Sweetwater County, Wyoming
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Obituaries and Death Notices

PARK, James --
We are sorry to chronicle the death of another of Rock Springs' young boys taken just as he was arriving at an age when life was dear and promised so much for him and his parents. James Park, 13 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Park, was brought home dead from the ranch of Stanley Crouse at Brown's Park at an early hour on Monday. The lad had gone to the country to spend his vacation and went from the ranch the later part of the week previous, for a little fishing trip. He was very ill on Friday from eating berries which were poisonous and everything was done that was possible. He seemed better for a time but on Sunday became very much worse and it was decided to bring him to town, although it was not known his condition was so serious. Stanley Crouse hitched up his team and started to town, stopping at the Greenbow ranch to rest the boy and to administer to his comfort. They made the start for town and the boy grew worse and was picked by Mr. Crouse and held in his arms, dying almost immediately. He drove to the boy's home where it was his sad task to break the news to his parents and family, who were prostrated with grief. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at the Congregational church. Rev. Webber preaching the sermon. The pallbearers were picked from among his schoolmates, and the services were very largely attended by friends of the family and of the young man, who was born and raised in Rock Springs. Beautiful flowers in great profusion attached the affection of his friends. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of the entire community in their hour of bitter trial. [Friday August 11, 1916, Rock Springs Rocket]

PARKER, Harry S. -- The whole community was shocked on Wednesday evening to learn of the sudden death of Harry S. Parker, which occurred at 5:10 that evening at the warehouse of his on, Harry G.. Parker, on J street. Mr. Parker was seemingly in his usual health and had gone over to assist his son with some work at the warehouse.
They had completed their task and Mr. Parker had just stepped out of the door to go homo, when he fell backward. His son caught him as he fell. but life was extinct. His heart had ceased to perform its duties.
The death of a well known man is always a shock, but when it comes with such suddenness as in this case It seems almost unbelievable. Mr. Parker had not been in good health for Home time but he was of a robust build and of a genial disposition and even the members of his family did not realize his serious condition.
Harry Steven Parker was born in Bristol. England. February 17. 1856. He came with his parents to America in 1870. living for a time on a farm in eastern Ohio. He was married on February 5, 1877 to Miss Lucy Williams. They came to Rock Springs in 1888, where he entered the employ of the Union Pacific Coal Co. He served for thirteen years as outside foreman of old No. 1 mine, the mine which gained for Rock Springs coal its widely known reputation.
In later years Mr. Parker has held various position of trust, both for the state and the city. He was a life long Republican and at the time of his death was a candidate for Justice of the Peace on the Republican ticket. He was widely known in this section of Wyoming and had an immense circle of friends. He is survived by his widow and four children; Mrs. S. F. Ramsay, Mrs. Robert Kellogg, Miss Blanche Parker and Harry G. Parker, all of this city.
The funeral will take place at the Congregational church on Sunday afternoon, to which the friends of the family are invited. He was a member of the K. of P. lodge, which order will attend in a body.
[Rock Springs Miner, Friday, October 22, 1920]

PARKS, Raymond Stanley ended his courageous battle with life on August 16, 1991. Ray was born August 19, 1930 in South Dakota. He married Betty Jean O'Brien on September 11, 1953. Ray worked in the Lark Mine until its closure, he then relocated his family to Green River, Wyoming. Those who knew and loved Ray will remember him ofr his strength, determination and sense of humor. He is survived by his mother, Zola Parks Buzzy; three sisters, Margaret, phyllis and Joyce, all of California; his wife, Betty; his children, Penny Christensen, Billie Ray and Monty Bullock; Brien Jay Parks; JaLynn and Norman Oliver; Machelle Parks and Kathy Brockelsby; eight grandchildren, Jeremy, David, Derick, Jared, Shane, John-John, Jamie and Damian, all of Wyoming. Funeral services will be held 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, August 20, 1991, at the Vase Funeral Home, Flaming Gorge Chapel, in Green River Wyoming, where friends may call from noon until 1:45 p.m. prior to the service. Interment, Riverview Cemetery, Green River, Wyoming. May God Who calls our dear ones home and grants them peace and rest, Give us the strength and faith to say that he alone knows best-We'll miss you Ray

