sept. 1920) -MZ - Sub by FOFG]

Mrs. Theodore Smith
Mrs. Theodore Smith of Divide, Laramie county, died December 30 at her home after a long illness. The deceased is survived by her husband and two children. Mrs. Smith came to Wyoming with her family in 1909 and has been a highly esteemed woman in the community. The funeral services will be held at the chapel of Hobbs, Huckfeldt and Finkbiner Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock, Rev. C. F. Fisher, officiating. The burial will take place in Lakeview cemetery.
[Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (4 Jan. 1921) -MZ - Sub by FOFG]

Henry Hall
BURNS, Wyo., Sept. 3. – Funeral services for Henry Hall, who died Wednesday of last week, were held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred McDowell, Rev. Mr. Christie of Carpenter officiating. The remains were laid to rest in the Burns cemetery. Mr. Hall was prominent in the community. [Wyoming State Tribune – Cheyenne State Leader (4 Sept. 1921) -MZ - Sub by FOFG]

General J. W. Fisher
CHEYENNE, Wyo., Oct. 18. - General J. W. Fisher died at his home in this city today at the age of 86 years.  General Fisher was one of Wyoming's pioneers, coming to Cheyenne in 1871, as associate justice of the territorial court.  He was appointed by President Grant.  He was afterwards chief justice of the Supreme Court for over eight years.  His war record was particularly brilliant, rising from the ranks of volunteers to be a brigadier general.  At the Battle of Bethesda Church he had supreme command of the union forces.  He leaves a family of three sons and one daughter, together with numerous grandchildren. (The Topeka Daily Capital, Topeka, Kans., October 19, 1900)

Samuel Merrill
Samuel Merrill, Lumberman Dead
PORTLAND, Ore., March 14 – Samuel Merrill, 77, founder of the Morrison Merrill Lumber company, former mayor of Cheyenne, Wyo., and Wyoming state legislator, died in a hospital here early today following a major operation.  Merrill, who formerly resided at Salt Lake City, where the Morrison-Merrill company maintained headquarters, lived in retirement in Spokane.  He was well known on the Pacific coast for his lumber activities.  He is survived by four daughters, one son, a sister and one brother.  Funeral services will be held at Spokane, probably Sunday. (The Eugene Guard, Eugene, OR Friday, March 14, 1930 submitted by Jim Dezotell)

Donald W. Wilson
Donald W. Wilson, 78, Cheyenne, Wyo., formerly of Washburn and Hazelton, died Dec. 24, 2006, at Mountain Towers Healthcare. Services were held at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Hazelton.  Intermnet was in Cheyenne Memorial Gardens.  He is survived by his wife, Dolores; one son, David, Broomfield, Colo.; one daughter, Audrey Martell, Cheyenne; seven granchildren, two sisters, Doris Rieke, McMinnville, Ore., and Marge Schaaf, Harlingen, Texas; and two brothers, Allen Schauer, Wilton, and Richard Schauer, Underwood.  Wiederspahn-Radomsky Chapel of the Chimes, Cheyenne. (Bismark Tribure, Bismark North Dakota, January 17, 2007 submitted by Jim Dezotell)

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright Genealogy Trails