PARTON, Harry E. -- The death of Harry E. Parton occurred at the Wyoming General Hospital, on the afternoon of Friday June 4 1915 after an illness of many months duration. Mr Parton was born in Portobello Staffordshire, England Jan 30th 1854. He grew in manhood in his native land and in that country was married to Miss Mary Gee. They came to the United States in 1881 locating first in Erie Colorado. Then years later they came to Rock Springs and the remainder of their lives was spent here. Mrs. Parton passed away on January 3, 1911 and since that time Mr. Parton has been in declining health. Of a family of eight children four have passed away and four are left to mourn the loss of their parents. Those living are William, Enoch, Frank and Margaret. He also leaves seven half sisters and one half brother who reside in Colorado. He was widely acquainted in Sweetwater county and will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends. The funeral services took place on Tuesday afternoon, at the Congregational church and were conducted by the Rev. F. C. Lewis. The services were under the auspices of the Knights and Ladies of the Golden Eagle who were present in a body

PATERSON, W. W. -- Mr. Paterson left here about three weeks ago to take a course of treatment in a Denver institution, having been in poor health for some time, he died Thursday at an early hour in the morning.. His letters home had been cheerful and his friends were expecting his return in a few days, when the news of his death came without warninglike a thunderbolt from a clear sky. No particulars of his illness are known here at this time, and his family are stunned by the terrible shock and are anxious to learn further details.
Mr. Paterson was born in Blyth; England, in I860, and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Paterson, pioneer residents of Rock Springs. He came to America with his parents when but four years of age, living in several eastern states before coming to Wyoming. In 1874 the Paterson family came to Rock Springs, at that time but a straggling group of houses, and ever since the Patersons have been a factor in the up building of the community Since that time W. W. Paterson has been a resident, witnessing its growth to the thriving little city of today.
For a number of years he was employed by the Union Pacific railroad, until an accident caused injuries which made his retirement necessary. He served for three terms as county assessor, and at their conclusion entered into business, out of which has grown the successful hardware business which he conducted at the time of his death.
On October 5th, 1893, he was married to Miss Mary Dixon, a teacher in the city schools, and their married life has been an unusually happy one. They were always the most congenial companions and the sympathy of the community goes out to Mrs. Paterson in her great loss.
Next to his home life, Mr. Patersons greatest happiness was in the work of the Knights of Pythias, and he was one of the leaders of that order in Wyoming. He was a Past Grand Chancellor of Wyoming, and was for four years the Supreme Representative, representing the Wyoming lodge at the Winnipeg, Canada, Portland and New Orleans conclaves. In the local lodge he was also an untiring worker.
For several years he had been a member of the Rock Springs School Board and he was greatly interested in securing the new grade buildings for the city. One of his regrets in leaving for Denver, was that he must lay aside this work for a time. He was always ready with time and money to support any movement for the good of the town and, in his death, Rock Springs has lost a splendid citizen.
Besides his widow, he is survived by two brothers and six sisters. The brothers are Andrew, of South Dakota, and George, of Iowa. The sisters are Mrs. Phipps and Mrs. Dugan, of Iowa, Mrs. Sarah Shedden, Mrs. Margaret Hodge and Mrs. Alice Keirle, of this city, and Mrs. Joseph Iredale, of Cheyenne.
Mr. Paterson's body will be brought to Rock Springs, arriving Saturday, and will be taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. Alice Keirle.
[Rock Springs Miner.]

Mr. Paterson's funeral was held last Monday afternoon in Rock Springs, from the Masonic temple.
[Green River Star Friday August 26, 1921]

PAWLESKA, Herbert, 74, of 341 Bramwell St., Green River, died Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at his home. A longtime resident of Green River, Pawleska had been in ill health for the past two years. He was born on Aug. 17, 1928, in North Loupe, Neb., the son of the late Anton and Flossie May Brown Pawleska. He attended schools in North Loupe. He married Catherine Anna Zwiener in Green River on March 25, 1950. Pawleska was employed as an equipment operator for FMC for 38 years. He was a member of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. His interests included vacationing and spending time with his family. Survivors include his wife, Catherine of Green River; two sons, Everett Pawleska of Ogden, Utah, and John Pawleska and wife Terry of Green River; three daughters, Elaine Boyer and husband Don, Deanna Bakkala and husband Alan, and Linda Maynard and husband Bud, all of Green River; one brother, Everett Dean Pawleska of Green River; one sister, Evie McDonald of Green River; 10 grandchildren, Steve Boyer, Jeremy Boyer, Heather Boyer, Cory Pawleska, Troy Pawleska, Crystal Hansen, Samantha Maynard, Randy Maynard, Melissa Yoshimume and Jennifer Geiger; six great-grandchildren, Kadie Hansen, Haley Hansen, Ashley Boyer, Kyle Boyer, Katrina Maynard and Madison Maynard; and several cousins, nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; one brother, Edward Pawleska; and one sister, Mary Pish. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 19, 2003, at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 900 Hitching Post Drive, Green River. A rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. on Friday, July 18, 2003, at the church. The Rev. Tom Sheridan will officiate. Interment will be in the Riverview Cemetery. Friends may call at the church Friday afternoon from 4-8 p.m. and again Saturday morning at the church until time of service.

PENROD, Margaret -- The sad death of Mrs. Margaret Penrod occurred at. her homo in Reliance about 2 o'clock Monday morning. Mrs. Penrod was only 19 years of age, and she was a well known resident of both Reliance and Rock Springs. She was married to Earl Penrod about two years ago. They had been married only a short time when Mr. Penrod was called to the colors, he is In France at the present time with the 91st division. Besides hot husband she leaves to mourn her her death her father and mother. Mr and Mrs. Richard Daniels, and sisters, Louise. Elsie, Deihi and Ruth, and brothers. Leonard, Richard and Clifford, all of Reliance also a brother, Melvln, of Salt Lake City, and Edgar. also sister Sadie, of Camp Cody, who has been here since the 12th faithfully nursing her now departed sister. The family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. The funeral service took place from Ace's undertaking parlors Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. [Friday January 24, 1919, Rock Springs Miner]

PETERSEN, Marcus, after an illness of eighteen months duration, passed away last Saturday afternoon in the Wyoming General Hospital at Rock Springs. Mr. Petersen was injured several months ago by being thrown from a horse, and while he was rushed to the hospital and every attention given him within human power, he never recovered from the injury and passed on from the results of the accident on the date stated above.
Mr. Petersen was born in Germany thirty six years ago, coming to America when seven years of age, sixteen years of his life he has spent as a resident of Wyoming, and was a resident for a number of years of Green River, before going to his ranch near Robinson. He was known as a faithful friend, devoted husband and loving father, and his passing is mourned by many.
Seventeen years ago he led to the alter Miss Ida Buigges, of Dennison, Iowa, and to this union six children were born, five now living, the youngest being only three years of age. The grief stricken wife and children have the heartfelt sympathy of all in this their greatest hour of sorrow. The funeral was held last Wednesday afternoon from the Congregational church. Rev. G. M. Peacock conducting the services, and the mortal remains of this splendid citizen, earnest husband and beloved father were tenderly laid to rest in Riverview cemetery.
The funeral cortege was large, while the floral offerings were beautiful and numerous.
[Green River Star, Friday May 6, 1921]

PETERSON, Virgie Marie Slaugh, 88, died Thursday, June 28, 2007, in the Rocky Mountain Care Center in Evanston. She was born Dec. 30, 1918, in Vernal Utah, to her parents, Chloa Roberts and Curtis Edward Slaugh. She was the fourth of seven children. She was injured as a child of 18 months and had difficulty walking. However, her interests included horses, dancing, hunting, fishing and camping. She graduated from high school as the only member of her class. She spent most summers helping her father herd sheep around the Uinta Mountains and lived in town in the winter so she and her siblings could go to school. She married Shirley A. Peterson on Sept. 8, 1940. They had four children, O. Curtis, Virgil, Therryl and Shirleen. The marriage was later sealed in the Salt Lake Temple Sept. 10, 1970. She and her husband first moved to Green River in 1942. They moved many places to work and returned after World War II. They started to build a home on Logan Street in 1951. They both worked on the house in the evenings after work. Mrs. Peterson even fell off a ladder and hurt her arm while climbing to the roof. They moved into house in Dec. 11, 1958, and finally completed everything in 1970. She also worked outside the home and took care of her four children. In her later years she was a top seller for most of the 30 years she sold Avon. She served in the LDS church as a Sunday school teacher for 20 years, the primary for 17 years and many years in the Relief Society.
She is survived by sons, O. Curtis and wife Terri Peterson of Pocatello, Idaho and Virgil and wife Peggy Peterson of Ft. Bridger; daughters, Therryl and husband Dusty Anderson of Burly, Idaho, and Shirleen and husband Gary Peterson of West Jordan, Utah; sisters, Relva Potter of Lyman, Sybil and husband Leon Brady of Green River and Arva and husband Leo Slagowski; brother, Myron and wife Wanda Slaugh of Vernal; 16 grandchildren; 39 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; and many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her husband; parents; and two brothers, Wesley and Marvin Slaugh. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 3, 2007, in the Green River LDS Second Ward Chapel, 120 Shoshone Ave., Green River. Interment will be in the Riverview Cemetery. Friends may call at the church on Thursday from 9:30-10:45 a.m

PETTY, Kenneth L. Sr. 68, of Green River, died Thursday, June 12, 2008, at the Sage View Care Center in Rock Springs. A longtime resident of Green River and former resident of Carlsbad, N.M., he had been in ill health for the past four years. He was born Feb. 9, 1940, in Junction, Texas, the son of William and Ruby Taggert Petty. He attended schools in Carlsbad.
He married Peggy York Petty in 1960 in Juarez, Mexico. They later divorced. He later married Dwanna Petty. Mr. Petty served in the U.S. Navy. He worked for OCI for many years until ill health forced him to retire in 2004. Prior to this, he worked as a miner for the Duvall Mine for 17 years in Carlsbad. Mr. Petty was a member of the National Rifle Association.
His interests included fishing and hunting.
Survivors include one son, Kenneth Petty Jr. and wife Marilyn of Green River; two daughters, Lorrna Renee Ross of Bakersfield, Calif., and Genilia Gail Carmine and husband Robert of Green River; one sister, Wanda Petty of Killeen, Texas; eight grandchildren, Kenneth Rollins, Peggy Rollins, LaShandra Bowen, Brad Bybee, Ryan Bybee, Christopher Carmine, Robert Carmine and Ryan D. Carmine; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; former wives; two brothers, Jerry and Larry Petty; and twin sisters, Glenda and Linda.
Funeral services will be conducted 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 18, 2008, at the Vase Flaming Gorge Chapel, 263 Flaming Gorge Way, Green River. Pastor Paul Henderson will conduct the services. Military graveside services and interment will be conducted by the American Legion Archie Hay Post No. 24 at the Riverview Cemetery in Green River. Friends may call from 4-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 17, 2008, at the Vase Flaming Gorge Chapel and one hour prior to funeral services Wednesday at the chapel.

PIERANTONI, Marino Morey, 89, of 609 Ludvig Ave., Rock Springs died in his sleep on Wednesday, May 11, 2005, at the Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County. A longtime resident of Rock Springs, Pierantoni died following a brief illness. He was born on Nov. 11, 1915, in Glenco, the son of Angelo and Lucia Pierantoni. His early schooling was in Cumberland and then Superior. He married his high school sweetheart, Sarah Gillilan, on Jan. 14, 1936. The couple lived in Superior where he worked for the U.P. DO Clark Mine for 29 years. When the mine closed, he moved his family to Rock Springs and continued to work at Stauffer C10 for 15 years. He was appointed Wyoming state mine inspector for seven years until his retirement in 1982. His interests included his family, polka dancing One More Time! and all of his friends. He is survived by his wife of 69 years, Sarah Pierantoni; four children, Jerry Pierantoni and wife Judy of Torrington, Sam Pieran-toni, Jim Pierantoni and wife Kathy, all of Rock Springs and Dennis Swanson and wife Sherri of Livermore, Calif.; eight grandchildren, Troy Pierantoni, Kristi Neisen, Justin Pierantoni, Cody Pierantoni, Katie Pierantoni, Emily Pope, Nathan Swanson and Matthew Swanson; and nine great-grandchildren, Jason Pierantoni, Joshua Pierantoni, Beth Pierantoni, Steven Neisen, Cassandra Neisen, Haley Neisen, Kallianne Pierantoni, Camryn Pierantoni and Conner Pierantoni. He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and one sister. Cremation will take place. Memorial services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 17, 2005, at the First Congregational Church, 1275 Adams Ave., Rock Springs. Inurnment will take place in Rest Haven Memorial Gardens.

PILLILAS - Paul Pissilas, an inmate of the County Farm was suddenly stricken ill, and was found dead on the bath room floor, his death pronounced due to a stroke of apoplexy. The remains were taken to Rock Springs. Mr. Pissilas was born in Italy, May 15, 1849, being 71 years of age. He came to America having resided here over 40 years. He followed the work of a miner, and before entering the County Farm worked in the mines at Reliance. He apparently has no relatives in this country, so leaves only friends to mourn his loss. ["Green River Star" Friday October 15, 1920]

PLESTONJAK -- The death of Mrs. Antonio Plestonjak occurred at her home. in Reliance on Monday, May 11th. from pneumonia. She leaves a husband and three small sons to mourn her death. She was thirty-eight years of age. The funeral was held on Wednesday morning. from the North Side Catholic church [May 16, 1914 Rock Springs Miner]

POTTER, Mable Virgie Call, 87, died in the early hours Dec. 4, 2005, at Castle Rock Convalescent Center in Green River after being in ill health since April of this year. She was born Sept. 29, 1918, in Afton (Star Valley), the daughter of Farnham Lamoni Call and Lillie May Welch. She was the 5th of eight children. She attended school in Afton. Her high school education was curtailed by a severe motorcycle accident resulting in a badly fractured leg. She was bedridden for one year. She was born into a family of perfectionists with many varied talents and trades. Her father and brothers were all more than carpenters. They were craftsmen with wood, building many homes and businesses in and out of the Star Valley area. Her father helped his father, Anson Vascoe Call II, build the Star Valley Stake Center in Afton. The women were talented seamstresses, designers, homemakers and milliners. She married Rex Miller Draney on Oct. 16, 1934, in Randolph, Utah. To this union were born four children, Jeraldine Jasperson, Delano Rex Draney, Leland Call Draney and Roger Kent Draney. A divorce resulted in her later marrying Delbert Milton Johnson on July 20, 1945, in Ogden, Utah. She then became mother to his two children, Klaar, 5 and Jon Howard, 2. Her husband was in construction work so the family moved on the average of five times a year until settling in Layton, Utah. They were later divorced. After several years of living with her daughter, Jeraldine in Green River, she met and married Cyril Potter on Oct. 11, 1958, in Green River, where they made their home. She was employed for many years with Little America. Mrs. Potter was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Her talents extended to designing and building not only with sewing and crochet but to woodwork, home building, laying carpet, doing rock work as well as being an exemplary homemaker. She filled her home with beautiful homemade items. She was the happiest sewing and making wonderful meals for her family and friends. She sewed an outfit which she designed and made from a newborn calf. It was worn by Betty Jo Potts when representing the Wyoming PTA in Washington, D.C., in 1959. Her other interests were her children, grandchildren, spending time and talents with them at every opportunity, the outdoors, camping, hunting, and cooking. Survivors include a brother, Verdell Call of Afton; a daughter, Jeraldine Jasperson and husband Tex of Green River; a son, Delano Draney of Rock Springs; 10 grandchildren; 30 great-grandchildren; and nine great-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband Cyril; brothers, Lamoni, Garwin, Lathair and Lawrence; sisters, Sylvia (infant), and Fontella Harrison; two sons, Leland and Roger; two grandsons, Kole Jasperson and Rod Rick Draney; and stepson, Jon Howard Johnson. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, 2005, at the Green River LDS 7th Ward Chapel, 1250 W. Teton Blvd., Green River. Friends and family may call from 9:30-11 a.m. Saturday at the church. Interment will be in the Riverview Cemetery in Green River.

PRATER, Kenneth A. Prater, 72, of Niland, Calif., died Oct. 29, 2002, at the Pioneers Memorial Hospital in Brawley, Calif. He was born on Dec. 27, 1929, in McCurtain County, Okla., the son of Alvie and Leona Mae Shelton Prater. He moved to Arizona where he met and married Bessie L. Stover in Florence, Ariz., on April 27, 1947.
Prater had been self-employed as a concrete finisher, landscaper and welder for many years until his retirement. His interests were hunting, fishing, welding and kids. He and his wife spent several summers in Farson with their sons. Survivors include his wife, Bessie of Niland; two sons, Larry Prater and wife Lynn, Steve Prater and wife Marie, all of Farson; five daughters, Clara McLain and husband Jay of Eagle Creek, Ore., Ellen Morrison and husband John of Chehalis, Wash., Diana McLain of Oregon City, Ore., Lola Sofich and husband Chuck of Clackamas, Ore., and Mary Riordan and husband Mike of Portland, Ore.; three brothers, Melvin Prater of Niland, Andy Prater and Terry Prater, both of Broken Bow, Okla.; six sisters, Esther Evans, Virginia O'Brien, Lila Highful, all of Broken Bow, Bernice Murray of Brawley, Shirley Hardy of Amarillo, Texas, and Patsy Bancil of California; 15 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. Funeral services were conducted on Friday, Nov. 1, 2002, in Brawley. Graveside services and interment will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2002, at the Eden Valley Cemetery in Farson.

PREECE, Edna passed away on Wednesday morning at 7:30 oclock at her home on West Flat after an illness with heart trouble extending over a period of several years, one time being able to be up and around and then being ill in bed. The deceased is of Welsh nationality, having been born in Beaufort, Wales. She came to this country in the 1908 with her three children to join her husband who had been her two months before. Mr. Preece died in two weeks after his family arrived from injuries received in the U. P. Coal company mines.
Left to mourn her loss are two sons Stanley and Monte, and one daughter Edna, and her relatives in the old country. The funeral services were held this afternoon at 2 oclock at her late home, Rev. Morten Joslin of the Episcopal church officiating. The Rebekah lodge of which the deceased had been a member for a number of years, had part in the services, which were largely attended.
[Rock Springs Rocket, January 30, 1920]

PRUVEDEL, Settina -- The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pruvedel died at Lion on Monday. The little one was only 25 days old. She was buried in Mountain View cemetery. Rock Springs, on Wednesday. [Wyoming State Tribune- Cheyenne State Leader, 15 February 1918]

PUGHE, Dr. Tialiliesin Wilim Owen -- On Saturday, October 7, 1893 Dr. Tialiliesin Wilim Owen Pughe died of phthisis pulmonalis at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Griff W. Edwards. A messenger was prompotly dispatched to Mr. Edwards who was at one of his sheep camps and he arrived in time to assist in the obsequies on Sunday afternoon. The deceased was a member of the Masonic fraternity and the local lodge here took full charge of the funeral and interred the remains with all the solemnity and impressiveness so characteristic of the Masonic burial services. Although far from home he breathed his last among friends who smoothed his pillow and watched over him with tenderness and love as the tide of life quietly ebbed away. Upon his casket, as it lay in the tomb, the sprig of green fell from the hand of each Masonic brother with as affectionate a "farewell" as if the life they had battled against the world side by side ad knew each others sorrows ad triumphs. The demise of Dr. Pughe is melancholy in the extreme. Young in wars, 38 years of age .He was advancing rapidly to the top of his profession in Liverpool, Englaud, when the dread disease began crumbling his constitution until finally he had to surrender to its attacks and he left for the Rocky mountains on the 13th of September to visit Mr. and Mrs. Edwards and seek recuperation by change of climate. He arrived in Rock Springs on Sunday, Oct. 1st, very weak and in physical distress, owing to the light air. While crossing Sherman Hill, the highest point on the road, he experienced great difficulty in breathing and thought every minute was his last. After resting several days and receiving every comfort the within power of Mrs. Edwards to give, he seemed to feel better and his spirits revived but it was not to be. The grim messenger claimed him at last. Dr. Pughe was a companion in boyhood days of Mr. Griff W. Edwards having been born in their native town of Aocrdover,.Merionethshire, Wales, he graduated from Guy's hospital, London, and was one of too most prominent physicians and surgeons in Liverpool. England, but although early cut down in his field of use fullness the medical profession is better that la once lived. The pall bearers were Dr. Norton, Dr. Field, Frank H. Hamlin, James Holmes, William J. Johnston and Lloyd P. Thomas. Requieseat in pace.

QUINTON, James L., 52, of 1700 Swanson No. 3, Rock Springs, died on Saturday, Dec. 29, 2007, at the Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County. A lifelong resident of Reliance and Rock Springs, Mr. Quinton died following a sudden illness. He was born on April 30, 1955, in Rock Springs, the son of James and Delma Cooper Quinton. Mr. Quinton attended school in Rock Springs and was a Rock Springs High School graduate with the class of 1973. He was employed by Peak Security Systems as a Security Officer and had worked there for seven and one half years. He was a member of Victory Christian Fellowship. His interests included spending time with his nieces and nephews, his church and studying the Bible. Survivors include his father, James Quinton of Reliance; two brothers, Dean Quinton and wife Jan of Rock Springs and James R. Adams of Oakdale, Calif.; four aunts; one uncle; several cousins, nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his mother, Delma Quinton, who died on Dec. 24, 1994; one sister, Betty Jo Hendrix; one brother, Earl Adams; and his maternal and paternal grandparents. Funeral Services will be conducted at 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4, 2008, at the Vase Funeral Chapel, 154 Elk St., Rock Springs. Interment will be in the Rest Haven Memorial Gardens. Friends may call at the funeral chapel, Thursday afternoon from 4-8 p.m. and again on Friday one hour prior to services. The family of James L. Quinton will be receiving relatives and friends at 365 H St., Rock Springs.

RAE, Allan -- Word was received in this city last Saturday announcing the death of Allan Rae of Kemmerer and stating that the body would be brought to Rook Springs the following day. that the funeral services might be held and interment made here.
The news occasioned much sadness among the old friends residing here, who had known Mr. Rae for many years and who hoped that he still had a long and useful life before him. The remains were brought here Sunday morning and taken to the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Anderson, until Tuesday afternoon at which time the funeral services were held at the Episcopal church. The funeral was under the auspices of the Masons conducted by Rev Murphy, and was attended by many friends of the family.
Allan Rae was born at Stonehouse, Scot land, 59 years ago last July. He came to America thirty Years ago, locating first in Illinois, but coming in a short time to Rock Springs, where he resided for nearly twenty years. Nine years ago he was offered a good position at Kemmerer and removed to that place. He had been on a fishing trip and while on this trip sustained injuries by being thrown from a wagon. He lived but three days after his return death resulting from bowel trouble.
He leaves to mourn, a devoted wife and six children, Mrs.. Gleason of Chicago. Mrs. Charles Crone and Mrs.. Harry Harris of Frontier, Mrs.. Ed Carlson and Robert Rae of Searchlight, NV. and Andrew Rae of Rawlins. All were present at the funeral services except Mrs. Gleason and Robert Rae.. Robert arrived on Thursday, having received the news of his fathers death too late to reach here for the funeral. [September 1907, Rock Springs Rocket]

RADOSEVICH, George -- The funeral of George Radovlch, a little two year old boy, was held from the North Side Catholic church on Thursday afternoon. His death occurred on Wednesday. (Rock Springs Miner May 16, 1914)

RADOSEVICH, Steve V., 100, died March 8, 2007, at The Inn at Deer Run Assisted Living in Star Valley, where he had been residing for about 2 weeks. Radosevich was born Dec. 5, 1906, in Gallup, N.M., one of six children of George and Mary Radosevich. His family moved to Rock Springs in 1911 where they owned and operated the Yellowstone Grocery. and cabins in Blairtown. There he met and married, Arlie Teters, his bride of 75 years. He attended school in Rock Springs, but spent most of his time at the stockyard in Blairtown. His father said he graduated from the stockyard in eighth grade and went to work, tending mine horses for the Blairtown mine. During the Depression, his father purchased the Willow Creek Ranch in Browns Park, Utah, and Radosevich and his family moved out there to operate it. After his fathers death, he purchased the Ranch from his siblings. He worked from time to time for Wyoming Game and Fish. He later worked for Utah Fish and Game for 10 years. He received many awards and citations for his public relations role for the state. His interests included hosting many festive occasions at his home, hard work and people. He is survived by his three children, Alex and wife Joan of Willow Creek Ranch in Browns Park, and Mary Lou Moser and husband Carl, with whom he lived for the last two years, and Georgann Besso and husband Chuck, all of Star Valley; one foster son, Donald Lindsley and wife Carma of Granger; 13 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; 18 great-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his mother and father; wife; three sisters in infancy and sister Angela Yardas; two brothers, John and George; a grandson, Paul Besso; several brother- and sister-in-laws; one niece; and one nephew. Pallbearers will include Michael and Zane Radosevich, Ron Besso, Don Lindsley, Philip Hardy and Bill Kunkel. Honorary pallbearers will include Steve Brayton, Terry Ried, Jack Lytle, Tom, Joe, John and Larry Radosevich, Marc and T. Wright Dickinson, John Hmenia, Vernon Mrak, Frank Shiflar, Alfred Jereb, Rudy Pivik, Steve and Bill Logan, Don Moon and Fred Radosevich. Funeral services are pending.

RILEY, Barney -- On last Sunday evening about 5 o'clock the startling news was circulated about town that Barney Riley, one of Green Rivers oldest and respected citizens, had been found dead by his little son Phillip at his home just east of the Union Pacific depot.
Mr. Riley was troubled with his heart and that morning had met with a very close call in the yards here, where he was employed as night car inspector, and had been working over-time of late, in fact he had not secured his usual sleep, and on retiring that morning had requested his wife not to disturb him if anyone called, as he wished to get a good days rest. Mrs. Riley busied herself at home until about 3 oclock or a little after, and seeing her husband resting peacefully, left the home with Mrs. A. M. Gudmundsen to visit with a few of their lady friends, little suspecting that in two hours time she would be called home to the side of her dead husband, who it seems must have taken suddenly ill and getting up went to the kitchen door, where he was found by his little son about 5 oclock in a very bad condition. The little fellow ran for aid and a doctor, but Mr. Riley never regained consciousness.
It is especially sad when we realize that the Riley family have been visited by the cold hand of death three times in the past five years, and the passing away of the head of the family casts a deep gloom, not only over the home, where his every kind word and act was cherished, but over the entire community.
Mr. Riley has been a valued employee of the Union Pacific at this point for the past twenty-eight years, and in this city he wedded the mother of his four sons who survive him, boys who are the souls of honor and who value a good and true parentage and in the little home where each in turn saw the light of day, the father passed to that great beyond, their with his children, who have crossed the river of death before him, to wait the coming of his loved ones, when the Master calls them home.
Mr. Riley was a valued member of the A. O. U. W. and among the many floral offerings was a beautiful Floral anchor the gift of the members of that order.

The funeral was held last Wednesday morning from the Catholic church, Father Nolan of Rock Springs, conducting the service, and no plainer could Mr. Rileys popularity been shown than by the long cortege which followed the remains from the church to the grave, the machine shops and every business house being closed during the funeral service. The pall bearers were: L. Viox, R. H. Lawrence, A. H. Anderson, Henry Eiler, Wm. McCabe and P. Jessen.
[The Wyoming Star, Green River, Friday October 23, 1903]

RIVERA, Jose T. "Teddy Bear" 82, of Rock Springs died Saturday, July 12, 2008, at his residence following a lengthy illness.
He was born May 12, 1926 Costillia, N.M., the son of Juan Teodoro Rivera and Lilly Casias Galvez.
He attended schools in Costillia. He married Priscilla Martinez on Jan. 28, 1950, in Lander.
He served in the U.S. Army during WWII and received honorable discharge in 1946. He served in the 158th infantry and was awarded the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, Army of Occupation Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal and the Philippine Liberation Ribbon.
He was employed with Allied Chemical (General Chemical) in Green River for 23 years, retiring in September of 1984.
He was a member of the American Legion, the United Steel Workers of America No. 15320 and the Holy Spirit Catholic Community.
His interests included hunting, fishing, working in his garage, yard work, traveling, boxing, football and spending time with family and friends.
Survivors include his wife, Priscilla Rivera of Rock Springs; three sons, Ernie Rivera and wife JoAnn of Farson, Murrell Rivera and wife Marsha, and Teddy C. Rivera all of Rock Springs; two daughters, Frances Reed and husband Doyle, and Laurie Cheadle all of Rock Springs; brother, Dave Galvez of Rock Springs; three sisters, Margaret Martinez and husband Juan of Reliance, Ruth Frady of Rock Springs, Mary Agnes Chavez of Salt Lake City; sister-in-law Dee Rivera of Denver; 12 grandchildren, Eli Rivera and wife Jennie, Steven Reed and wife Jenny, Jeremy Cheadle, Jonathan Cheadle, Robert Reed, Shawn Reed, Kenny Grunder, Bobby Grunder all of Rock Springs, Murrell Rivera of Arkansas, Steve Ball of Salt Lake City, Crystal Rivera of Arkansas, Jerrelynn Rivera of Farson, Jean Ball of Rock Springs, Jamie West of Washington; one great-granddaughter, Jade Audrey Reed of Rock Springs; several aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, brother Fred S. Rivera, stepfather Dan Galvez and son-in-law Rickie Lee Cheadle.
Friends may call 4-6 p.m. Wednesday, July 16, 2008, at Fox Funeral Home, 2800 Commercial Way, Rock Springs. Cremation will follow at Fox Crematory. No services will take place.

ROBERTS, Dorothy Jane Jones, 59, died Sunday at St. Benedicts Hospital following an extended illness. Mrs. Roberts was born March 2, 1913, a daughter of Bert H. and Mary Jane McCourt Jones. She was married to Chester M. Roberts on October 30, 1933 in Odgen. She has lived in Rock Springs, Wyoming prior to moving to Ogden in 1956.
Surviving are her husband of Ogden, two daughters, Mrs. Ronald (Mary Ann) McMillan of Rawlins, Wyo., Mrs. Larry (Judy) McNally, Rock Springs, Wyo, her parents of Ogden. Also surviving are two brothers, John E. Jones, Bert M. Jones both of Ogden, four sisters, Mrs. Hazel Dodnen of Ogden, Mrs. Robert E. (Betty) Galbraith, of Riverside, Calif., Mrs. Jack R. (Berneice) Williams, Rock Forrest, Ill., Mrs. R. H. (Ella Jean) Wartham, Carson City, Nev.
Funeral services will be conducted Thursday at 3 p.m. in the First Congregational Church in Rock Springs, Wyo. Friends may call at the Vase Mortuery in Rock Springs Wednesday evening and Thursday prior to services. Burial in the Mountain View Cemetery in Rock Springs.
[Ogden Standard Examiner, Tuesday, February 20, 1973]

ROGAN, Charles, was instantly killed yesterday afternoon at No. 10. He was loading wood, and it is supposed he had pulled a piece of lumber from the bottom that was protruding out, making the pile away, which with the high wind, toppled it over on top of him. He was struck across the head in a couple of places making deep gashes, and across the back of his neck which broke his neck and killed him instantly. The accident occurred after his noon hour, and he was found by Elmer Moffitt. The deceased was the son of the late Patrick Rogan and was born at old Fort Laramie July 15, 1885. He came to Rock Springs with his parents when two years old and had spent almost his entire live in this community where he had a great many friends. He leaves four brothers, James, George, John and Frank Rogan; and three sisters, Mrs. John L. Reynolds, Mrs. Jesse James and Miss Mamie Rogan. The funeral services will be held at the South Side Catholic church next Monday morning at ten o'clock March 19, 1915 Rock Springs Rocket

ROSETTI, Ernest, the 13 year old son of Mr and Mrs. A Rosetti. died at the home of his parents, L street, on Tuesday evening. Dropsy was the cause of death and the little boy had been a sufferer for over five months. The funeral will take place on Sunday afternoon at half past two oclock from the South Side Catholic church. The parents have the sympathy of their many friends in their great loss. [Friday August 30, 1918, Rock Springs Miner]

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails